Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Game/Battle works fine with my plugins. The only problem I have is that my character models (walking around town not in battle) are very glitchy. What I mean is that even if my character is standing still, I will see parts of their head/arms/legs glitch and twitch constantly.

I would provide a picture but I don't think it would be helpful unless I somehow captured it on video (which sadly I cannot do atm).

My other problem is that my FMV quality is quite poor. It's not slow or anything just that I can see the pixels on many FMVs and it looks a lot worse than any FF7/FF8 FMV I have seen.

Any ideas and solution fixes would be welcome. Thanks

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
the twitching can only be fixed by using a resolution closer to the native.
FMV quality can be improved by using MDEC filtering.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
By the way, the native resolution for Final Fantasy IX is 320x224 for 2D scenes (2D world scenes and menus) and FMVs, and I think 320x210-something (it's a little shorter vertically than 320x224) for the world map and 3D battles.

As for the blurry MDECs, you can do what Squall-Leonhart suggested (no, not available in OpenGL(1)), but I'll warn you now that even then it'll still be blurry and pixelated at that resolution, because, as I said, it's a 320x224 video being both blown up so large, and stretched wider than it really is.

The "twitching" is something that happens. In short, the real Playstation lacked a Z Buffer, and that's one of the results. The larger the resolution, the more noticeable it is, as the pixels "jump" more pixels. I even see it at 640x480, and I even recall seeing it slightly on the Playstation on an interlaced CRT television (which the blurring would help hide), so in other words, it can't be gotten rid of. It can be made less pronounced by doing what Squall-Leonhart suggested, but it can't be completely gotten rid of. The game was made for a system that lacks a Z Buffer, so the game doesn't have that positional data. You have to get used to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.