Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, surprisingly, this has nothing to do with the FMV issues or slow battles. :p

I'm currently playing Disc 3 of Final Fantasy IX, and am trying to finish up the Chocobo-related sidequests before I move on to the Forgotten Continent. However, I stumbled upon an error that's stopping me like a brickwall: anytime I enter either Chocobo's Air Garden or Chocobo's Paradise, when I then try to leave, the game hangs. It does the same hanging routine as the D1 Dali/D2 Cleyra/D3 Alexandria issues, where when an FMV is about to start, the screen stays white/black with music playing indefinitely, but unlike those problems, dropping savestates for proper Moogle saving doesn't help. If I load a memory card save and then immediately try to enter either location, the game will still hang upon leaving. This problem does not affect the other two Chocobo locales, Forest and Lagoon, and I've never encountered this issue with any other location in the game you can enter off the worldmap. I'd say perhaps the fact that they're two of the few places you need Dead Peppers to enter may have something to do with it, but I can enter and leave Mognet Central just fine. Obviously this isn't a game-breaking bug, so if I can't manage to get it fixed, I'll live, but I'm trying to be a completionist here.

I'm playing this with ePSXe 1.7.0; the ISO is NTSC. I've attempted it with P.E.Op.S. Soft (v1.18) and OGL (v1.78) drivers, as well as Pete's OGL2 (v2.9), with performance settings set for worst, best, and everything in between in an attempt to get it working: no dice. Tried all three of them on ePSXe 1.5.2 as well; same issue. Currently I've got the two OGL plugins set back at Kane's recommended settings, for lack of any better ideas. My PC is a T3304 eMachine, 2.01GHz AMD, 736mb RAM, GeForce 6100, with a dirt old Sound Blaster Live.

I did search the forums pretty thoroughly, so if I still somehow managed to miss a topic related to this issue, I apologize in advance.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
have you tried other emulators yet to see if this is something that goes beyond epsxe? what does it do when being run from the disc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Both running it on the disc and trying it with pSX had the exact same issue. To be absolutely sure, I tried a different version of the ISO with both emulators and it did the same thing again. Clearly this is no longer an emulator problem.

I wracked my brain and came up with two potential answers, both due to something I left out in the original post: I've been using PEC to hack myself 999 AP after every battle and a retarded amount of Gil. So there's the chance that just using said cheats once in the past (though they're not active now) caused problems that Moogle saving kept intact, and that I'm pretty much screwed unless I start over.

The other idea is due to a FAQ I was using for locating some of the harder-to-find Chocographs claiming you can't find the final Chocograph Piece needed to get a Sky Chocobo until after finishing Mt. Gulug. Possibly because of those hacks screwing the game up in minor ways, I'd already gotten all six Chocograph Pieces while playing Hot-n-Cold immediately after getting the Mountain upgrade, and have, in fact, continued finding Pieces I'd already gotten, as if the game is continually under the impression I don't actually have any (Key Item screen just shows only the six, though). So I've basically gotten a Sky Chocobo before the game was supposed to let me, and maybe that's why Air Garden and Paradise are freezing up? Because some internal switch to make the two locations work properly doesn't get turned on until Mt. Gulug is completed? That still doesn't explain why I can get to Mognet Central fine, which also absolutely requires a Sky Chocobo, but it's the best I can come up with. (EDIT: I was wrong; you can get there with an Ocean Chocobo, so this possibility suddenly looks even more feasible)

Whichever of the two is the explanation (if either), I clearly won't know until I get to Mt. Gulug, so I guess there's nothing to be done about it right now. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out my second guess was spot on. I got past Mt. Gulug (and, thus, got to the point where I had an airship and could legitimately travel the world), and the two Chocobo areas indeed started immediately functioning properly. Interesting block added by the programmers there.

At any rate, even though it turned out to not be something you all could (or even needed) to help with, thanks for offering suggestions anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.