Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Final Fantasy IV/V PEC Cheats won't work

i'm playing the chronicles version of Final Fantasy IV, and i'm trying to use max gil cheats using PEC, and none of them, or any codes at all for that matter, seem to work. What am i doing wrong? :???: I should also note that I have Vista, if that changes anything.

I also suffer the problem in Final Fantasy V, but I'm mainly into 4 at the moment.

I don't suffer this issue with other games, they all work fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure, but i know that Codetwink always uses US codes, and that's where i got mine. I'm completely unsure of which localization my game is, but it's in english, and it's the chronicles version. I also suffer the same issue with my Anthology version of FFV.

·
Discontinued
1,191 Posts
There's 2 editions of FF Chronicles and Anthology (Original / Greatest Hits). Don't know how they changed the EXE data.

If you want to know your version, grab this:
PSX toolz

Place it with your game and run it with this command (or create a batch file):

Code:
psxt001z "name of iso image"

-- or -- (batch file)

SET FILE1="ff7-1.bin"

psxt001z %FILE1%
pause
ex.
Code:
File: ff7-1.bin
Size (bytes):   747435024 (OK)
Size (sectors): 317787 (OK)
EDC in Form 2 sectors: YES
ID: SCUS-94163   (****)
Date: 1997-08-05   (****)
System area: US EDC   (****)
Which matches this: FF7 Disc 1

Then try matching your discs with one of these:
- FFC 4 (US = Original)
- FFC 4 (US = Greatest Hits)
- FFA 4 (EU = Original)

- FFA 5 (US = Original)
- FFA 5 (US = Greatest Hits)
- FFA 5 (EU = Original)

- FFA 6 (US = Original)
- FFA 6 (US = Greatest Hits)
- FF6 (EU = Original)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the codes for the anthology and normal version in FFV, but i never tried the greatest hits version. Never hurts to try one of everything! :D i could never get that little program to work, since i don't use bin files.

·
Discontinued
1,191 Posts
If you use CloneCD, then replace ff7-1.bin with ff7-1.img
If you use Alcohol, (actually I don't know if it works) ff7-1.mdf

Most codes out there should be for the 'normal' FFIV / FFV so it's possible you've got GH. If you can't get it working, I'll try making some FFV codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've found a method that should work in any game.

There's a program called "cheat engine" somewhere on the internet. It's not too complicated. This is how I use it:

Open ePSXe
Open Cheat Engine
ePSXe: Load Game
Cheat Engine: Open Process > ePSXe.exe
ePSXe: Play Game, enter the menu.
Cheat Engine: Search for (4 bytes) the Gil value as a "New Search"
ePSXe: Enter a few battles, winning Gil in the process.
Cheat Engine: Search for an "Increased Value" as your "next search". Then, to make sure, search "Unchanged Value" a few times too.
If there are still too many values to filter through, enter a shop, spend a little. Then search for a "Decreased Value"
Then, once you know you've found the correct value, double click it. Then double click the value in the box below, and enter the new value "in this case, 999999". This should change the value on the game in ePSXe.

This usually works pretty well for me. So far I've used it in all the final fantasy games for PSX.

Once you've made a list of cheats, simply name the descriptions (eg, "Gil","P1HP","P3EXP"), and save for future use :)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I press Ctrl+G, nothing happens. and when i select the codes and send it the plugin, nothing still happens. I'm always on the status screen, and when I win a few battles, it still does nothing. But despite what I do, PEC mentions that the game in my drive isn't the one for the codes, even though the console in EPSXE says it is. I Would prefer not to resort to re-installing it, but I'll try that now since nothing else works.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do it with other games, that's surely not my problem. But PEC has been causing the emulator to crash in FFIX as of late, not completely sure why. I also tried mounting it with Daemon tools and running it by CD, still to no avail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.