Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to EPSXe and I just got everything working with FF9. There is just one annoyance that occurs, everytime a battle starts, the music slows down for a few seconds. Is there any way around this or is it cuz my computer is too slow??
I have a P3 500Mhz, 256MB RAM, GEforce2 MX 32MB

Here is my info:

Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.53
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - [16 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 4
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 0
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: none

Misc:
- Scanlines: on [200]
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Well it could be slowing down because its trying to load the fight from the cd.. Or the framebuffer effects are slowing it down... Try running from an iso and set framebuffer to black.. There is suppose to be some swirly effects that happen when a battle loads.. These swirly effects slow the game down if you don't have a high end computer.. Setting it to black ensures that the effects don't show and hence no slowdown.. Playing the game off an iso should speed the loading of the fight scenes since it is loading the game off your harddrive and not the cd.. Your harddrive is a lot faster than your cd rom drive..

FYI.. I use lewpys glide pluggin with my voodoo 5 5500 agp and get swirls at full speed.. No slowdown what so ever.. Plus I am running the game off the cd..

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Slightly off-topic: I saw you had "mask bit" to off. For FF9 it should be set to "on" otherwise you are gonna get some real garbage whenever something with blur effects come on (like summons and some of the more powerful magic. It has little effect on speed (at least I didn't see it), and displays the right colors and translucency for many spells. IMHO, running off ISO is better 'cause it speeds up the whole game, not just battle transitions :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the feedback. I am already running off ISO and the slowdown in music right before a battle, even tho everything else is fast. Any further suggestings would help!

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Um, lessee . . . you could try a smaller resolution . . . you could turn scanlines off (I hear they slow down things) . . . you could apply the FF9 special game fix (at the bottom) . . . dunno, I usually use Lewpy's :p

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Same situation here. I tried practically everything. In the end I just said "feck it", 'cos its not affecting the gameplay much and it give me a chance to drink my coffee without having to pause the game ;)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Quick note... I use Pete's OpenGL GPU with pretty much the same system as the original poster (Celeron 500 MHz, GeForce 2 64MB, 128 MB RAM) and I get awesome swirlies with zero slow-down. Off-Screen Drawing is at 3, and Framebuffer Textures at 2, and everything works hunky-dory. I'd suggest that markusn82 try the OGL if he wants some swirly action.

·
Registered
49 Posts
so does the swirl effect function in ff9 with the framebuffer set to 2?....couse with legend of dragoon i have to set up it to 0 since it needs the vram emulation...pls let me know, tnx

·
Registered
13 Posts
re

HI i had the same problem the fight music would slow own so much it made me trip out but heres how i fixed it i was using petes soft ..yuck..but then i switched to the dx6 d3d driver with some tweaked options its like this i dont get swirlys but theres no music slowdown and the graphics dam near exceed what a real psx can do im serios you can seen here it is tPlugin: Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.1.53
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller

Resolution/Color:
- 512x384 Fullscreen - [16 Bit]

Textures:
- R5G5B5A1
- Filtering: 0
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto