Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t get FF9 to work. I’ve followed your instructions step by step (ePSXe version 1.5.2, video driver & config ect.) but still it won’t start. When I run CDROM (using the original CDs) the screen goes blank (“black” should be the right word), the cdrom starts reading and never stops: I’ve tried to let it read for a while… 20 minutes without any result. But FF7 and FF8 work properly, and this is REALLY annoying…

I’ve read other threads about similar issues, but it seems that I’m the only one who hasn’t been able to load FF9 BOTH using version 1.6 AND 1.5.2. Another user could not start the game using 1.5.2, but 1.6 was OK. I tried both, but nothing to do.

Any help?

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dbhankins: I’ve tried both your config and Hushypushy’s, but I always get stuck. My version is the Italian PAL. I’ve also tried to activate “read subchannel data” in my cdrom config, but with no good news at all. Actually, to be honest, I still have to find (and try) the cdrom plugin you suggest to use in your config (that was CDRMOOBY2, am I right?)

Hushypushy: I’m playing with the original Italian PAL CDs.

A lot of people suggest to install the PAL patch because of the copy protection. Maybe you can think “just the same old newbie who doesn’t read the guides”… wrong! :lol: I saw that you suggest visiting Lord Kane’s site about patching the PAL versions. Wonderful, I said, let’s go have a look! Guess what… the site is down.

In a few words: how do I install the patch?

Thank you very much :thumb:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Built-in ePSXe Help File: PPF patching said:
Starting with ePSXe v1.5.0, ePSXe comes with an option to apply PPF patches to your game on the fly, as already seen in Pete's great CD plugin. NGEmu made a collection of important PPF files for you to download, but searching the web you should find plenty more. Using them is a bit more difficult, but easy once you got the system, and understandable for everyone who follows the step-by-step instructions below :

1. Download (and possibly unzip) the PFF patch EXACTLY for the game you'd like to patch. That means that you won't be able to use a PPF patch for FF9 german with your italian version ! Also keep in mind that some games (like Gran Turismo) have two versions.

2. Copy the file into the /patches sub-directory in your ePSXe directory

3. Look on the CD you want to use ... you'll find a file whose name is like SLES*,SCES* or SLUS*. Copy that name and rename the PPF file from your /patches directory to exactly the same name (also in uppercase !).

4. You're done, the next time you run that game ePSXe will add the patch on the fly !

Please do not ask any of the team members to mail you a certain PPF file, these requests simply will be ignored. Asking on the forum might get us to upload one, but don't count on it.
As for finding the patch you need, Google is your friend.

EDIT: If you got that message, chances are your card does not support OGL2. Try updating the drivers. If it still doesn't work, stick with the OGL1 or other type plugins, or update your GFX card.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Bluekirby... all is clear now. I've tried a PPF file, but it didn't work. Maybe I wasn't using the right one, but I have a bad feeling about this... I have read somewhere that some versions (and Italian is one of those) simply don't have a downloadable patch... Perhaps this means I must get a real Playstation? :)

(tnx for the video setup hint. I'll try that)

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
What video card do you have? If you have a borderline card for OpenGL2 (like a GeForce 4 Ti), enable "no render to texture", disable "use pixel shader for PSX texture window emulation", and turn off shader effects. That should help get the plugin working :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bluekirby: I’ve tried several different patches, but as I wrote before, there is no Italian PAL version patch (or I haven’t been able to find it). I’ve extracted the PPF file and renamed it according to the name of the SLES file found on the original game CD. At first every patch seemed to work properly (e.g. the trainer patches showed the cheat control panel, and the PAL/NTSC selector asked me whether I wanted PAL or NTSC) but when I tried to start the game, the emulator simply crashed. Each single patch would lock up the pc. You have warned me to use the EXACT version, but I’m convinced that no ITA patch has ever been created.

Here is something I still can’t understand: does the copy protection work even if I’m using the original CDs?

Hushypushy: are you suggesting that I should create ISOs with subchannel data and then use the ISOs instead of the original CDs? With or without the patches? Or do you mean that I should make an ISO substituting the original SLES file with the patched one?

n_w95482: Bingo! I have a GeForce 4 Titanium 4600 (not exactly up-to-date…) , what you are proposing should work. I’ll keep you informed.

What about the copy protection working with the original CDs?
Thank you very much

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
im saying you just need to make an ISO with subchannel data. that's it. you dont need to patch any sort of crap. just make an ISO with subchannel data and run it.

btw, you can make a PPF patch with Peops CD plugin. you can also tell it to read subchannels. either way, you will get past the copy protection.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ehh...I just copied that straight out of the help file, i didn't modify it in any way, and it is just coincidence that it happens to mention FF9 ITA version...if you look in your own help file it will say the exact same thing...
At any rate, no, there doesn't seem to be a PPF patch for FF9 ITA, as the group that seems to have been making the ITA patches got arrested some time ago. Use PEOpS CD plugin to read subchannels to a file if you still want to use the original CDs (reading subchannels on the fly is slow and may not be supported by your drive), or better yet, make an image with subchannels like hushypushy said. There is no advantage to using original CDs (as the copy protection still keeps it from working right straight off the CD unless it can read subchannels) over a correctly made image in an emulator...actually it is usually just the opposite. Images perform better than CDs.

If you wanna know how the copy protection works and why it applies to ePSXe, even when using original CDs, read on...otherwise, thats it.
Several European games were embedded with invalid data in the subchannels upon release. The European-released consoles could read the subchannels and determine if the disc was valid or not. Most programs at that time to copy discs would have seen the invalid subchannel data and "corrected" it, which would make the disc fail in a console.
ePSXe relies on the CD plugin to provide that subchannel data. If the subchannel data is not read by the plugin, or if the plugin provides false data or "corrected" data instead of the bogus original data, the copy protection kicks in and makes the game unplayable. The only ways to get around this is:
A) Patch the game to remove the routine that disables it in the event that the subchannel data has been corrected
B) Read subchannels off of the CD on-the-fly to satisfy the copy-protection
C) Copy subchannel data to the hard drive so it can feed out the data as it is needed to the plugin. Creating this "subchannel file" takes a while, but it is the most compatible option without having a proper patch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hushypushy: all problems solved. You know, I had already tried to create ISOs and use them instead of the CDs, and that didn’t work.
When one begins not to read the logs, this develops into a bad habit that is difficult to break… the burning software tried to warn me that the cdrom unit was unable to read sub channel data but, as previously said, when you ignore the messages…
However, I switched to the cd-writer to read sub channel data, and this way the ISOs worked perfectly, both with 1.5.2 and 1.6. My mistake was to stubbornly persist in using the CDs.

Bluekirby, you’re absolutely right when you say that images are better (I played Vagrant Story with ePSXe using an ISO file, even if I own the original – it seems that VS image doesn’t need sub channels), but I was fully persuaded that they would never work… until I used the cd writer, which can read sub channels. And, for the same reason, no ePSXe cdrom plug-in would work because of this hardware problem: simply, my cdrom doesn’t read sub channels.
By the way, thanks for the explanation of how the copy protection works even with the original CDs. I’m glad I don’t have to use a patch…

Thank you for all your great help… I owe you one! :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, it didn’t… unfortunately, I’m still getting that annoying “no WGL extensions” message, which disappears when I use an older video plugin. Probably my video card is becoming too obsolete to support such recent drivers (even if the most recent PEOPS drivers work properly...). Thank you for your help anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
That's odd, I've heard of people getting OGL2 to work with GF4 Ti cards. Try using these settings:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: RADEON 9500 Pro x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 1
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: on

- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 128 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: off
- Screen filtering: off
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: on
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
I couldn't remember if not having the GF4 fix on caused the WGL extensions problem or if it just outright crashed the emulator. I enabled it in those settings though :p. Wasn't that a problem with the 4x.xx/5x.xx drivers, not the newer ones?

Edit: Just looked it up in the OGL2 readme and here's what I found:

GF4/WinXP crash fix
nVidia Geforce4 WinXP drivers (Det 4X.XX/Forceware 5X.XX) are having a bug
which will crash the plugin after a few frames. Enable this option as a
workaround. Note: Geforce2/3 and FX cards don't need this fix, as well as the
GF4 Win9X drivers or older XP drivers (3X.XX or lower).
So it is a problem with just the older drivers. The crash part is rather vague though; it doesn't say whether it's a WGL error or a full crash. I guess we'll find out soon enough :p.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it turned out to be a driver problem… installing the most recent Nvidia drivers AND checking the “GF4/WinXP crash” (as blind as a bat… how could I miss that?!?!? :emb: :emb: ) everything went smoothly.
Using “pixel shader for PSX texture window emulation” still gives me some problems… the usual message window saying “missing shader extensions” (and then the emulator crashes!). Apart form that, everything seems to work properly (even if the framerate keeps quite low… I suppose I’m overloading my video card!)

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.