Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
When I try to load up FFVII in ePSXe (brand new discs), it just freezes at the "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" screen. It doesn't even fade it in; it's just there, frozen. Actually, the "Presents" word has a slight skip going through it. It doesn't freeze the program, or the PC, just the game. I loaded up Delta and everything, configured it, and still nothing.

It loads up fine in VGS, though, although it has problems playing in that program too. It stops for a second or so every few seconds. Very annoying.

I tried out some other PSX games earlier in ePSXe, and they worked for the most part.

Can someone help me out?
Thanks

· Registered
654 Posts
I've been finding lately that new pressings of Playstation game disks are of less-than-stellar quality. When I make images of them with Alcohol, it has to slow down to an average of 3x sometimes in order to read them. I encountered this just last night with a brand-new copy of Xenogears (another Square game). It's possible that your brand new FF7 disks are marginal in quality.

So I have three suggestions (in addition to following the advice in the troubleshooting FAQ):
  • Use a tool like Nero CD-DVD Speed or KProbe2 to test your disk's quality.
  • Make images of your disks with a tool like Alcohol. Set that tool to not ignore errors, but also to retry lots of times before giving up on a disk.
  • Try my working FF7 config HERE.

Dan

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's a new copy of the "Greatest Hits" version, but the CD says it was made in August 1997...
I did a CD scan of the first disc, and it reported a total of 8,675,328 C1 errors, an average of 2048. Is that... bad? The Scandisc came out all clean, though.

· Registered
232 Posts
i take it the quality of the 'Greatest Hits' line of playstation discs arent that wonderful?
it seems odd however, because i have a Greatest Hits version of FFXI and Chrono Cross, and they work perfectly

for confusions sake:
the 'Greatest Hits' line of playstation games, are excatly the same as the original release, but the jewel case has a a green bar on the side indicating it as a Greatest Hits.

my only suggestion is going to a used video game store and finding a non Greatest Hits version of FFVII, or making an ISO for each of the 3 discs.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried your config, dbhankins, and it didn't work... but I was using ePSXe instead of sssPSX, and I used Pete's CDROM driver instead of Mooby because I was running from a disc, not an image. I also don't have SP2 installed.
Same freeze at the SCA screen, with a flicker going though the "Presents".

(Man, if this keeps up, I might have to actually play this thing on my PS1 instead of my PC... :p)

· Registered
654 Posts
C1 and C2 errors are the correctable ones. 2048 is a very high average for correctable errors. I don't think it has anything to do with whether it's "Greatest Hits" or not - I suspect it may simply be quality control at the factory where the disks are pressed.

_mr_m_, you have a Greatest Hits version of FF[highlight]XI[/highlight]? That was quick! ;)

Hatter, with that kind of error count, I strongly suggest you make hard-drive images of those disks immediately. Also, playing from the original disk is going to cause the game to pause every time it reads something from the disk (and therefore has to wait for it to spin up). You can also eliminate these pauses by using Nero Drivespeed to prevent your CD from spinning down, but the imaging route is just better.

Once you've successfully made an image that has no errors (make sure your image making tool does [highlight]not[/highlight] skip/ignore errors), run that and see if you're still getting the problem.

Dan

P.S. I think 1997 is the copyright date rather than the date the disk was pressed.

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
there's no way they made your greatest hits version in 1997 :rolleyes:

greatest hits versions also have a flimsier disc label, it's always a "clear" label as opposed to a colored one.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dbhankins said:
Hatter, with that kind of error count, I strongly suggest you make hard-drive images of those disks immediately. Also, playing from the original disk is going to cause the game to pause every time it reads something from the disk (and therefore has to wait for it to spin up). You can also eliminate these pauses by using Nero Drivespeed to prevent your CD from spinning down, but the imaging route is just better.

Once you've successfully made an image that has no errors (make sure your image making tool does [highlight]not[/highlight] skip/ignore errors), run that and see if you're still getting the problem.
Hmm... which image making program should I use, that would deal with the errors?
Once I've got the image, I just load it up through Delta or the Mooby plugin, right?

· Registered
654 Posts
I've used Alcohol 120% to good effect on 20+ disks. In File->Options->Reading make sure it's set for the maximum retries (16). When you go through the image making wizard, set it to the Playstation profile, do [highlight]not[/highlight] skip reading errors, Read subchannel data. On the next page choose CloneCD (CCD) format. Make a note of where it's going to put the image, or change the folder.

Delta is not a CDR plugin. It's a frontend for ePSXe similar to ePSXeCutor. What it does is run ePSXe with a particular set of plugins and settings when it detects that you've inserted a particular game.

So once you've got the image, you can run it in any of these ways:
  • Run ISO - there's no CDDA sound in FFVII so that issue won't arise.
  • Mount the ISO on a virtual CDROM (one comes with Alcohol 120%) and Run CDROM using any normal CDR plugin
  • Use the Mooby2 plugin and Run CDROM

BTW, once you get it working, you may notice slowdowns in certain parts of the game, particularly battle intros. If this bothers you, you may want to consider using sssPSX instead of ePSXe.

Dan

· Registered
232 Posts
_mr_m_, you have a Greatest Hits version of FFXI? That was quick!
Did i say FFXI?
i feel stoopid now, i should really proofread my posts.

FFXI is for PS2, so it wouldnt make sense to discuss it in a PSX forum.
sorry if i got you exited Dan.

I meant to say i had a Greatest Hits edition of FFIX.
oops

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.