Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering if anyone from the UK could help meout getting these games started.
I've checked the FAQ, and I'm not really expecting any luck with FF9, especially as I don't have the ability to actually make an ISO of the game to patch in the first place... If there is a patch... Is there a patch?

For FF7, though, I just keep running into the bug where you can't start a new game.
I used to have a bug whereby it'd take aeons to actually start the game up, but I seem to have managed to cut that down so that it only takes ages. Then I couldn't make any of the buttons register during the game, so I couldn't get past the theme tune, but that seems to have sorted its way out.

But now I'm at the title screen, and I've found that none of the versions of ePSXe I've tried will get me into the game itself (1.00, 1.01, 1.20 and 1.40).

I was just wondering if anyone out there had either a save-state, or a memory card save to get me to the first save point. If no, then info on any known work-arounds would be appreciated.

Ta,
Frosty

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You need to patch FF9 UK PAL with the patch on this page: http://www.aldostools.com/ff9.html (scroll to about halfway down the page). If you are able to use Pete's CD plugin 1.7, it has the option to apply the ppf patch to the data from the CD whilst it is reading the disc, this means that you dont have to make an ISO image and then patch the ISO first (mind you it may be worth creating an ISO image because it will perform better).

And I think for FF7 you may have to press F4 at the New Game screen (I cant remember, but I can have a go tonight)

I hope this helps you and not confused you :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I successfully applied the patch to FF9, but I can't actually use either the Joypad or the Keyboard to input commands into the game at the moment, so I'm a bit dead in the water with that at the moment... I can get controls in FF7 in ePSXe 1.00, but anything above that, and I'm locked out.

And I still can't seem to start FF7 :(

So, still got locked controls, but a semi-functional FF9, but still at a complete loss with FF7...

Might it be one of the soundcard settings that's killing the controls?

No idea.

I hate being a newbie :mad:

Frosty

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
ff7 was fully functional in the version of epsxe prior to the current release i believe. you need to clear out all your reg entries, run that version, save at the 1st savespot (or savestate if you prefer), then install the current verion of epsxe to play the rest of the game.
as for controller issues, make sure its set up correctly. sometimes hitting f5 works.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. As official smart-guy type, I twigged this morning that, since FF7 doesn't support analogue controls, the game isn't going to work if I have analogue controls enabled, and that the controls worked in the early versions because the early versions don't actually support analogue controls in the first place.
Simple after you've sworn at the machine for a few hours or so, really, isn't it?

Right, turns out that the same thing was screwing up FF9, so that's working too, now.

So, how do I clear the ePSXe registry entries, then? Not really something I particularly wish to muck about with with little or no information, you see...

Thanks to both of you for your generous help, BTW, it's very, very much appreciated.

Ta,
Frosty

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thanks for the advice on the games, then.
Final Fantasy 9 is now up, running and brilliant.

Final Fantasy 7 has now decided that it likes to crash for no apparent reason when checking the memory cards, right when it never did before... I reckon I'm just going to leave it until the next version comes out, because something obviously doesn't want me playing FF7 for the moment.

Thanks again, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts