Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
-data-

New Xbox 360 title, by Hironobu Sakaguchi,

Cry On is an action-RPG overseen by Sakaguchi. Cry On's character design is by Fujisaka Kimihiko (of Drakengard fame), and the game will feature music by Uematsu Nobuo. Considering the name "Cry On," it's not surprising that the theme of the game is "tears."

-data-

-data2-

Cry On takes place in a middle ages setting, with an emphasis on machines. In this world, people place tiny creatures called "Bogurus" on their rooftops to act as protective charms. Bogurus used to be powerful giants that lived in peace with humans, but they have been renamed "Soulless" as humans bring them back to life for war purposes. The story begins with main character Sari given the special ability to revive Bogurus from her father, the king. Sari takes a Boguru who can speak human languages into her care, and while the Boguru starts off small and sits on Sari's shoulder, eventually the player will be able to transform him into a towering giant.

The player will be able to switch perspectives between Sari and the Boguru, with the scale and perspective changing drastically for each character. Each time the Boguru changes, a different form will result; for example, the player can use a stone to destroy the surroundings and attach the pieces to the Boguru in real time, each transformation differing so that the Boguru will appear not like a robot but as a mysterious living creature.

Sari's playing style will be that of a puzzle/RPG, while the Boguru's will be more action oriented. According to Sakaguchi, for every 15 minutes of playing as Sari, one should expect to play one minute as the Boguru. Sakaguchi is attempting to create a unique control scheme for the game. Visually, the game will be cel shaded, with artwork resembling that of a Miyazaki movie.

Sakaguchi has noted, however, that we'll have to wait for a long while to play this game - Cry On is expected to be anywhere from 30 to 40 hours long, and the game is only half complete at this point. Finishing the game could take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 years, so people awaiting this game may need to find something to entertain themselves in the meantime.

-data2-

·
Ohana means family...
353 Posts
woww....isn't that Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for Xbox360 also by Sakaguchi??? wah he sooo active now?

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
He is only giving a helping hand with Vampire's Rain and Bullet Witch. He and his dev team so far have only worked on RPG projects. And WF say that mistwalker has 5-10 RPGs that would like to bring out. So hopefully Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey do well in reviews and sales.

(Cry On may also be the first CARPG to have moding tools. but Sakaguchi has only hinted)

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
that's quite a lot of rpgs to be making at one time... am i the only one who's a little uneasy at their possibly quality? a standard quality vs. quantity scenario mayhaps?

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Like any project mistwalker (or SE) work on. The games will have a full dev cycle. (2 - 4 years is the norm) And you have to remember 360 might last 10 years instead of 5. (The goal of both PS3 and x360)

(Most dev teams have 3 - 7 games that rotate in workflow. It’s sort of a contingency plan in case something unexpected happens with the main project. )

·
band
4,912 Posts
i was under the impression that vampire rain and cry on are also on their way to being released on the ps3.

doesnt this belong in the xbox360 thread >.>

in my opinion, instead of hoping xbox360 mite last 10 years we mite as well hope they dont release the sucessor early again -.-

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Katsuya said:
Like any project mistwalker (or SE) work on. The games will have a full dev cycle. (2 - 4 years is the norm) And you have to remember 360 might last 10 years instead of 5. (The goal of both PS3 and x360)
i suppose... i guess it depends on how many years these games' releases are planned to span. if they're going to be released in the first couple years of the x360's lifespan, then i'd guess a reused engine for multiple games. being action/rpg titles, that seems quite plausable. hopefully not to the degree of the .hack series on ps2: one game split into 4 over the span of... 2 years was it? :rolleyes:

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
well, lets just say each installment was the continuation of the previous game, but without any real changes. had they put it all into one huge-mongous game, you couldn't tell where a transition of games occured looking at improvements/changes. it basically went downhill at a steady pace.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
too bad. It sounded like a good idea.

anyway, It’s nice that game visuals will be… better I guess (but a lot of games lately have shown up looking too much like plastic) with the next gen

I also hope in the future RPGs (and games in general) will allow for more customization. With better storytelling.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
i find North American developers tend to go for the more customizable rpgs, using D&D rules and offshoots of it. i'm a fan of japanese rpgs for sure, but i find they tend to be of rigid structure in both aspects you mentioned. characters gain levels to learn pre-determined skills and for the plot/exploration, you're held by the hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.