Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attempted to run FF9 on my computer, but it skips, both in audio and video. I pressed F4 to disable the frame thing, but that did more harm them help.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrighty.

MS Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1 (2600)

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+ ( 1 CPU, 1497 MHz)

Memory is 1279

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000

Video memory is 64

And I have a sound card installed, of course.

Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9 is the video plug in I used.
ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0. is the audio plug in.

Does that help?

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
yeah, why?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
MS Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1 (2600)

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+ ( 1 CPU, 1497 MHz)

Memory is 1279

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000

Video memory is 64

And I have a sound card installed, of course.

Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9 is the video plug in I used.
ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0. is the audio plug in.

Does that help?
I wish the version naming was done "better" to make it easier for those who don't understand how the version naming for his plug-ins work. Most people see version 2.9 and 1.76 and just go with 2.9 thinking the other is outdated. How it works is that they're two separate lines. Version 1.x is for older cards, and version 2.x is for newer (at the time) cards. Switch to the version 1.x plug-in. The 2.x versions really need a DirectX9 GPU to work well (the GeForce 4 can use it, but only at lower settings). The GeForce 4 MX is not a real GeForce 4 (that's the GeForce 4 Ti). It's really a GeForce 2 on steroids. It's too slow to use the OpenGL 2.x versions.

Try these settings. I've had a GeForce 4 MX440 and GeForce 4 Ti4200, and if I remember correctly, these settings worked well.

If I remember right, the GeForce 4 MX440 can handle that just fine.

The fix is the Final Fantasy IX one.

You can try texture filtering of 4 if you want as well. Leave the texture quality on that one though. The "slightly faster on some cards" option referred to ATi cards of the time.

You can use 800x600 if you want, but if I remember right, 1024x768 slowed down on the MX440 (though my specific MX440 used memory that was slower than nVidia allowed, so that may have been why). Either way, without any sort of screen smoothing (which also killed my MX440), shaders (not available in OpenGL1 plug-ins), or high resolution textures (will probably slow it down), it is going to look really pixelated if you turn up the resolution too much. 640x448 is already twice the resolution this game really uses, so I, personally, can't stand using higher than 640x480 (and I "blur" it to heck when I do to make the 2D look more natural). It's not worth messing up 75% of the games' look (which is 2D) to make the characters and world map look a bit better. The hardware rendering alone makes the 3D look good enough (now in games that are mostly 3D, then go ahead and crank resolution).

As for the audio, it likely skips because the video does, but here are my audio settings in case it still skips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.