Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
what plugin are you using? that looks like a soft plugin, but not like pete's...

if you're going to use a software GPU, Peops is the best.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright, i've changed the graphics plugin to a much better one, pixel perfect now....nearly! I've still got yellow blocks appearing in place of text and the entire status box showing data when in battle has disappeared! Any ideas??

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, happily i've got the battle data back as i've since downloaded a more recent version of Pete's Plugin (2.7.0.0) but the yellow blocks remain.

also, here are the settings:-

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: RADEON 9800 Pro x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 1
- Keep psx aspect ratio: on
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 0
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: off
- Screen filtering: off
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for offering your help fireblaster_lyz:)

it didn't precisely work for me even though i tried it, loading from my save state it still had the galling yellow blocks. no, here's what i did: switch from the soft graphics plug-in to the latest Pete one, disregarded the save state file and instead loaded the game up from my last save in the memory card - eveything is working fine so far now:thumb:

anyway click that link..but remember next time, a simple search goes a looong way
this isn't entirely fair. you have to know what to search for first! if i don't know exactly what the problem is how can i make a search if i don't know the terms or names of things that are wrong?? I did search beforehand, typing in 'final fantasy text' but numerous threads surfaced unrelated to my problem.

and yes your thread is helpful, but only as a guideline as your settings are customised to your personal system, right?

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
you have to know what to search for first!
agreed. so, use your brain. you're playing FF9 and using OGL2. go search for, i dunno, FF9 OGL2 perhaps?

and yes your thread is helpful, but only as a guideline as your settings are customised to your personal system, right?
i know it's a lot of text, but you just have to try, ok? i designed that guide for plenty of different systems. i'll highlight the part that's important to you.

Internal resolutions should be kept both at 2 if you have a GeForce FX or GeForce 6xxx. this is also appropriate for Geforce4 Ti(NOT MX). if you experience slowdowns, turn it to 2/1, 1/2, or 1/1. if you have any videocard ever made by ATi, you'll need to turn set the Internal X to 1, else it wont run. if you have a geforce4 and XP, you'll need to turn the GF4 crash fix on.
anyway, the moral is, think before you post so you dont make a fool out of yourself. there are plenty of tips if you just search, not to mention this sticky at the very top of the forum with plenty of helpful troubleshooting tips.

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
well, i beat FF9 and save stated all the time, i never had a problem.

'course, im cautious with save states. i save state as i play just to mark my progress. but i never shut down the emulator without a memory card save to record my session.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
agreed. so, use your brain. you're playing FF9 and using OGL2. go search for, i dunno, FF9 OGL2 perhaps?
Why would I assume that 'OGL2' is the problem if the text appears as yellow blocks? Why couldn't it be that 'OGL2' is fine but just needs a particular setting adjusted? Why couldn't it be expse, which has a bug at that point in the game i.e. an emulation glitch? why couldn't it be a corrupted download of disc one? And above all, why would you stupidly assume an absolute novice would know these things?

the thread which you direct me towards has no mention of yellow blocks as a bug, and therefore no remedy as to how to remove them.

anyway, the moral is, think before you post so you dont make a fool out of yourself.
i agree, so how about doing so next time you chide others to 'search' when searching hasn't yielded the desired results, or whom are unable to diagnose the underlying cause of whatever problem they're experiencing, and/also the way in which they describe the symptoms (the word combination used) fails to bring up the answer that might well be there.

Internal resolutions should be kept both at 2 if you have a GeForce FX or GeForce 6xxx. this is also appropriate for Geforce4 Ti(NOT MX). if you experience slowdowns, turn it to 2/1, 1/2, or 1/1. if you have any videocard ever made by ATi, you'll need to turn set the Internal X to 1, else it wont run. if you have a geforce4 and XP, you'll need to turn the GF4 crash fix on.
i'm being a little arguementative here perhaps, but the above paragraph WAS NOT the solution to the yellow blocks. I simply switched plugins and resumed play via the memory card. Where, in that paragraph, does it say to do that in order to resolve 'yellow block issues'?:nod:

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
all you have to do is combine the troubleshooting tips...like i said use your brain.

i DID link you to the FF9 OGL2 thread, it's not like i made you guess. then hmm, i gave you the general troubleshooting tips. one of the first things is "dont load off save states, load off memory card." if you had just done a teensy bit of data interpolation, you could've figured it out on your own, right?

go try the OGL2 settings then load off memory card. you might be pleasantly surprised :rolleyes:

and anyway, i dont think i acted in a rash manner, i didnt threaten a ban or call you an idiot...i hope that my messages didn't offend your sensibilities.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
all you have to do is combine the troubleshooting tips...like i said use your brain.
but my brain isn't your brain, my thinking isn't your thinking. why assume that everyone will tackle problems in the same way?

you say avoid save states yet nullify that recommendation stating, 'well, i beat FF9 and save stated all the time, i never had a problem.' what is the novice supposed to think now? 'he says don't use 'save states' but uses them himself with 100% success?!'

go try the OGL2 settings then load off memory card. you might be pleasantly surprised
i've told you twice that i did that, but changed nothing. using the default settings proved fine.

i hope that my messages didn't offend your sensibilities.
not mine but i have noted you frequently rebuke others for not searching. how do you know they didn't search? finding the right words for the right results isn't always easy...

· Registered
5,810 Posts
I think theres a game fix for FF9 specially for that in pete's plugins.

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
you say avoid save states yet nullify that recommendation stating, 'well, i beat FF9 and save stated all the time, i never had a problem.' what is the novice supposed to think now? 'he says don't use 'save states' but uses them himself with 100% success?!'
i didnt say not to use them. fireblaster_lyz did, and i politely disagreed ;) if you're still confused, feel free to ask. but since i know you're still confused i'll lay it out here: save states are extremely handy and very convienent. however, they can load corrupt data and are often the source of problems. therefore, you shouldn't rely on them. i beat FF9 and save stated through the entire ~40 hours of playing, and i cant remember having any problems i couldnt rectify. the safe way to play it is to never quit the emulator without a memory card save, that way your data wont be lost.

i've told you twice that i did that, but changed nothing. using the default settings proved fine.
well, that's odd then, because many other people have reported those settings to be in fine working order. perhaps it's a driver problem or whatever? well anyway, as long as you have it working, that's fine. you may even want to make a post in that thread saying "these settings are bull, here are the settings that work for me" along with your computer specs.

not mine but i have noted you frequently rebuke others for not searching. how do you know they didn't search? finding the right words for the right results isn't always easy...
well then, i hate to come off cocky, but i guess searching isn't as easy for some as for others. i dont think i've ever been out-searched or out-googled but hey...whatever. as i type this i am helping a friend search for something on google right now...i understand your plight ;)

metalmurphy: thats only for OGL (not OGL2) and it deals with this weird yellow glitch, not a huge mustard stain.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
but since i know you're still confused i'll lay it out here: save states are extremely handy and very convienent. however, they can load corrupt data and are often the source of problems. therefore, you shouldn't rely on them. i beat FF9 and save stated through the entire ~40 hours of playing, and i cant remember having any problems i couldnt rectify. the safe way to play it is to never quit the emulator without a memory card save, that way your data wont be lost.
ok, cheers for the explanation:thumb:

well, that's odd then, because many other people have reported those settings to be in fine working order. perhaps it's a driver problem or whatever? well anyway, as long as you have it working, that's fine. you may even want to make a post in that thread saying "these settings are bull, here are the settings that work for me" along with your computer specs.
i wouldn't want to confuse things further. if the settings work for the majority they should remain clear of individuel, peculiar setups.

well then, i hate to come off cocky, but i guess searching isn't as easy for some as for others. i dont think i've ever been out-searched or out-googled but hey...whatever. as i type this i am helping a friend search for something on google right now...i understand your plight
yes, you've a gift!:2love:

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
omega2 said:
i wouldn't want to confuse things further. if the settings work for the majority they should remain clear of individuel, peculiar setups.
well the reason i mentioned it is because you're using a 9800Pro, a very very common card...if you were using like a Radeon 7000 or something lesser used these days, then it wouldnt be a big deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.