Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in ff9 the 2d backgrounds and the 3d ground textures at fights are tiled in squares which are not fading into another (i'm not sure if this is spoken right).some are lighter and some are darker. i think in 2d its 32x32 pixels. i'm using petes opengl plugin at 1024x786 with filtering and 16 bit.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Turn off bilinear filtering in the plugin, and enjoy the game in true PSX pixelation :)
As a compromise, you can set bilinear filtering to not filter sprites ("... w/o sprites"), so the 2d background will look tiled correctly, but the 3d ground will still exhibit the breaks in filtering.
That's just the way it is with the filtering enhancement, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can u describe me why the plugin only filters in small pieces. why not filter the entire screen at once. is it faster?

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
It is just down to the way the PSX draws the screen.
The background in FF9 (like all the FF series) is drawn out of many 16x16 sprites (I think, it could be a different size), and they are drawn individually. Therefore, they are filtered individually as well, if filtering is enabled in the GPU plugin.
Since neither PSX hardware nor PSX software is designed to work with bilinear filtering, artifacts like this is inevitable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok the sprites are matching unfiltered ito each other.
but the filtering comes from the gpu.
as i know bilinear filtering is only to makes a colorfade between pixel (texels) into two directions. so why did the gpu filter those sprites individually when the psx hardware is not made for???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts