Next Generation Emulation banner

filtering stuff

5K views 71 replies 16 participants last post by  KillerShots 
#1 ·
is there anyway to solve these things (in the full square filtering (im not sure what type of filtering it is;) ) w/ petes gpu plugins 1.50?

1st - That squarish look

#8 ·
FF8? yeah, of course it looks better than running on an emu, the psx ver was desgined to run on a REAL psx ;) anyway IMHO i think RPGs are better played in a console. but grapical adventures are better played in the PC (again IMO). each to his own dude :)

#11 ·
The PC version looks MUCH better (depending on the video card). It's basically the playstation version but with high resolution (640x480) and 16 bit color, plus it has high quality text(not filtered text). You can achieve similar settings with emulators but most 3D games I've run through emulators have had graphics problems and just don't reach the same level of quality as PC ports. Still, they could have made the PC ports a lot better. They just did a direct port from the playstation to PC (even has 2 "slots" for saving games) and although it uses Direct3D it has a video card bias (it only runs well on Voodoo cards). The FF7 PC port was equally as bad. It's no wonder Square never ported FF9 onto the PC. FF8 got horrible reviews in the majority of game magazines.

#12 ·
See here's the problem. I've talked to a lot of people about this before.....and the majory agreed that the PSX version of FF8 looked better than the PC version. Wanna know why? Mainly the difference between a monitor and a TV. Jaggies and what not are more noticable on a monitor! And my god are the FF8 backgrounds damn ugly.

#14 ·
You can't POSSIBLY think that PC ff8 is better than PSX FF8 on an emu! First off, all that you just said the PC version has, the PSX version has also when EMULATED on a high-end emulator (like epsxe). The key is that DATA stored on the game. You REALLY think that they drew up all new gfx and sounds for the PC version when they had it all on the psx version? No, they simply snagged it from the psx version and linked it to their PC engine. What does that mean? No better gfx, no better audio, simply an attempt to make it playable on PC.

"PC version has 640x480 res." - Blah, so does the emu. Both are linking to the same texture, you'll notice. However, the emu is not limited to 640x480.

#17 ·
I don't know about you guy's but the PC version of FF 8 looks better than the psx vers.., not because I only have it but u could tell it from the graphics baby!!!
But neojag is right about those camoflage squares in the 3D psx games. I hope they do fix that indeed......:rolleyes:

#18 ·
KillerShots: I believe ur wrong! I have both the PC and PSX version and, although it's almost what u said, the sounds and music were improved when compiled to the PC version. I read it some were on the Squaresoft website... and u can actually notice the diference!!

Sorry to say but the PC version is better than the PSX, even if emulated on ePSXe.

#20 · (Edited)
It also depends on the video card. My VooDoo 5 can make even 640x480 look like 1024x768 with 4x anti-aliasing. And because the 3D looks kinda weird in the emulated PS version (where the PC version looks "solid"), I prefer the PC version. Plus, you have the higher quality movies and ChocoboWorld (the almost ultimate cheat for that game [save GameShark]). So, :p

#21 ·
Well, everyone's entitled to their preferences. Some people like sharp monitor images while others prefer more analog TV visuals(the ever so popular scanlines are a testament to that fact). I just think FF8 on PC looks better on the whole. Yes the graphics are taken straight from the PSX version (one of the many flaws of the port) but it's run in higher resolution w/ bilinear filtering, a feature the PSX does not have. Sure epsxe can play FF8 but it's a pain to get it to work properly, and the movies don't run well(one of the only good things about the game). The text is also rather jagged(and filtering only blurs it) but the PC version has sharp, high resolution text which makes the game that much easier to look at.

And I agree with EfrainMan, FSAA is the best way to nullify jagged edges, not higher resolutions. Most modern video cards (Voodoo5, GeForce 2, Radeon) have FSAA so it's a widely recognized feature. The human eye can see "jaggies" up to 3k x 3k resolutions so FSAA is probably the best way to enhance jagged visuals. Personally I think 640x480 is good, and with FSAA there's really no need to go any higher.

#23 ·
sigh......

some of you make some good and valid points as far as graphics go ...... but i disagree with the most of'em. God if I only had the psx version of ff8 so I can SHOW you people the differences!

Now...MetalMurphy is it? I'm sorry but you are on some sort of a drug unknown to me.

"...the sounds and music were improved when compiled to the PC version. I read it some were on the Squaresoft website... and u can actually notice the diference!!

Sorry to say but the PC version is better than the PSX, even if emulated on ePSXe."

Do you even KNOW HOW the sound/music was handled on the PC? They're midi's! That's right plain old midi's. Now ..... how in the world can you say that the PC version sounds better than the PSX version? Huh? Answer me this and I shall give you a twinkie.

#24 ·
Thats actually easy...the PC version, like FFVII, uses the Yamaha XG 70 software midi player(Custom made by yamaha or FFVII and FFVIII). Which is the very best MIDI you can get on a PC, Period.!

Technically the PSX version is also midi music (Created incidently on a Yamaha XG DB50 tone generator).

#25 · (Edited)
Originally posted by dpence
Thats actually easy...the PC version, like FFVII, uses the Yamaha XG 70 software midi player(Custom made by yamaha or FFVII and FFVIII). Which is the very best MIDI you can get on a PC, Period.!
Actually thats wrong! :) the BEST Midi you can get is the SoundFont's avaliable to SoundBlaster 32/64/Live owners! Sadly EiDOS decided to not put support in FF8 for SoundFonts! BUT there are unofficial SoundFont packs you can download for FF8! (I think its about 50Mb for the lot) SoundFonts were in FF7!

Do people want me to post comparison screenshots? I have both versions!

Oh and by the way, for FF7, the FMVs are actually marginally better on the PC than the PSX, can prove that too if you like! :)

Oh and Kazuya, what platform are PSX games coded on? What platform do you need to connect your Yaroze to, to program for it?

#26 ·
Umm, Eidos did NOT port Final Fantasy 8. They lost the contract due to the crappy job they did with Final Fantasy 7. Square Electronic Arts ported FF8 to the PC (although they pretty much copied the FF7 format).

And even if you could show screenshots from the PSX and the PC I'd still say the PC looks better. It's all a matter of preference. For example, my friend prefers the blurry analog graphics of Metal Gear Solid on the PSX, even after seeing, AND acknowledging the superior graphics of the PC version. You can go on saying the PSX has better graphics but that doesn't say anything. The fact is, the PC has far superior 3D graphics capabilities than the PSX and the FF8 PC is designed to takes advantage of it. I admit there are some after-effects (pixelated backgrounds) but on the whole I think it looks better, and even better with FSAA to smoothen out the edges. You're saying the graphics are good because it's displayed on a TV, then why don't you try running FF8 PC w/ 3D acceleration on a TV and see how much better your PSX version is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.