Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had with FF8. Either I got the weird black transition and everything else was fine or the transition was fine but the battle information (HP, limit break gauge, etc.) had a flashing black box behind it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Ah crap, still freezes with my new card. Tried PSXeven, but the FF7 sound is so damn slow (video is still at 60 fps), and the controller plugin crashes half the time. Gonna try looking around in forums for PSXeven solutions, as well as try out epsxe 1.5.2.

EDIT: No proper working solutions, things like increasing fps, or check this box to sync it, but it's not a sync prob, just slow, and also stuff like it's because your comp is slow...Ok, thinking about the problem, it only happens every hour or so, so what would the comp do if it's idle for an hour, or epsxe is being used for an hour? Screensaver? Turn off HD? Also going to try copy the ISO onto my main HD, since it's running off an external, which might cause the problem. Still, don't think it's ever happened to me before.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Ah, maybe that external disc has some saving feature turned on that makes it spin down after some time... you could check that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Copying it to an .iso on the harddrive should definitely answer that.

I would certainly check power features, since I've noticed while running emulators such as ZSNES and ePSXe that my computer often does the same. I have monitor shut off set to 45 minutes intentionally, and running emulators with my controller input doesn't seem to keep the computer from idling toward this, so the monitor will suddenly flick off as a result(ugh). Fortunately, when you play mostly RPGs this isn't as much a nuisance as it could potentially be.

Note that most bioses have power features, so you'll want to check those in addition to the Windows screensaver and power settings.

If you're certain it seems to bes scheduled, check your registry under the Run key, as well as the task manager to see what's running on your computer. Maybe you have a background process auto-checking for updates or performing some cpu intensive task.

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
n_w95482 said:
Your signature says "Athlon XP 1100+" but an 1100+ was never made (slowest Athlon XP I've seen was a 1500+). Have you tried cranking up your CPU's speed?
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot.
I set this speed few years back basically to underclock the processor. It seems like I got to change my signature soon.

Perhaps, I was wrong after all. I got to check the BIOS...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah, I have checked regedit, disabled many unnecessary services, checked msconfig, power settings, screen saver settings. What I don't really get is why my external HD would do that, I could watch 2 hour movies without any problem or slow down. Also, with PSX games, aren't the textures and some info loaded into memory? So even if you remove the CD, the game would run within the stuff loaded. I dunno, but once I free up some space, I'll move the ISO over to my internal and see how it goes. I tried 1.5.2 yesterday and had no problems, but didn't really play long enough to determine whether it was safe or not. My monitor doesn't flick off, the epsxe prog just freezes btw.

Something strange also happened once, I savestated at the exact time of the freeze, and it only saved some of the info, then all the dialogs were blank, no sound, and weird movements when I loaded it back up. Unfortunately, there was a pretty big gap between that save and the last, hate when that happens.

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
dutchMasta said:
Also, with PSX games, aren't the textures and some info loaded into memory? So even if you remove the CD, the game would run within the stuff loaded.

My monitor doesn't flick off, the epsxe prog just freezes btw.

I savestated at the exact time of the freeze, and it only saved some of the info, then all the dialogs were blank, no sound, and weird movements when I loaded it back up.
Well, I am unsure of the technical aspect of ePSXe.

Savestates are one of unrealiable way to save games and sometimes causes problems. Try pressing ESCAPE and FILE ----> CONTINUE and see if the situation changes.

I think this was caused when the savestate was used when the CD was reading or ePSXe made reads to the ISO(disk accesses).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
epsxe 1.5.2 works fine so far. i'll report back if i have any probs. thanks so far

21 - 28 of 28 Posts