Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I recently got ePSXe again after a year or more of not using it. Glad to see the new 1.7.0 version :) But anyway, I basically got it to replay the old PSX FF games.

One slight problem though; FFVIII is refusing to play. I have tried other games (such as MGS, Tomba, Chrono Cross) and they all run perfectly as they did back when I used older versions of ePSXe. When I try FFVIII, it goes to a black screen but then won't go any further than that.

I have tried ripping from the physical disc to an image file and running that but no luck either. I tried it on my mate's PS2 and it runs fine, so there is nothing wrong with the disc. Also another funny thing I found was that the other FF games (7 and 9) won't work either with my copy of ePSXe 1.7.0. They stop on the same black screen.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read and if you have any further questions, or need me to rephrase, just say.

Oh and btw, I have re-installed ePSXe and it's plugins to try and solve this problem but no luck there.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
what format did you make your image in? i suggest using .ccd/.img/.sub or mdf, that would get rid of the copy protection factor, which might actually be the problem here.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ripped an image in the .ccd format and it works! Now I just gotta work around a few performance issues, because for some reason it's not running as smooth as it used to.

Alright, well thanks for helping me out so quickly :) a bit thank you from me.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
if you can post your system specs (just the CPU, GPU, and O/S for the most part), plugins in use and how you have them configured i can try to help you correct the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My system specs are:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
GPU: Geforce 7600GS, 512MB VRAM
2GB RAM
Plugins: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0
ePSXe CDR ASPI core 1.7.0
And I'm running this on a display with a resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p).
It used to run perfectly back in the day with the same setup, at full resolution.
Thanks for the additional help :)

Also, I just realized I meant "a big thank you" in my last post. Not "a bit"...

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
set render mode to 2, and force AA disabled in NVCP.

compatibility can be 1-2-2 for battle swirl, with the 1 and 2 gamefixes enabled, or 1-3-0 for motion blurr with no gamefixes required.

...i wish pete would give us the ability to have both :\

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried both of those and it still runs the same. It's bearable but it's not running how it used to. Nearly all games used to run smoothly at around 60fps (where I made the fps limit).

It's strange though; ePSXe says that the games are constantly running around 55-60fps when it is obvious to see that they aren't running anywhere as smooth as that. That's also with no fps limit, it won't go any further. I've tried playing around with different video settings and trying lower resolutions, but no change at all in frames or smoothness.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
disable the petes fps limit, or use eternal SPU to disable the epsxe limiter.

and set Vista to performance mode, or XP to home office / desktop.
install the amd dual core driver too if XP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.