Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this could either work or it could fail horribly. The only way we will find out is if we all pitch in :)

www.makelovenotspam.com

Basically your computer sends normal (legal) requests to identified spam servers, and the spam server sends you back data. This racks up the amount of bandwidth they use, and thus forcing them to spend more money ;)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
What would be a better way of wasting your bandwidth!

Hell, this rocks. Die spamorz!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
No matter how much they deserve it, there is no justification in illegally DDoSing their servers.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
scottlc said:
No matter how much they deserve it, there is no justification in illegally DDoSing their servers.
Justification? How about spammers overloading our mailboxes with offers for drugs, condoms, etc? I see nothing morally wrong with this.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Razor, its only 4-5 megs per 24hrs so its not much at all.

Techincally wouldnt a DOS attack be defined as computers sending out packets large enough to bombard the server, and overloading it, thus taking it down?

This is just sending a legitimate request for data, and the webserver is sending it back. Except this is doing it over and over. IMO I dont see a dos attack here.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
I cant get to it eather. and isent most DOSing done by a computer usualy without the users concent? as in a trogin or worm?

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Spam is < $2 bucks and is a complete food. It's like eating vitamins :lol:. Ohh,... you're not talking about THAT kind of spam :heh: (but i guess the kind of what i'm doing right now)

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
From zdnet.com.au...
"Finnish anti-virus firm F-Secure, which advised users not to participate in Lycos’s campaign because of "possible legal problems", suspects the site has been hacked by a pro-spam group because "they definitely would have a motive to attack the site"."

What. There's a pro-spam group? Give me a bloody break.:lol: They deserve to be DOS'd.:p

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Reichfuher said:
Razor, its only 4-5 megs per 24hrs so its not much at all.

Techincally wouldnt a DOS attack be defined as computers sending out packets large enough to bombard the server, and overloading it, thus taking it down?

This is just sending a legitimate request for data, and the webserver is sending it back. Except this is doing it over and over. IMO I dont see a dos attack here.
Of course it constitutes a Distributed Denial of Service attack and by taking part in it you are commiting a criminal offence. And legitimate requests? In what way are the requests even remotely legitimate? Distributed attacks require modest amounts of bandwidth from individual zombies, the cumulative bandwidth however is much more powerfull.

Viper_Viper said:
I cant get to it eather. and isent most DOSing done by a computer usualy without the users concent? as in a trogin or worm?
Actually, most DDoS'ing that is done without consent. Even still, does that really mean that just because they have consent it is not a Distributed Denial of Service attack. I most certainly think not.

While I certainly do not agree with spammers, I cannot simply justify taking the law into my own hands and illegally bombarding their servers with useless traffic. Lycos will get what's coming to them soon enough, don't you worry.

Also, in taking part in this programme, Lycos can and will recieve DDoS attacks on their servers. These spam gangs are ruthless and several anti-spam sites have been closed as a result of such attacks.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
sigh.... I even didn't get a chance to see the site... well seems like someone really want that project down and they prevailed... 1 point for the spammers...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts