Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've tried a variety of sound plugs, and andy's seems to come fairly close, but I still get wierd effects on the sound in ff8. Most noticible are the bass sounds, i.e. the thunder effects in quezecotl's summon. Instead of the normal booming, i get a kind of rattle. Then the actual lightning sounds are very high pitched and squeaky. Anyone else have this problem? Any recomendations on what sound plug I should use, or is it just a setting problem?

Thanx in advance,
Gmoff

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'd recommend trying the internal plug-in if you haven't already. I personally can't comment on it since I can only play on emulators so I'm subject to their limitations but I don't recall it sounding like how I imagine your description. You can also try Pete's sound plug-in. I'd recommend Iori's as well but since Andy's is based on it they sound pretty similar (I prefer Iori's mind you).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I have tried all of these. Petes makes the right sounds, but only intermitantly. In other words, it doesnt always play sound at all, but it gets it right when it does. The others have the same problem I described up top.

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
544 Posts
I'm probably stating the obvious, but:

Try playing around with the playback rate. In my experience with sound compression techniques, the rattles and squeaking have occured when the playback rate was 11Khz. Also, you may have selected a playback rate that your card doesn't support all the way. Go for 44.1Khz if your system can push the amps for it, but 22Khz is another rate that most cards will support without problems.

Sometimes selecting 8-bit or 16-bit quality, in conjuntion with the playback rate, can cause it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts