Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever i try to play Final Fantasy VII on ePSXe in linux the fps drops to 20 every other second, which, as you can imagine, really does hinder the FF7 experience. i've played with the video and sound settings like mad and couldn't find anything that didn't skip. here's what i've got going on:

Video:
-plugin: Pete's XGL2 2.7
--resolution:1024x768
--InternalX: 0
--InternalY: 0
--Keep PSX aspect: 1
--Fullscreen: 0
--No "ATI Render Texture" extension: 0
--
--ShowFPS: 1
--Use FPS Limit: 1
---Auto Detect
--
--Fullscreen filter: 0
--shader effects: 0
--shader level: 0
--
--Scanlines: 0
--Filtered MDECs: 0
--Use OpenGL: 1
--
--Filtering: 0
--HiRes Tex: 0
--VRam size: 0
--Use Pixel shader for PSX TexWindow: 0
--
--Offscreen drawing: 0
--Framebuffer effects: 0
--Framebuffer upload: 0
--Flicker fix: 0
--
--Game Fixes: 1
---02: Ignore moves(ff7/8): 1

Sound:
-Enable Sound: 1
-Enable CDDA Sound: 1
-Enable XA sound: 1
-Enable XA read: 1
-Enable SPU IRQ Hack: 0
-plugin: P.E.Op.S. ALSA Audio Drive
--volume: 3
--reverb: 2
--interpolation: 2
--
--enable xa playing: 1
--change xa speed, if its too fast: 0
--
--high compatibility mode: 1
--spu irq - wait for cpu action: 0
--spu irq handle irqs in decoded sound buffer areas: 1
--mono sound: 0

any help is always appreciated.

ObsidianX

·
Registered
654 Posts
A more complete list of hardware and opsys specs would be helpful. For instance, if you're on a laptop, CPU-slowing power conservation (built into hardware, configured through BIOS) functions could be causing the behavior. Also, have you run a performance monitor to see if some other process is consuming your CPU?

Finally, is this just a framerate drop or does gameplay slow as well? Is 20FPS an estimate based on your observation of the game's behavior, or did you turn FPS display on and you're seeing it drop to 20 at regular intervals?

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have fps display on and it goes from 60FPS down to 20FPS regularly. i thought it was the cdrom's fault at first because it kept on spinning down but even when i ripped the CD it still did it.

im on a desktop computer running Gentoo Linux with kernel 2.6.12.5. i dont use any cpu throttling as i dont have a mobile or a modified processor, and when checking `top' for processor usage i find nothing out of the ordinary. with all my normal programs running i idle at about 20% cpu usage but its never been a problem in the past and i can always test turning things off.

thanks for your speedy replies,
ryan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i monitored the cpu usage when epsxe is actually emulating and it spikes to around 80%. and this is just the bios running. during emulation it's pretty much the same. i tried giving it top process priority (nice -20) and its still not working right.

in response to fireblaster_lyz: yes, each one does the same thing. this led me to believe it was the sound driver causing the issue but chaning that around did nothing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Is this a general emulator problem, or just FF7? Have you had similar problems with other games?

Is the slowdown regular - are the intervals between slowdowns always the same length? Or does it depend on what you're doing in the game? Do you see different slowdown behavior in menus or FMVs or battles?

Does gameplay slow down as well, or does the animation just get choppy?

How much memory do you have, and how beefy is your gfx card?

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.