Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm not sure if this is a FF7 specific problem, or how exactly I trigger this problem, but about every 30 mins, epsxe freezes while playing this, and I got the ctrl-alt-del and force close epsxe, and restart, and it goes past the place where it froze fine. My comp:
P4 2.4 GhZ, 1024MB RAM, Win XP Pro SP2, Geforce FX 5200 128MB RAM
I'm using an ISO, and it can't be a bad one since it's not freezing at one certain place.
My settings:
Full Screen 640x480, R8G8B8A8
Texture Filtering 4
Off-screen Drawing 4
Framebuffer textures 0
Framebuffer drawings 4
Alpha Multipass
Mask bit
Advanced blending
Screen smoothing
Disable screensaver (also done manually)
Special game fixes (just FF7 one, top one)
Using Petes OpenGL 1.75 and Eternal SPU.

If you have no idea, it doesn't matter too much, 30 mins is ok. With savestates I don't have to worry much about losing a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
That's pretty weird. Does it only happen with epsxe? Have you tried different psx games? Have you scanned your pc for virus, adware, spyware, etc? Do you keep your hard drive defragmented? Have you activated the debug console on epsxe (run->enable logs)? Does it show any error messages?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's more like 1.5 hours wait, and I rarely use epsxe or any psx emu for that matter, so I haven't really tried on any other games. I defrag a lot, yeah, about virii, I don't think I have any, scanned a few days ago, but norton was acting weird so I uninstalled. Looking for a light-weight anti-virus/adware prog. It's quite late now, but I'll check the debug console thing, and also check for virii tomorrow and tell you the results. I'm not sure if it freezes if I just leave it or whether it freezes after a certain time of activity, but don't think it should make a difference. I'll try leaving another game on for 2-3 hours, and see if it freezes tomorrow. I've never had this problem before, it's only after reformatting c then reinstalling windows xp. My graphics card is a bit buggy (jerky video when playing it in a maximised window, although fine in full screen, or any other size - happens on media player v9, v6.4 and classic), and has had MANY probs with drivers, but finally installed an old one which is supposed to be fully compatible, but is not, coz of that prob I mentioned earlier.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Wich card is it? Maybe there's the problem, epsxe is a little sensible when it comes to hardware.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I said in the first post, but its the Geforce FX 5200 by ASUStek.
Installing drivers later than 44.03 (the right one) = screen flicker when right clicking on media files, or comp restarts right after boot-up
Installing ASUS enhanced 44.03 driver = blue screen crash about 5 mins after playing ff7
Installing older drivers = forgot, but there was a problem
I'm planning on getting a newer one sometime soon, so hopefully that'll fix things

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Ups, i missed that :p . Anyway, a nice system cleanup is always good. Try it, and if doesn't work, let's hope the card replacement does the trick. I remember having lockup issues with my old geforce, and changing the card worked... but i had them with more programs, not only epsxe. I have the same behaviour with drivers, older worked, newer were unstable. So i really think it's the card.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I really want to be able to use the OpenGL2 plugin, it's so damn jerky on my card. It's going to be hard to get a damn good card, I don't have much money. I'm thinking Geforce 6800. Costs a hell of a lot though. If I want to unlock the true potential of PSX emulation, what card should I get, and should I get a newer CPU, etc. I'm planning on actually getting several new parts, and wondering what would be enough to play PSX games with best graphics and super-smooth (excluding slow-downs that always happen anyway). I'm only really upgrading coz my comp's real slow, but I play PSX games every now and then, so I'll go far enough to make them perfectly playable.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
dutchMasta said:
If I want to unlock the true potential of PSX emulation, what card should I get, and should I get a newer CPU, etc.
I would recommend a GeForce 6600GT if you don't want to spend a lot of money, they're like $220-240 on Newegg. It should work very well with PSX emulation :). You'll be able to set the X and Y resolution to Very High in Pete's OpenGL2 plugin as well as turn on some shaders if you want to. Your CPU should be fine, you could always overclock it a bit if you want to but the main thing that's holding it back is your video card. Replace that and you should notice a BIG jump in performance for any game you play.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I actually was thinking of getting that, and even bid a few times for it on e-bay, but got beaten at the end each time, I was a damn newb to bidding and bid for some crap I didn't want and won, so I requested a ban on my account. Ah well, I'll prob go back after I get income. Newegg = $197.50, nice, thanks!! I've never overclocked before, could you tell me a good reliable site? I'm sure I could find many, but not sure which one I'd pick out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Just to let you know, the cheaper ones on Newegg use PCI Express. The AGP versions are more expensive. Go here, select 6600 GT from the chipset list and select AGP 8x/4x from the interface list.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I got everything working, just to let you know.

I bought the 6800 GT and am using OpenGL 2 now and it's great. Cost a hell of a lot though

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
OMG....
Costs you a BOMB, am I correct?

Anyway, you can always come back here for help. ePSXe ngemu forums have veteran moderators to assist you on these problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, cost about US$411, but it's so damn good. Pity my CPU slows it down. But still works great with emu and pc games. Yeah, I've noticed that the mods reply quickly and are v helpful. I now have FF8 transition probs with opengl2, but I can cope with that. It works, but it's just a bit fuzzy. And moving to and from different screens is really slow (fade to/from black screen).

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
oO With that card? I bet you cranked everything to the max, but still amazes me that it's slow. Wich settings are you using for ogl2? Also, try making an ISO of the game, if you aren't using one yet.

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
For my computer config, I have everything MAXED and notice a drop (40-50/60 fps) in my frame rate. Perhaps, the reason would lie in the processor.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
It depends on the settings, some of them might be too much for your video card. It could be your CPU if you're using Pete's D3D or OGL plugins with framebuffer texture set to 0 and framebuffer access set to 4, as well as various settings in OGL2. Your signature says "Athlon XP 1100+" but an 1100+ was never made (slowest Athlon XP I've seen was a 1500+). Have you tried cranking up your CPU's speed?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I sort of did. It looks great and there are no slow downs in other games. The battle transition is sort of some weird black. Settings:
OpenGL2 2.6
------------
Full screen: 1024x768 32bit
X Res: 2
Y Res: 2
Tex filt: 4
Hi-res: 2
OSD: 1
Fb effects: 3
Fb upload: 2
Screen filtering + smoothing at max level (4)
MDEC
disable screensaver
WinXP/Geforce fix
ff7/ff8 special game fix

Hope you understand everything. BTW, yeah, I use ISOs, and the FPS stays at around 60, I think it's just like that in the game (ff8), moving from screen to screen being so slow, although I don't remember it being that slow on PC. I also tried using pe.ops.soft dunno exact name, but i think you know, and get exactly the same problems. Ah well...

I *might* soon get a new cpu and motherboard, I usually run many progs at once, so it kills my CPU. Thanks for the help so far

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Well, if you are running many programs, that's probably the cause. Just to mention, don't you think screen smoothing at the max makes the picture too blurry? If you just decided to put it to the max, try the different levels, maybe you'll like more a less blurred level.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I modified it in game, it seemed that 1-3 didn't make a much of a difference, and 4 made it look good. I just don't like pixels. I may test out other shaders. I tried without the progs running, and still got the same. I think it's either the settings or it's actually supposed to be like that and I'm just an impatient *******.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts