Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I´ve just loaded the image of the Final Fatasy origins CD, and I have a weird problem: FF2 is running smoothly at a constant 60 FPS, but FF1, which is on the same CD, is only running at 22 FPS at most, including start menu and FMVs. What´s up with that? Sorry if that was answered elsewhere, I searched but couldn´t find it.

I´m running epsxe 1.6. I know I should run 1.5.2 for FF games, but FF2 as well as FF9 are both working perfectly with the settings below. I was running the game in a 800x600 window. My system is a Athlon XP 2000+, 1 GB RAM, ATI 9500pro.

Plugin: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.1.16
Author: Pete Bernert and the P.E.Op.S. team

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - [16 Bit]
Stretch mode: 0
Dither mode: 0

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Misc:
- Scanlines: disabled
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the reply, but, uh, the FPS "auto" limit actually IS 60. Like I wrote, both FF2 and FF9 are running at 60 FPS most of the time, only FF1 does not.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
/me kicks fireblaster_lyz

anyway, your hardware is fast enough. try the "nice" preset on it and see. else, make an ISO, it could be a CD reading problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not quite...

hushypushy said:
/me kicks fireblaster_lyz
it could be a CD reading problem?
/me stubs hushypushy

nope, since it´s already an image file, as I wrote ;) The format, to be exact, is .img, as in "ripped by CloneCD".

hushypushy said:
anyway, your hardware is fast enough. try the "nice" preset on it and see.
Tried. Well, it worked. Not.
Still 22 FPS in the starting menu and opening FMV, and a whooping 7 FPS on the world map...

else, make an ISO,
When I ripped the cd as .iso with WinISO 5.3, the game just wouldn´t load at all, the screen remains black. The created .iso file is definitely valid, I can mount it as a virtual CD-ROM with Daemon Tools and view its contents via Explorer. Which program is best if I want to rip a cd as .iso for epsxe?

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
CloneCD and Alcohol 120%, using the ccd format, with either the 'game' or the 'playstation' profile.

Try the special fix 'Use PC FPS calculation'. Remember to activate both the special fix inside the special fixes submenu, and the 'special fixes' checkbox on the main config screen. Failin that, try ePSXe 1.5.2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
edit2:

I-Chan: The game technically works, it can´t be an image issue, because FF2 is running quite smoothly. FF1 is on the same cd/image and it runs at 7 FPS. So it has to be something in the settings or the epsxe version. So I tried with 1.5.2, but then the game wouldn´t start at all, neither with the .img nor with the .iso. "Use PC FPS calculation" didn´t work either. Any more ideas?

edit: the "Use PC FPS calculation" fix even slowed down FF2 by about 10 FPS

edit2: If I play from an image file, how does it affect the performance if I have other programs accessing the harddrive at the same time, for example filesharing programs?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
even if you are on a filesharing program the hdd usage wont be THAT much (hopefully...) to slow down ISO reading lower than CD reading speed.

anyway...try PSXeven? im not really sure what to suggest, im just throwing out ideas.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Depends on the app, and the settings.
ABC and eMule for instance allow you to customise how much data is saved up before writing. The less, the more accesses, the more, the greated the memory load.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts