Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with sound for FFIX on ePSXe 1.4. The game runs just perfectly, both movies and graphics. But the sound is not that good. Mostly(I think) the movie sounds are choppy and "intermittenly" (don't know if it's the right word, used the dictionary :)) like when you play an old LP. The ingame sound seems good. I used IsoBurner and wrote the cd's as iso on my hdd and am using Run ISO option to run the game. The iso'r are not patched or anything. I tried several sound plugins including Iori's and Andy's and toyed with settings but had no luck, always the same. I searched through the forum but couldn't find any info. Can you help me with this? I have SBLive Value on Windows XP Pro with latest XP drivers from Creative, if you need this info.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Is the SPU IRQ on in the sound config menu (not the sound plugin config menu). If so, set it to off. I had the same thing whenever I had that on (crappy FMV's). See if that helps. :)

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Make sure you didn't enable spu irq in two places at once when using other spu's besides the internal one.. Spu pluggins has the spu irq option and so does the epsxe sound options.. Enable spu irq in one place only.. I have spu irq enabled in all the spus configs and disabled in the epsxe sound options.. Except when I am using the internal spu..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EfrainMan : thanks. it was enabled. but didn't helped when I disabled it.. :(

fivefeet8 : uh couldn't get what you mean. can you please explain it a bit more? there are three irq settings: one at Options menu of epsxe, one at the main Sound config screen and one at the config screen of the Iori's sound plugin. which one of them should I check?

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Originally posted by kensai
EfrainMan : thanks. it was enabled. but didn't helped when I disabled it.. :(

fivefeet8 : uh couldn't get what you mean. can you please explain it a bit more? there are three irq settings: one at Options menu of epsxe, one at the main Sound config screen and one at the config screen of the Iori's sound plugin. which one of them should I check?

There are two irq options.. Sio irq and spu irq.. I was referring to the spu irqs.. Not sio irq.. That is something different.. Iori's pluggin as well as other external spu pluggins have the spu irq option.. Epsxe sound options also have the spu irq.. Enable spu irq in only one place.. As for sio irq.. I always have it enabled..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info fivefeet8

I tried that irq options. I tried to enable and disable one at the sametime and both at the sametime but didn't helped. some choppy sound..:(

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
How big is your sound buffer? If it's too small, sound can be choppy on a SBLive! and WinXP. I'm using the Eternal (based on Iori's) SPU, and my setting is 10.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is my sound config

Main sound config window:

All checked:
Enable Sound
Enable CDDA Sound
Enable XA sound
Enable XA read
Enable SPU IRQ hack