Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Emulation Connoisseur
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any filter plugins made yet for VBA-M?

·
VBA 2 developer
404 Posts
There are two plugins from Kega Fusion that I know of. Get them at Eidolon's Inn : Kega under "Render plugins".

The first one is a 2xSaI, which is slower than VBA own 2xSaI filter (asm version).
The only interesing one imo is the HQ2x filter from the Kega Fusion plugins. It has significantly better performance than the VBA internal one.

·
One of the most...
953 Posts
Yes, filter plugins (also used by Kega Fusion), not graphical plugins (like used by ePSXe and PJ64, to name a few).

·
Emulation Connoisseur
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two plugins from Kega Fusion that I know of. Get them at Eidolon's Inn : Kega under "Render plugins".

The first one is a 2xSaI, which is slower than VBA own 2xSaI filter (asm version).
The only interesing one imo is the HQ2x filter from the Kega Fusion plugins. It has significantly better performance than the VBA internal one.
Thanks, games look much better now ;)

There are already a few nice ones ;)
Where can I get these others? I tried the plugins that come with Gens32 but they don't work.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
here's some filters.....

2xSaI
Bilinear
BilinearPlus
Eagle
hq2x
hq3x
hq4x
lq2x
lq3x
lq4x
hq2xS
hq3xS
hq4xS
lq2xS
lq3xS
lq4xS
Scale2x
Scale3x
Scale4x
ScanLineTv
Super2xSaI
SuperEagle
SuperScale75
SuperScale
2XPM HQ
2XPM LQ

EDIT: Wrote 6 new filter plugins, using Nitsuja's HQXxS technique.

·
Emulation Connoisseur
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes, thats a lot of filters. Thanks! ;)

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
There was 2 more filters that no one really talks about (2xPM HQ/LQ). Welcome to the official 2XPM Homepage!

You know what kind of filter would be cool? A Next-Gen filter. It would also be stupidly pointless but it would be fun for ****s and giggles. The idea came to me when CKemu made a thread about "Next-Genning" older games. The secret ingredient for "Next-Genning" an older game is:

Brown, plenty of it to, it's natural and thus makes any game more realistic!

Blur, because everyone moves super mega fast and the world blurs as you wizz by!

Bloom, the key ingredient, when things look bright, it's purty, and everyone knows white walls glow like neon tubes when sunlight strikes them!
That would be a fun filter to mess around with. :p

http://forums.ngemu.com/general-pictures-videos/93071-make-next-gen.html

On a more serious note, can anyone take the source of blargg's NTSC filter and make one for Kega's render plugin system so that it could be used for Kega and VBA (although it would be pointless in VBA since the GBA wasn't played on a TV, it would still be nice to have one in Kega)? Kega has a TV simulation option but it isn't anywhere as good as blargg's version. Problem is that I am not sure if Kega's plugin system allows for custom settings for each filter. It either has to be on or off without any custom settings like the NTSC filter has in Nestopia or ZSNES. If someone does make one for Kega, then they would have to just use the best NTSC preset. You would have to request the library for the Sega Genesis NTSC filter from blargg though.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
There was 2 more filters that no one really talks about (2xPM HQ/LQ).
hmmmm...Might write a filter plugin for those.

You know what kind of filter would be cool? A Next-Gen filter. It would also be stupidly pointless but it would be fun for ****s and giggles. The idea came to me when CKemu made a thread about "Next-Genning" older games. The secret ingredient for "Next-Genning" an older game is:
And you know what? That actually can be done. Due to Spacy's updates to offload rendering in D3D to textures, I'll see about adding custom shader support. Granted, I gotta help Spacy learn more about advanced D3D/OGL programming, but it will be fun :).

On a more serious note, can anyone take the source of blargg's NTSC filter and make one for Kega's render plugin system so that it could be used for Kega and VBA (although it would be pointless in VBA since the GBA wasn't played on a TV, it would still be nice to have one in Kega)? Kega has a TV simulation option but it isn't anywhere as good as blargg's version. Problem is that I am not sure if Kega's plugin system allows for custom settings for each filter. It either has to be on or off without any custom settings like the NTSC filter has in Nestopia or ZSNES. If someone does make one for Kega, then they would have to just use the best NTSC preset. You would have to request the library for the Sega Genesis NTSC filter from blargg though.
blargg's been visiting our IRC channel recently a fair bit, so I might discuss this with the author himself to see what he thinks. :)

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
And you know what? That actually can be done. Due to Spacy's updates to offload rendering in D3D to textures, I'll see about adding custom shader support. Granted, I gotta help Spacy learn more about advanced D3D/OGL programming, but it will be fun :).

blargg's been visiting our IRC channel recently a fair bit, so I might discuss this with the author himself to see what he thinks. :)
:D. You're the best mudlord! You are the only guy ( or gal? :p) that I've talked to who is the most open to suggestions no matter how crazy they are. Most people I've talked to aren't like that.

About the 2XPM plugins, I've seen that there was a fixed version on Kega's official forum (the one on the actual Kega homepage). Though I never noticed that it was even broken in the first place. They always seemed to work fine with me.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
You know what kind of filter would be cool? A Next-Gen filter. It would also be stupidly pointless but it would be fun for ****s and giggles.

...If someone does make one for Kega, then they would have to just use the best NTSC preset. You would have to request the library for the Sega Genesis NTSC filter from blargg though...
CK's concept probably wouldnt be appropriate for games with large flat color zones (as in GBA), unless filter is applied after internal resizing and some gaussian blurring of the resized (not merely zoomed) output. Not to mention the extra smoothing would reduce performance significantly, if it's doable at all of course.

PS: PAL people need some loav too ye know :p

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
You're the best mudlord! You are the only guy ( or gal? ) that I've talked to who is the most open to suggestions no matter how crazy they are. Most people I've talked to aren't like that.
Heheehhe, I'm most definately a guy, unless my birth certificate messed up :p.

About the 2XPM plugins, I've seen that there was a fixed version on Kega's official forum (the one on the actual Kega homepage). Though I never noticed that it was even broken in the first place. They always seemed to work fine with me.
Ah alright, so we can just use those? Have you tested them?

Not to mention the extra smoothing would reduce performance significantly, if it's doable at all of course.
Not really, your video card's pixel shader piplelines will be doing most of the work.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
CK's concept probably wouldnt be appropriate for games with large flat color zones (as in GBA), unless filter is applied after internal resizing and some gaussian blurring of the resized (not merely zoomed) output. Not to mention the extra smoothing would reduce performance significantly, if it's doable at all of course.

PS: PAL people need some loav too ye know :p
Let's hope that blargg makes a PAL one one day then. :)

Well, I was just joking about the Next-Gen thing, though it would be cool to mess around with it if someone was to ever make one for ****s and giggles. I don't want to hinder the project with stuff like that right now when there is way more important things to work on.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
I don't want to hinder the project with stuff like that right now when there is way more important things to work on.
Mmmhm, theres core updates to do still, but oh well, stuff like these features might be done later, you can submit to the bug tracker any feature request though.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
Here's the page where I saw that there was a fixed version of the 2xPM filter but there is no source with it. It may be an unnofficial fix since it's not on the main 2xPM page.

Eidolon's Inn : Plugins

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick Question for a complete Noob: How do you install the Filters on VBA-M? :lol:
You need to download a file with filters (google it), unzip/rar it, and put all extracted files in the plugins folder, which is inside vba-m directory. On the emulator, hit opitions, pixel filter and mark "use filter plugin". Now, hit select filter plugin and choose your filter.

The best in my opinion are: HQ4xS (muldlord), scale 4x and 2xPM HQ.

PS: sorry for the bad english, I'm from Brazil.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts