Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I got FF9 running reasonably well, however I've got a few problems.

Firstly, the battle transitions from field to battle look like absolute shit and take 10-20 seconds to complete. During this stage the music slows down incredibly. I'm using the Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.54 with this config:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.54
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: Radeon DDR x86/MMX/3DNow!

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: on

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 4
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 0
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: on
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000200]

Battles themselves look beautiful, and I managed to eliminate the flickering health display and get the yellow bar to show up.

The other problem I'm having is that the music is running slowly. It's not that slow, just slower than the music heard on the PSX. I wondered how I'd speed up the music to the right speed.

System Specs:
800Mhz AMD Duron
384MB RAM
Soundblaster Live! 1024
ATi Radeon 32MB DDR

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Here's my settings. The swirlies look gorgeous and run perfectly with these, at least on my PC (500 mhz celeron, 128 MB RAM, GeForce 2 64MB)

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.54
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce2 MX/PCI

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 0
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000200]

As for the music going slow, that's just a result of the game itself running slow, which usually has to do with your GPU. Try messing around with those settings - turning off Bilinear Filtering might help a lot. Your SPU can also affect the game speed a lot - Andy's really slows down my game, for example. Try switching SPUs. I personally like Iori's the best - great quality with no slowdown.

·
Memories are all I have..
423 Posts
I think that the main problem is the FPS limit. I messed around with the setttings and I found out that you should NEVER use auto for FPS limit............
Set it at about 60 FF9 or 70 if you want it a bit faster.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Janus
I think that the main problem is the FPS limit. I messed around with the setttings and I found out that you should NEVER use auto for FPS limit............
Set it at about 60 FF9 or 70 if you want it a bit faster.
I doubt the FPS limit has anything to do with this particular problem, but Janus is right, auto-setting the FPS is generally not a good idea. Manually set it to 60 for NTSC or 50 for PAL. The only exception I can think of is MGS, which for some reason runs best at 30... :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Try running the game as an iso.. This will help with the slowness when goin into battle.. Loading from the CD is a lot slower than loading from your HD... Use the "Load iso" option in epsxe.. Or use the command:

-loadbin "full path and name of iso without the quotes"

ie.. -loadbin d:\mgs.bin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Alright, I did a bit of tweaking. Got the game running nice and smooth. Downloaded the Iori SPU and replaced Andy's SPU with that one. Didn't really change much, except that the map music's melodies of life theme is missing a few notes here and there.

Still can't get the swirlies working right. Got them down to not showing up at all, but that seems to be the best I can do. Fiddling around with some settings seems to have improved my FPS on the world map ten-fold.

The sound's still a bit wierd. The menu beeps seem to be a bit elongated and the moogle landing sound is very messed up. Some battle sounds are also screwy too, like going into trance and Bahamut's summon. There's also the music prob I encountered as mentioned above.

I am running the game as an ISO, as it's the only copy I have at the moment. My girlfriend's got the real disc. Hehe

FF9 now appears to be very playable though, so I'm very happy with that. Thanks for your help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts