Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a post to help any other users you may be having problems with getting Final Fantasy IX working with a minimum of slowdowns with sound and video. This IS NOT a config that will work on all machines, but just a list of the settings on my laptop. I figure if I can get it to run pretty smoothly on my machine, anyone else can to with similar hardware.

Here is the rig first:

HP Pavilion dv6405us

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core TK-53 (1.70GHz)
1GB PC2700 SODIMM
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (up to 287MB memory)
15.4" Widescreen Monitor (1200x800 native)
8x DVD SuperDrive (some generic Asian model)

I ran into 2 problems when I first started. The first one was the lack of a battle menu. Easily fixed after looking through the forums and the Help Guide within ePSXe 1.7.0. After I got the battle menus working, I noticed the yellow boxes around Zidane's health, even with the "fix" on. I left the fix on and changed the framebuffer access under compatibility. Problem solved.

For sound, I used Eternal SPU 1.41 with Default settings, but with the Final Fantasy IX fix checked("Update before accessing register" option). For CD settings, I believe that is up to you to find the most suitable one. I use CDSapu right now, only because I can tweak it to my liking more and it reads my friends borrowed disc better. Up to you.

Now I enjoy the game with sharper character sprites, as the background makes it feel like a PSX game at a hgiher resolution. So feel free to tinker with the settings to your liking. Hope this helps, and I also included some screens at the bottom.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.77
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce Go 6150/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
OGL version: 2.1.2

Resolution/Color:
- 1280x800 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Keep psx aspect ratio: on

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 4
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Framebuffer access: 1
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- 15 bit FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Game fixes: off [00000200]

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I saw your link to this post in the other thread.

I know this is a configuration to just getting it working, but I want to comment because I think P.E.Op.S. software would look better for such machines that lack 3-D power.

No offense, but that looks between poor and basic. The standard settings for Pete's OpenGL don't look that great in this game, especially higher than 640x480. However, don't take it harshly, because I'm very critical of running this game (or any with a good amount of small resolution 2-D backdrops) at a very high resolution (that 2-D looks ridiculous). I know you have an LCD, so you're sort of forced to run it native, [strike]but that is just one reason they fail[/strike] but you can always run it windowed (if you can't stand that, see the strikethrough text).

Compared to what this game can look like, the text is very poor, the background has been trashed, and the 3-D looks no better than Pete's OpenGL at standard (although I realize that's pretty much what it is), and this is why I'd honestly just run it with a software plug-in if I were you, and for anyone who lacks GPU power. I know my opinion is likely in the minority to those who just say "GPU accelerated plug-in equals better!", but while the 3-D will look worse in software mode, but the other 75% of the game will look infinitely better.

Here's an example of how I run my game.

Yes, you do need some respectable power, but nothing out of this world. My old Pentium 4 2.8GHz and GeForce 6800GS AGP with 1GB of DDR RAM was what that configuration originated on, so it might even work on less. A 7600GT/8600GTS/9500GT (all roughly the same level) are stronger and are pretty low end for dedicated GPUs nowadays.

The 2-D looks almost, but not quite, perfect at even twice the native resolution of the game (which is 320x224, by the way), while still having great 3-D, 3-D that even looks anti-aliased. Yes, it's somewhat blurry, but A) I like the smooth look, and B) you can't get this game to look ultra sharp and HD since the backdrops and 2-D are all a mere 320x224, and trying to make it HD (even 1024x768 is HD compared to that) just makes the 2-D look like garbage. Add in widescreen for the ignorant people who do that, and you have a mess.

That being said, I'm glad it's working for you, and don't take it too seriously. I'm just really critical of making it look that bad (this game is my baby). I'm just offering up the alternative of using a software plug-in with why i think that's a better choice. Keep tinkering with those settings though, though I'm sure your PC won't let you get away with a whole lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. I know I could probably tweak the settings more with another GPU plugin, but I was just happy to see the game work without lagging. I was running windowed for a while at 640x480, but I started playing around with fullscreen and I didn't have any further complaints. When I get a desktop built for heavier 3D graphics and CAD work on the side, Im sure it wont look anything like this. But I will definitely try PEOPS as I have it downloaded already. Thanks!

·
Master of Eselhimmel
412 Posts
I've seen your scrennies and your setings.

@Youre setings somethings Wrong.

Some setings are not optimal.

so:
Filtering: 2 is much beter the Backrouns are even filtert.

Framebuffer
-texture : 0 the Batlewirl dont Breaks crashes the framerate
-access : 4

an 1700 processor kann handle this well.

Don't use Framerate 53 for NTSC its only for PAL:eyemove:

with high quality.

special for NVidiacards you can set special setings for the epsxe.exe :
NVidia advance setings !!!
Anti Aliasing 2x (set off if the youre maschine not so fast)
Anistrophe Filter off
Mipmap Trilinear (Makes beter backround )
Trilinear optimising on (optimisngs mak it a little faster:drool:)
anisotroph mip filter opti. on
optim. anisotroph.... on

@ sound
SPU Peops 1.9 (mode: 2 |reveb:1|interpolation:2 XA: all off) (faster)
better is Ethernal 1.41 (directsound|Buffer 64|SPUasync |smuth or simple|reverb neills) but needs more power

as referece:
http://forums.ngemu.com/843919-post34.html

To play with Peops soft plugin an 1700 not fast enough or all is pixelated:mad:

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
No, Pete's OpenGL drivers are hardware plug-ins. they use the GPU to render most of the stuff. A software plug-in uses uses the CPU to render most of the stuff.

My settings will not work as well for you, since you need respectable of GPU power.

They can be found here (note that the screenshot of the settings is a bit incorrect, as what Squall-Leonhart mentions needs to be changed).

http://forums.ngemu.com/psx-plugin-questions-troubleshooting/105158-my-authentic-enhanced-guide.html

By the way, the nVidia trilinear optimization nets you better speed by reducing the quality (ala, what the GeForce FX cards did in their day). I'm also not sure if forcing mipmaps increases quality, but I never tried.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
That appears to be a laptop from the CPU model (though I didn't know many modern laptops still used 1024x768?). The CPU and RAM (though 512MB is low these days) are good, but the GPU won't let you get away with the better hardware plug-ins, so my simplest suggestion would be to try Pete's OpenGL plug-in (make sure it's just regular OpenGL version1.x, not OpenGL2) and go with something similar to the first post in this thread (though alter the resolution to whatever fits you). The PC in the opening post is somewhat close to yours (it just has more RAM and a better IGP), so start there.

If worse comes to worse, use P.E.Op.S plug-in.

P.S. If you'd like to refer to me by a shortened name, could you refer to me as simply Zedeck instead?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Set render to texture to 2.

No reason to use Ultra High on 800x600. At 640x480, I actually saw Ultra High look worse than Very High. My guess is, lower resolutions have no need for internal resolutions as high. Might as well not waste the extra power when we don't know if they have as much to waste.

Lower Framebuffer Effects from 3 to 2. In the ReadMe, Pete states it's often not needed as high. He states to his knowledge, only one game, and only one menu with that game, needs it. Too bad he doesn't mention which.

Also, lower Framebuffer Uploads to 2 to 1. As it says, only use it when screens are missing. With it at 1, none are missing. I think is sort of like Offscreen Drawing in OpenGL. With it set too high, it's either creating garbage or unneeded.

Edit: I don't think you're configuration will be good them. I saw some posts in some other threads, and they apparently don't have alot of GPU power to waste. They couldn't run my configuration above. Yours is even harder. I'd stick to a software plug-in (P.E.Op.S. is built in in 1.7.0).

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Common problem. Don't know the solution offhand, but it could be save states (perhaps, not sure if they can cause this one), reading problems (either a bad disc/image orn incorrectly setup up disc plug-in), or settings. The settings should be good though. Try turning framebuffer effects and frambuffer uploads back to where synce has them in the screenshot. They're the only settings I could even think are remotely possible, but I still doubt it's that. Worth a try, but I bet it's one of the other two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
any 1 know a good setting for P.E.Op.S soft driver there is a man that uses it runs like it does on real playstation UNBELIVBLE! how well i asked him and i try his configuration and and it run like SH#$ for my and now i would love to show you a screen shot i have but je's don't know how to upload it there is no NONLINK upload except ATTACHMENT but this ain't no JPEG or JPE image *sigh*

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
P.E.Op.S. software driver, like all software renderers, trade hardware acceleration/enhancing for accuracy, so they look more accurate. The small tweaking in it won't change the look a whole lot, so it should look the same just by running it.

The only exception I can think of would be by running it under Windows Vista or Windows 7. It is broken under these operating systems. It works, but it'll be very pixelated.

P.E.Op.S. went on to become something more, so some of the newer ones might have fixed this, but last I knew, P.E.Op.S. and Windows Vista/7 were a bad combination.

Edit: Whoops. What the? Last reply was four weeks ago, but this showed up highlighted as an unread topic?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.