Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to put my Final Fantasy XI running by the ePSXe 1.70! I got some troubles when the game goes to the battle mode.
But first my specs: (oldest)
  • Athlon XP +2400 (2.0GH non-SSE2)
  • ATI X1650PRO 512MB (Driver Version 8.593.100.2-090721a-085694C-ATI)
  • Windows Vista SP1 Ultimate 32bits
  • 1 GB RAM DDR (not DDR2)

After, my Video Config:

Code:
Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.75
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: Radeon X1650 Series    

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 1
- VRam size: 256 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: off
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Framebuffer access: 4
- Alpha multipass: on 
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: on 
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: on 
- Game fixes: off [00004208]
My first disappointment was with my Radeon video Card... man I can't get it playin' on PeteOpenGL newest gpu plugin. So I have configured the Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.75 (Btw, what's the difference between Petes D3D and Pet DX6 D3D?), that's nice... I start to play FFXI but every time that a batle starts the games almost freeze... let it down the FPS, why this happens? how can I fix it?

ps: it happens just on the transition of no battle to battle... that black screen which shrink and then the battle starts... on battle the game runs fine.

After read here on forum and over the Internet about the GOOD fame of ATI drivers I think that ATI should pass the power (or simply the source code) to the users develop the drivers...

thanks

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
First of all, you should be able to run the OpenGL 2 plug-in fine. It's odd that you haven't been able to.

Secondly, the differences between the DirectX and DirectX 6 plug-in is that the DirectX 6 version uses older (and probably, thus, easier) DirectX instructions? It's made for old (really old) or weak GPUs. I tend to ignore the DirectX plug-ins outright. They're far inferior to the OpenGL ones.

For the problem you're having with your current configuration, usually that is the result of not having the VRAM amount defined on ATi hardware, since their drivers don't work with the autodetect method, but I see you have it defined. I'd maybe try turning the framebuffer access down from 4 to 2 or 1. I think it may be choking your CPU. Framebuffer stuff is one of the harder parts of Playstation emulation, especially for a CPU.

Also, what game fixes are on? If I remember right, you only need one, and it's the Final Fantasy IX one.

Edit: You don't have AA forced in your video card's control panel, do you? That would be my second guess (actually, first, since it only happens at that spot, and I used to have the same thing happen on my old GeForce4 Ti4200 with AA on at that spot). If you want to use AA while using the OpenGL plug-in, there's a game fix for it somewhere. It's something with a description of "speedup in nasty framebuffer upload situations" or something like that.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
. I'd maybe try turning the framebuffer access down from 4 to 2 or 1. I think it may be choking your CPU. Framebuffer stuff is one of the harder parts of Playstation emulation, especially for a CPU.

Edit: You don't have AA forced in your video card's control panel, do you? That would be my second guess (actually, first, since it only happens at that spot, and I used to have the same thing happen on my old GeForce4 Ti4200 with AA on at that spot). If you want to use AA while using the OpenGL plug-in, there's a game fix for it somewhere. It's something with a description of "speedup in nasty framebuffer upload situations" or something like that.
Your right it might be the framebuffer cause he is using windows vista with that config, i would really recommend xp or at least windows 7...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have changed Framebuffer options over n over n over again until I get it running!
Now the transition between the scenario and battle is just a black screen, but it is fast! I mean it's working! thank you guys
However with OpenGl I didn't get it working.
About the AA I just checked on Catalyst Control Center and it was marked as "Controlled by Application"! And yeahh, I've been thinkig move to W7!

Someone have already finished this game on ePSXe 1.70 ? ( I'm afraid about any freeze or any kind of bug)

Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.77
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: Radeon X1650 Series

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 1
- VRam size: 512 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: off
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 1
- Framebuffer access: 1
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
update your drivers, and use OpenGL.

the direct3d versions are not ati friendly. its been listed as a fact in the readme for ever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.