1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Ohana means family...
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
144 Posts
Why is it so difficult for people to grasp? If you've never played Final Fantasy games before, why would you care about a port/remake of a previous game? If you have played Final Fantasy games, how could you possibly not be able to tell the difference between 3 and 6? Please, point out Sabin in that screen shot. Or Terra. Or Mog. OR ANYBODY ELSE FROM THE CAST.

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
It was 1,2 and 3 on Nes that never made it to the US. So in America 4 was renamed to 2, 6 renamed to 3, and FF1 was FFMQ.

So this is actually FF6, not 3.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Vanit said:
It was 1,2 and 3 on Nes that never made it to the US. So in America 4 was renamed to 2, 6 renamed to 3, and FF1 was FFMQ.

So this is actually FF6, not 3.
Nope. It is most definitely (100% certain) FFIII and *not* VI. This is in fact quite old news.

FFVI is (apparently) being remade for GBA and not the DS.

Also, FFI and II did in fact make it to the US on PSX and GBA, whereas FFIII did not.

Also: different logos:

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
Oh wait I understand now... are you saying this is a remake of THE FF3 that was released on Nes? Sorry I totally misunderstood your arguement. My bad.

As for the arguement I was making earlier, I was talking about original Snes releases only.

·
Registered
144 Posts
In other words, FINAL FANTASY 3. In a world with Final Fantasy 7+, continuing to refer to previous games by alternate numbers only fosters confusion and stupidity like that exemplified in this thread.

Also, Final Fantasy 1 was released on the NES unless you next want to tell me that my childhood was some illusion.

Your comment about Mystic Quest both baffles and frightens me, lending to the case that you don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about here.

Yes, Final Fantasy 6 is coming to GBA (pending any sudden cancellations, of course). There were screenshots of the FF5 and FF6 ports published in some Japanese magazine and posted all over the internet.

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
Wha... why do you think FF4 was renamed to 2 and not FF1 for the US snes release? There must've been something holding the place of the first FF in America; Mystic Quest.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Other than the rename conversation going on .. :p

This game looks really frickin' good! Now when the hell is Square-Enix gonna make either an original game for PSP or a sweet remake like this one?!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I knew the moment this thread came up that I would end up having to post a link to Gamefaqs or some other authoritative site for proof. And here you are, talking about Mystic Quest and FF3 and FF6 and noodles.

So here you go. Do I need to quote from the page too? I think I do:

Final Fantasy Nintendo 07/12/90 US
Let me know if I need to make the font red too. I think I can manage that despite the lack of HTML and my hatred for psuedo-HTML.

Also, just to get something else cleared up here:

Final Fantasy II Square Enix 1991 US
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Square Enix 1992 US
Why do I know this? Because I played them both when they came out. Ergo, I know what I'm talking about; you do not. It would be a good habit in the future to avoid attempting to educate people when you don't know what you're talking about.

Also, here's one of the articles that mentioned the FF5 and FF6 ports.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Clements is correct, aperson is correct. Vanit, would you please just stafoo, this thread is spiralling wildly out of control. for the record, since no one corrected you, FF1 on NES was released in the US (and it was actually named FF1.). like aperson said, i have no idea why you brought up mystic quest...

ANYWAY i am playing FF4 advance at the mo, the graphics are a bit changed, but overall it's faithful. AFAIK, the FF6 on GBA is going to be similar, no?

and as for FF3 on DS...well dammit i still need to get FF1&2 on GBA. but hey, finally playing FF3 will be nice, even if the old old FF games had crappy stories..

·
Registered
144 Posts
From the early screenshot, FF6 looked the same. It stands to reason that there's less reason to modify the graphics as with FF4, since it was one of the high points of SNES graphics.

Of course, there is some redrawing on account of the resolution difference. If they simply scaled the graphics, there would be losses in many places and you could end up with radically altered tiles. Whatever people think about the nature of porting these games, Square does take their time in their preparation (although one can point to the FF4 slowdown as evidence that the time isn't spent where it's most needed).

They also stated that each of the ports will be released over a timespan, so it will be sometime until FF5 and even longer until FF6. But at least we know (again, pending any sudden cancellations) that they're coming. That's more than can be said for so many other hopeful ports, like Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana.

The FF4 port has indeed been enjoyable. My major complaint is in how much easier they made it compared to either the U.S. or Japanese originals. The sound, graphical improvements, and script repair are all well deserved. The bonus content was particularly enjoyable since it never hurts to get a few more hours of gameplay.

Unfortunately, FF1&2 were sugarcoated. Be prepared for radically different games without a shred of challenge. They're enjoyable for the updated graphics, introduction of MP in FF1, and the bonus content. But you'll breeze through them without opposition.

Who knows what we can expect from the FF3 port, apart from the obvious showcase? I do believe that it's one of the few reasons to even own a DS, and whatever the release date cannot possibly be soon enough.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Looks awesome! The graphical update is just awesome too, never saw that coming.

Even better, FF VI and V coming to GBA?!?! Just bought IV.. my favorite FF games in the palm of my hand.. what a dream come true.. :cry: :)

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
Okay, I was wrong. The whole point of the arguement was which FF3 it was because the whole renaming with releases made it a tad confusing (and truth be told I didn't even go to the link... where it is clear as day I was wrong XD). But we can't be right all the time... unless we edit out posts...

Carry on :p.

*blushes*

·
Ohana means family...
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it seems it's Final Fantasy 3 (the Japanese numbering).....but how to change the title huh? mod can change it pls...

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
hushypushy said:
and as for FF3 on DS...well dammit i still need to get FF1&2 on GBA. but hey, finally playing FF3 will be nice, even if the old old FF games had crappy stories..
FF3's story wasn't that bad, at least not for a NES game, don't compare it to the SNES stories. FF3 was an enjoyable game. And this remake looks really sweet indeed :D

Meanwhile, Cid wonders why some people still use the american numbers for the games, just stick with the japanese ones and there will be no more problems, it's not that hard. :)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
cid: people just use the US numbers because that's what they are used to. growing up with FF2 and FF3 kind of stuck it in some people's heads? i guess?

aided onslaught: it's FF3 that's gonna be on the DS, FF6 is gonna be on the GBA ;)

and anywho, i should've done it before but i changed the title

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
hushypushy said:
cid: people just use the US numbers because that's what they are used to. growing up with FF2 and FF3 kind of stuck it in some people's heads? i guess?

aided onslaught: it's FF3 that's gonna be on the DS, FF6 is gonna be on the GBA ;)

and anywho, i should've done it before but i changed the title
Maybe, but I also think that a lot of people, also US ones, have been introduced to the older FF series by ways of emulation. If that's the case they have to decide what way of counting the numbers they want to use, which also depends on the rom they are playing with :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.