Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im using a PAL rip from the original ff8 cd, and I load it up and it does not work. Just a black screen. So what do I do? It works on the actual cd when I boot it up and Ive tried several plugins...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Probably you are missing the subchannel data. See my website for details about this.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
You need to have made an ISO with the nessacery subchannel files and to have told the cd plugin to use them.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
.....You need to create the files from your own disc.
Copi8ed directly from my site:

CDR Plugin (PEOPs CDR)

I recommend using CDRWin or CloneCD to create ISO files to play games as it often improves MDEC performance.

user posted image
Normally Pete's plugin is the best for games that require subchannel reads (some PAL games), other wise I use Xeven's plugin. Games which need subchannel reads will have tutorials on how to use them (eventualy)
Interface: Depends on your O/S, and whether or not you have an ASPI layer installed. Go with whatever works.
Read Mode: Just Autodetect, or use BE_2 if that fails
Caching mode: None is the slowest mode, but it should work on most drives. Read ahead will read more sectors at once, speeding up MDECs. There is a small chance that a few drives cannot do it, so set it to None, if you are having troubles. The Async mode will do read ahead and some additional 'intelligent' asynchronous reads. Use ASync if possible.
Try to Limit Speed: Some drives will work better if you limit the drive speed. Not all drives support the "set speed" command, and if your drive doesn't support it, a message will be displayed on start up.
Don't wait till the Drive is ready: Some drives will not report when they are ready, and will remain on a black screen unless this option is activated.
Try again on reading error: Sometimes, the CD won't read in the first pass. This option allows you to set how many times the pugin will try again till it reports a red error, and the underneath option allows it to pop up a message box if it does fail.
Use PPF Patch file: Allows you to patch the game on the fly (for circumventing copy protection on games that look for sub channel data), without creating an ISO image. The Emulator one is easier to use, as it automatically patches appropriate discs.
Subchannel Reads: Alows the reading/ caching of Subchannel data in data tracks for copy protection.

* Use subchannel SBI/M3S info file: The plugin will only do the normal data reading, but everytime a game wants to subchannel data, the plugin will use the subchannel data stored in a file on your harddisk. So, you just have to create a subchannel info file of your copy protected game one time, and activate that file in the plugin if you want to play that special game. You can use the plugin to rip the data, or you can use CloneCD if that doesn't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts