• FFXII in ENG

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing FFX with dub right now, personally I really like the characters but some people say dub has "fake" emotions. So for the future, when I get my hands on FFXII should I play in dubed version or undubed?(if there is one that is)

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
English. I don't understand Japanese, and I find the language spoken by high-pitched women obnoxious.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
if you understand Japanese, buy them its worth it, if not you will have to be able to put up with such dubs, or turn of the volume and just read the subs in true ff fashon (the text is usally traslated well).

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Wapanese fanboys who insist they can interpret some hidden meaning or emotion by watching the japanese version when they don't even understand japanese make me want to punch them in the face.

If you don't understand japanese, use dubs. Even if the dub isn't great you'll still pick up far more in your native language.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Although there are many issues I have with FFX, the dub isn't one of them. XII is actually pretty good in terms of dubs. I haven't really looked into the Japanese voice acted versions to verify how they compare, but FFX in particular is supposed to be somewhat painful (notably in terms of Rikku).

Now in terms of the more general dub/sub debate, for that I refer to the highly relevant 1UP review for The Witcher that mostly explains my reasons for mostly sticking with the Japanese track when I have a choice:

"I'm not gonna lie: I like anime. And when I watch anime, I watch it with the original Japanese voice actors, in the original language. Why? Because the American voice actors typically suck like a hole in the fuselage of a 747 at 50,000 feet. And, as we all know, the same is oh-so true of videogames.

"Thus, we must offer many blessings upon CD Projekt for the tweaks they've made to the Enhanced Edition of their debut role-playing game, The Witcher -- the best of which is the ability to mix and match voice and subtitle languages. I went with the original Polish voices with English subs, but you can choose French with Spanish, Czech with Czech, or whatever strikes your bilingual fancy. This little tweak alone does wonders to ameliorate (or at least mask) the bad acting and writing in the original version, and it represents a stroke of simple genius that all overseas game companies should consider (I'm looking at you, Japan)."

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
just to point out that "Most" not all Anime dubs are bad. Some pick the voice actors fairly acurately to the character.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wapanese fanboys who insist they can interpret some hidden meaning or emotion by watching the japanese version when they don't even understand japanese make me want to punch them in the face.

If you don't understand japanese, use dubs. Even if the dub isn't great you'll still pick up far more in your native language.
LOL!

I think I will just go with the normal Dub, Im not a hardcore FF fan yet. Going to do more research on youtube, thanks for all the replies.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
It shouldn't be hard to put in both the regions audio.

I don't mind English dubs, but in most cases the Japanese ones are superior.

I'd at least like the option to choose.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I love when people who don't speak Japanese say the Japanese voice actors are better - as if they could tell.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Everything from JAP Undub always better Eng+JAP = SUCkz

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I for one like it in the original language even if i don't understand it and need subs. So to give some examples: if its an anime japanese, an american movie definitely eng, if its a french movie in french (and i don't like that language although i understand it and was able to talk and writ pretty good in the past, because it was the main foreign language i had to learn at school till i was able to switch to eng) and so on.
So in the case of FF i would like jap.

·
Registered
261 Posts
By far, I prefer the original linguistics. For a few reasons:

1) If it's a Japanese anime, I prefer the Japanese voices for the same reason as has been mentioned about English voice-actors just plain SUCK.

2) In the case of anything Final Fantasy (FFX, X-2, VII:AC), hands-down the Japanese dubs are the best. I HATE, I absolutely HATE when the lips don't match the script. Give me Japanese voices and English subs, and I'll ALWAYS be happy.

3) The ORIGINAL Japanese voice-actors chosen for their roles, were chosen because they were best suited to the characters according to the person/people that created them. Saying that anything else is better, imo, is an insult to the creator.

4) The translation from Japanese to English has a tendency to stray from accuracy. Case and point, the video below that I Fraps'd from FFX-International with Tidus & Yuna at Macalania Spring. The sync is a LITTLE off in some parts because of a drop in framerate while recording (man I wish Fraps wasn't so resource hungry). Other than that, the script and animation are dead-on. The translation (subs), however, are inaccurate. The english version is generally the same thing that they're really talking about, but it's been modified to suit North American mentality. Again, I don't like that, because everything that I know about Japanese culture, I really like. So why screw with something that's already beautiful?

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Tidus says "rock on" if I remember correctly. No North American has used that term in years.....unless your a cadaver

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
I love when people who don't speak Japanese say the Japanese voice actors are better - as if they could tell.
Ah, but I've taken the time (almost 3 years) of learning their language :) After comparing many, many different game and anime voice acting...the Japanese do a much better job overall.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
1) If it's a Japanese anime, I prefer the Japanese voices for the same reason as has been mentioned about English voice-actors just plain SUCK.
So the reason is more that you don't want to hear the English voice actors, and not that you necessarily want to hear the Japanese ones.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts