• PSX

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 11.1%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of replaying FFIV, and I was wondering which version to play. I tried the translated Japanese hard type before, and it provided a great game but with heavy grinding at the end, which was the reason why I didn't finish it.

What I'm looking for is a version with the adult stuff left in it as in the original version, but perhaps with updated visuals or sound. I don't care about FMV's, those I can watch on Youtube anyway. I read that they cut some skills from some versions as well, like the FFII Snes US version. I like the Dark Wave attack, so I'd rather keep such things.

Also, I don't have a DS, so there's not really a point in recommending that version. If someone can explain me the pro's and cons it would be helpful. For now I'm mostly in doubt about the GBA EU version and the original translated Snes version.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
i don't care about the difficulty as long as the story is good.

· Whistler
137 Posts
the GBA version is kinda "laggy" which is not really a good experience, and the musics are also IMHO worse than the original, but it has slightly better graphics (just compare the Rosa sprite
with the original
...).

as for the "adult" stuff :), the GBA EU/US version has many of the sprites censored (not in JP version) so FF4A may not be what you want here :D

· Banned
35,081 Posts
its not the game, its the hardware.

· There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
13,131 Posts
I've been thinking of replaying FFIV, and I was wondering which version to play. I tried the translated Japanese hard type before, and it provided a great game but with heavy grinding at the end, which was the reason why I didn't finish it.

What I'm looking for is a version with the adult stuff left in it as in the original version, but perhaps with updated visuals or sound. I don't care about FMV's, those I can watch on Youtube anyway. I read that they cut some skills from some versions as well, like the FFII Snes US version. I like the Dark Wave attack, so I'd rather keep such things.

Also, I don't have a DS, so there's not really a point in recommending that version. If someone can explain me the pro's and cons it would be helpful. For now I'm mostly in doubt about the GBA EU version and the original translated Snes version.
The psx version is a fave of mine. Nostalgia and a more comfortable pad than the nes.

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Doesn't the Playstation version of Final Fantasy IV include Chrono Trigger as well?

Yes it is

· Registered
10,973 Posts
That sounds good as well, although IMSHO Chrono Trigger > Final Fantasy V

Still Final Fantasy V is a decent game.

· Registered
3,106 Posts
id go with the Snes JP Hard Type myself, since it would be a hell of a challange, but thats just me.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The psx version is a fave of mine. Nostalgia and a more comfortable pad than the nes.
It'll be played on PSP anyway ;)

· ヒット激しく速く
26,508 Posts
I want to play and finish the NDS one, i only played 4 on the PSX but due to some problems i didn't get to finish it actually similar things happened to: 5 & 6.Anyway that's beside the point, actually i'm at a loss should i play the nds version or should i play the psx one first...

· Registered
10,973 Posts

· Read Only
10,484 Posts
I played the Snes and the Playstation one.
I expected the PS game would be with upgraded sprites but I didn't see much difference.

I think is a great idea you will play it on your psp, imo there is something about 2d oldschool games that make me want to play them portable.

Don't know what to recommend as the gba you can play it on your psp too. ;)

· Whistler
137 Posts
GBA. It fits your descreption the best has the adult stuff etc.
no...

one is GBA JP and the other is GBA US version.

the more truthful skills (like rosas pray ability) etc. are present in the gba version. Not in the psx-version as far as I know.
no, psx version is totally the same as the original JP SNES version and all of those "useless" skills are left intact (except the language).

· Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
If it matters(and it hasn't been mentioned), the GBA version has the best script of the ones mentioned in the poll. Although, to be honest, I haven't checked the translations for the SNES JP games.

But seriously, the remade script for the GBA(and then DS) version is much better than the ones in the SNES(US/EU) and PSX versions. And I've heard that the EU version of FFIV Advance has much of the "lag" of the US version fixed. My copy of the game is the EU one, and to be honest, I never noticed this "lag" everyone speaks of.

· crazy person
864 Posts
no...

one is GBA JP and the other is GBA US version.

no, psx version is totally the same as the original JP SNES version and all of those "useless" skills are left intact (except the language).
Well, I got it wrong. Sorry, but it's not totally the same. The script for psx had still many of the changes retained that the snes translation had.

And I'm pretty sure that the EU GBA Version HAD the adult stuff.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.