Next Generation Emulation banner

FF9, Slow-down in world map.

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  fivefeet8 
#1 · (Edited)
I just installed the latest nVidia offical detonator 23.11 for my riva tnt2 m64 card.

Now, whenever I enter the worldmap, it slow down a lot, I can only get 30-40 FPS. I just dun wanna switch back to the pervious driver because I do notice a lot of speed up when in battle, which I can get 55 to 59.9 FPS all the time.

I am using Pete 's openGL plugin 1.55 plugin, and here is my setting:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.55
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: RIVA TNT2/AGP/3DNOW!

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 6
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000200]

what could be wrong?

See less See more
#3 ·
Try using Pete's D3D instead, and here:

- 640x480 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]

use 16 Bits instead... you won't notice any diference since you're already using - R8G8A8A8.

It will only reduce preformece using 32 Bits :)

#9 ·
ok..
Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.55
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - [16 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 4
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limit: off
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000200]

#17 ·
Originally posted by Thantos
umm.. i dont quite understand what a software plugin is care to explain?
Software gpu pluggins just doesn't use hardware accelleration.. So you get graphics like playing psx games on VGS.. They usually run faster and better for people who don't have a good video card.. There are several available for use in psx emulators including epsxe.. You can get them at the ngemu psx downloads section..

Software pluggins are also great for fully 2d fighting games..

If you do want to upgrade to a better vid card, you should think about getting a better cpu as well... Most current video cards today won't run at full performance on your current cpu.. You could try upgrading to a geforceMx.. Make sure your computer has an agp port though.. If not then get a pci video card..

#18 ·
thantos, listen well, mebbe others should as well....

turn filtering OFF. what do you need it for? no need for it.

try dithering in 16 bit colour mode.

turn mask bit on and off.

btw... does everyone know that all of pete's plugins have an ingame configure like kazz's soft plugin?

#19 · (Edited)
Originally posted by si_ok

btw... does everyone know that all of pete's plugins have an ingame configure like kazz's soft plugin?
As with all of petes pluggins, press "delete" to access the ingame menu options.. "page-up" "page-down" switches to which options and "end", "home" toggles the options.. You did know this is all in the readme that comes with petes soft pluggin didn't you? Guess not.. RTM..

Filtering is great for 3d games.. But isn't so great with 2d stuff.. Don't believe me, check out this shot of FF9 with filtering\without sprites..

#22 ·
Originally posted by fivefeet8
Here is the shot.. of FF9 with Filtering enabled on 3d..
do u play in the 3d mode? that shot looks really nice but when i tried in the D3D mode (petes GPU), battle scenes load VERY slow...once it gets going, it goes up to full speed again.

my specs:
p4 1.7 ghz
512 ram
geforce2 mx/mx400 64 meg
Toshiba 16xDVD rom

its tempting to run in D3D mode but way too laggy. :cool:

#24 ·
Originally posted by smartguy15_2000

do u play in the 3d mode? that shot looks really nice but when i tried in the D3D mode (petes GPU), battle scenes load VERY slow...once it gets going, it goes up to full speed again.

my specs:
p4 1.7 ghz
512 ram
geforce2 mx/mx400 64 meg
Toshiba 16xDVD rom

its tempting to run in D3D mode but way too laggy. :cool:
Use petes ogl pluggin since you have a geforce2.. You can speed up loading scenes by:

1. Disabling Full Vram Primitives
2. Set framebuffer textures to "black" aka "1"
3. Make an iso and run it..

This should speed up loading times but you won't see the special swirly effects before battles..

I use lewpys glide pluggin with my voodoo 5 5500 agp.. Try playing the game at a resolution of 640x480 and enable 4xFSAA and set filtering to "filtering\without sprites and sprite smoothing".. Here is a shot of FF9 with this setting.. Lewpys glide pluggin doesn't have sprite smoothing but 4xFSAA on a voodoo 5 more than makes up for it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.