Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to play Final Fantasy 7 on my laptop using epsxe version 1.6.0 for a few days now without much luck. I feel that my computer is somewhat outdated, and while some of the time the game plays fine ( I expect small problems and dont mind them) Ive had plenty of larger problems as well. Namely, 1) game has frozen a few times 2) if I pause the game and then try to go back into it the graphics will be screwed up ( either everything is weird shapes and colors to the point that you cant tell what is what on the screen, or its completely black) 3) there are consistently small squares on the screen that are messed up with weird colors and not looking as they should 4) sometimes when I enter an area there will be crazy flashes of varying colors of light on different portions of the screen, usually the outlines or borders of objects and things. This is the first time Ive ever tried emulating playstation on my computer, previously I have flawlessley used visualboy advance and project 64 to play rather graphically demanding games. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could suggest what plugins would work best for me, or if I should try a different emulator, or different setting, or even if I should just give up and go buy something.

computer specs : Intel Pentium III Processor 1.00 GHz, 256 MB of Ram ; ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2X ; Windows XP

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for starting other threads, today is the first time Ive ever even posted on a message board so I really dont know what Im doing yet. The plugins Ive downloaded for epsxe 1.6.0 for video : petes d3d driver 1.75; petes dx6 d3d driver 1.75; petes opengl driver 1.75. Ive tried them all. The game doesnt seem to work at all for the opengl one. The other seem to work equally as well to me with the same problems, however I have a rather untrained eye so I wouldnt be picking up on the little intricacies and differences in performance anyway. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Go into the video plugin configuration menu, click the "Copy settings to clipboard" button, then paste the contents into a new post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
( I've been using this plugin slightly more often than the other Pete's one's) Plugin: Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.1.75
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2X (DELL)

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode

Textures:
- R5G5B5A1
- Filtering: 3
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 0
- Framebuffer access: 0
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: none

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: on
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000001]

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
If you can, try updating the drivers for your graphics chip. Here's the settings I would recommend.

Plugin: Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.1.75
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2X (DELL)

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode

Textures:
- R5G5B5A1 [highlight](Try setting this to either R4G4B4A4 or R8G8B8A8)[/highlight]
- Filtering: 3 [highlight](Try turning this off)[/highlight]
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 0 [highlight](At least set this to 1)[/highlight]
- Framebuffer access: 0
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: none [highlight](Try setting this to "Hardware")[/highlight]

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: on
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000001]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just tried it with a savestate, no difference. Im trying it now normally without using a savestate- just tried the game without savestate, seems to working fine. The problem is that sometimes it does work fine, othertimes in doesnt. Hopefully this is fixs, if not Ill just post again. But for now it works, thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry but definitely not any better now. It works ok on the world map, but when I go into a town the problem is worse than ever. Not only are the graphics very messed up , but it slows down, and freezes. Any other ideas? something else I should download? change settings? Do you think that I could fix this problem by buying a new video card- and if so within the range of $100 what would be best for a laptop like mine. Sorry for so many questions, but I really appreciate the help

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Just to let you know, you can't upgrade the video card on your laptop (only certain high-end Dell and Alienware models let you do so, I'm not even sure if they're out yet :p) so you're stuck with what you have. As a last resort, you could try using the P.E.Op.S. software plugin. It should run fine but be forewarned: the game will look like crap (3D with soft plugins=bleh).

You could also try maxing out the offscreen drawing, setting framebuffer texture to 0, and setting framebuffer access to 4. I highly doubt it would run at full speed but it's worth a shot if you can't stand the look of P.E.Op.S.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks ,I guess Ill just have to lug my playstation up to school and stop playing the game on my laptop ( sucks but oh well). I had been trying to fix the problem on my own, and I suspect that while using the .pec plugin for cheats the problem gets substantially worse. There are definitely still problems without the cheats, but its worse with them. I tried finding another thread that had a similar issue but had no luck. Is this a likely cause of making my problems worse ( the cheats) ?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I've seen a couple of threads on these forums mentioning weird problems with games while using [pec] but I personally haven't had any problems. Then again I haven't used [pec] in a long time. I would try out the P.E.Op.S. soft plugin though if I were you, if you can stand the look of it it should run great. It ran pretty well on my Pentium I rig, even with the battle swirls (that is if you consider 15-30 FPS @ 320x240 windowed good :p).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
wow your right, it does run better with the soft plugin. The battle swirl appears for the first time, and the battle effects and graphics overall seem better. My only complaint is the speed, which is just way too fast. The music is annoying because its playing at super fast speed, and everthing is going very fast. Is there anyway to slow things down to normal?- correction, seemed better at first. Till my eyes got used to it and noticed how there werent the crazy flaws of before, but overall the graphic quality was much worse. So anyway thanks for the help, I appreciate it, and I guess I just need to make the choice between playing with crappy graphics or not

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Turn on the framelimiter and set it to Auto. That will slow it down to normal speed. Did you also try updating the video card drivers?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks the slowed it down to normal. I checked for updates to my driver but there werent any available so I guess I am as updated with drivers as my computer will allow. Basically the game runs smoother and without the awful problems of before with the soft plugin, and I can even see the battle swirl effect. But overal the graphics are much worse. If there is anything else I could do to maintain the good overall graphics of the dx6 d3d plugin from petes, but without having the awful problems that Ive previously had in using it, I would be very grateful. If not Ill just make due, thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Tonight I have a new problem with FF7. Ive already dealt with the graphics issues from last week- now Im up to the part of the game where you try to get the keystone from Dio by fighting in the battle arena place. What happens is that following the conversation between Cloud and Dio, the music starts to play and automatically Cloud begins to run into the battle square. He gets into the center of it with his sword raised, and then all of sudden an error message pops up and the game closes. The message states " Error running epsxe- opcode 15 UNK ( PC 00000080) ( 6390, 202) " . Does anyone have any idea what this means? Any idea how I can fix this and continue on with the game? Naturally my computer specs havent changed since the beginning of this thread, and Ive been using the Pete's dx6 d3d driver plugin ( because even with the problems I had posted about before, the graphics are still alot better looking than with the soft plugin). Also, I checked out other threads with similar issues. I saw no good solutions. I have tried basically every plugin available on ngemu for the epsxe, and I am not using save states. I am using an iso. Still I get the same problem, the digits in the brackets at the end change, but the digits in the first set of brackets are always the same ,as is the rest of the message. HELP PLEASE!!??? - also, I tried using epsxe version 1.5.2 instead of 1.6.0 and it made no difference- also, I know that using cheat devices such as .pec can cause problems, and I am not using any such devices- I just tried it using a different emulator, and even save states,and the same thing occurs. Please does anyone have any advice? Im not gonna start my gaming all over again just to have the same thing stop me at the same spot, and ive already put alot of time into the game to just stop here. Im sure some one out there recognizes and understands my frustration and can help. So please, anyone?

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
One thread is enough. Closing.

Edit: So this is the second time you break the same [rules]rule[/rules]. I'm warning you for the last time: Posting twice or more the same question, be it on the same or different threads, is not allowed. Next time you'll be temp banned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.