Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ff9 disk 3 after treno freeze- work around solution (last resort)

There have been several post about people with or without original cd's game freezing during the scene with baumant, right after the card tournament. After reading about this problem in the various faq's and doing a little research and testing, here is a temp solution:

1. First, before you start the last card game of the tournament, find a moggle and save! there is one in Treno, near the armor shop. Make sure you save in card 2, in slot 2. (this will be file epsxe001.mcr, remember this) Close epsxe.

2. download PSX. The best and easiest place is The Emulator Zone - pSX You also need a memory card converter. I would use Memcard Rex .07. Again, I won't go into details of how to use it. But here is a tip: when you select the contents of a memory card, the "save as" function creates a new file, and the drop down list wil give you the options of what emluator memory card format to save it as.

3. Get it set up, play with a little. It's pretty easy to pick up on if you have used epsxe. Now, copy your bios and your memory card file epsxe001.mcr from epsxe and put that in the Psx files "bios" and "cards", respectfully. Use the memory card convertor to convert the memory card files from epsxe (mcr) to psx (bin). Make sure you hook up your memory card to the file you just created in the configurations of PSX. (memory card 2 is epsxe001.bin)

4. Start PSX, and load the ff9 cd 3. Go to start screen and press continue. Load the save you just made on Epsxe. (if it isn't there, you did it wrong)

5. Play the last card game in Treno. Let the animation play. Unfortunately, you will have to do quite a bit before you can save again. I won't go through all that. However, what I will tell you is you will get to the castle with Zidane and have control of him again. Do not follow Dagger right away! First, go up the stairs behind you to your left. Once up there, go to the exit directly across from the stairs. From that room, take a right (your right, not Zidane's). There is a moggle there. Save with that moggle on block 2.

6. Close PSX.

7. Go back into your files, and find your memory card convertor. Convert the psx memory card file (epsxe001.bin) back into a epsxe memory card (epsxe001.mcr), using the save as funtion. It wil ask if you want to replace your file with name epsxe001.mcr, say yes. Exit the memory card convertor, go to PSX 1.13 "cards" file folder, and copy that new file you just made (epsxe001.mcr) .

8. Go back to the "epsxe" file directory, and open "memory cards". Paste everything you just copied. Say yes to everything being replaced.

9. Start epsxe, and ff9 cd 3. Press continue, and you will be able to use the save you just made on PSX. Bravo. Load that save up and continue on.*

*don't forget to go back to the library in the castle to fight the hidden monster. Last chance! Go here for more details: (no I did NOT write this faq)
GameFAQs: Final Fantasy IX (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough by Shotgunnova

*disclaimer: most people WILL NOT have this problem. This is for those who will. I would try doing these things first: Use CDR sapu, an isio image of your disk, use your orignial disk .

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Do not suggest the use of other emulators when there is no issue with epsxe in regards to the matter.

The issue is entirely Configuration dependant, (or users with bad rips).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. It must be an epsxe issue if it works on other emulators. I tried every recommended config I could find here and every where else before trying this above solution.

2. I only followed the very first suggestion from the trouble shooting guide. (you failed to read a sticky) http://forums.ngemu.com/problems-games/65247-troubleshooting-faq-read-first-before-you-post.html

3. I took the time to make sure I read up on it, and a lot of people using original cd's, iso's of those cd's, etc could not make it work either, not just those with downloads. Hence this post.

After reading your other comments on the problem, perhaps I shouldn't even responded to you.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
this freeze is caused by either a bad image or save states, the only compatibility problem this game has had was with version 1.6.0.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my apologies, I missed a step. Will be corrected tonight.

Ok, if a mod tells, me I'm wrong, then I am. Cool. I guess I just found a work around for those that actually have this problem.:)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I had the problem.
i found the fix.

nothing involved changing emulators.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're having this problem! - the issue is save states! If you loaded one prior to the movie, it will freeze, if you loaded out of a moogles little book, you'll be fine. I've tried it with mooby2, sapu, epsxe core, all on 1.7 mind you, and it worked fine each time, so long as i didn't use a save state. I tried it with the original disk and an iso, same thing, so as far as I could tell save states were the only issue.

Anyways, you probably don't need to take the steps posted by bender4380, however if problems do continue it seems like it would be a good way past them.

Yes, this is my first post. I'm a forum noob. I just wanted to end the douche-baggery going on here and set anyone who has this issue in the future on the right track because it took me about an hour to figure this out just because no one seemed inclined to post this simple solution.

If I shouldn't have posted this, I'm sorry, I'm just trying to be HELPFUL.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
save states are only one of the two causes for this issue. the other possible cause, as i mentioned earlier, is a bad image. which one it ends up being varies from case to case but ive never seen it turn out to be something other than those two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.