Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried P.E.Op.S. for the first time today, and it's impressive.

P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.16 gives me flawless 2D, and flawless FPS, but the 3D looks absolutely awful. There's a screenshot below. I shrunk the image a bit for the sake of file size, but believe me the quality doesn't decrease versus the real thing when you zoom in at 3-4x.

As you can see, every poly on the screen looks like it was buillt out of legos. That's with every filter I could enable, in 1280x1024 resolution. What options or resolutions I pick don't seem to matter. I get clearer textures with Pete's OGL 1.75 plugin at 320x240. I'd use Pete's, but unfortunately it causes slowdown in many areas of the game unless I turn everything down so low that it looks worse then P.E.Op.S.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this, or can it even be fixed?

I'm running a Athlon XP 2200+ with 1 gig of RAM, a GF4 ti4200 128mb, and using ePSXe 1.6.0. My HD has 210 gigs free, and was recently defragged, so speed shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
780 Posts
While the P.E.Op.S has auto filtering, it still wont look great since it is a software plugin. Since you have a Ti4600, you shouldnt need to use software in the first place.

Edit: Reread the post and noticed you already tried the plugins. Theirs no reason for you card to perform that bad. What drivers are you using?

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm using the Nvidia 6.xx drivers. I update to the newest one whenever possible, and I have DX 9.c.

I achieve the best results from Pete's OGL 1.75 using the same settings you do. except I have slowdown to about 20 fps in any transition situation, as well as when casting certain spells in battle, like Holy and Meteor.

Edit:

After screwing with it for many hours. I finally found the culprit. Believe it or not, it was the scanlines!

I can run FF8 at 60fps in 1280x1024 and have no drops below 58fps except during battle and area transitions. That's with pretty much anything I want enabled. 2xSAI, screen smoothing, or even 8x anisotropic filtering, and 4xAA on my video card. It was dropping to 20fps during those transitions even at 400x300, but after disabling scanlines completely, it maintains a minimum of 49 fps during the slowest part of the transition. I really have no clue why this would be, but it works, so screw it.:heh:

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
don't use AF in PSX games ;)

PSX games dont have a Z buffer, so AF is basically worthless except that it forces bilinear filtering all over, which can create some nasty and unwanted effects.

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I don't actually use any of those effects. I enabled them for testing purposes just to see what kind of frame rate I'd get. I don't see how I can have a higher frame rate with stuff like that enabled and no scanlines, rather then just having scanlines by itself.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well I have never used AF in anything, I dont see a difference. Also I dont see why scanlines would affect the performance that much, but when I use scanlines in FF8 it wont even reach the menu. Every other game (including FF7 and 9) is fine though.

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking that maybe my ISO's could be the problem. I make them with ISObuster, but I've seen that alot of people usually use CloneCD, or Alcohol 120%.

I don't have compatibility problems with any of my ISO's though, and the mdec's run fine.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Try setting framebuffer texture to 0 and framebuffer access to 4 or framebuffer texture to 2 (or 3) and framebuffer access to 3. Your CPU should be fast enough to do software FB effects (first setting) and your video card should have good framebuffer speeds to handle hardware rendering (second setting).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts