Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
perfect config, OGL2, FF7

This thread is for the discussion of OGL2 settings for Final Fantasy VII. If you are having a problem NOT regarding these settings (game is running too fast, too slow), get out of this thread. If you aren't sure whether you should use OGL2, get out of this thread. This thread is for the config itself and the discussion about it.

If your question is "my FF7 doesn't run right when I use your config" then leave this thread immediately. Make your own thread.

If your question is related to a particular setting in my config, or you want to make a suggestion (or add your own config), then post it in this thread.

If you disobey any of those rules, you're looking at a ban. It only takes 20 seconds to read what I just posted, there's absolutely no excuse.

This is my OGL2 config for FF7. It may change over time as Pete's OGL2 evolves, but the basic settings will always be the same. Through careful playing and help from Phoenix Flame, here you all go:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce 6800/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 2
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 4
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: on
- VRam size: 128 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 2

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: on [00000002]

i have it on Very High X and Very High Y. only Nvidia GeForce4 (NOT mx), the FX series, and 6xxx series support very high Y. for all else (i.e., Radeons), put on High X. if you try to set Very High X on a Radeon, the emulator will crash. if you don't believe me, try it out, but you might want to take my word for it ;)

Pete's OGL2 plugin is unique in the fact that it supports shaders. if you have a fast enough card (Radeon 9xxx or GF5900+ recommended...my old FX5600 wasnt good enough to deal with them), i suggest you fiddle with shaders. you can get some interesting effects.

another thing: set your Vram to the correct amount. mine is at 128 because that's what my card is ;)

also, from talking to Kane-Sama, you don't need the FF7 special game fix! crazy, i know.

also, i set texture filtering at 4 because it looks nice to me. you can mess with this setting however you like. if you press delete in game you can scroll over to the filtering setting (using page up/down) and change the options with Home and End. scroll between em to see what you like.

EDIT: changed pic location so it wont get shut down for going over bandwidth (because it already did!)

EDIT2: well i guess bassfishers.net is not a good hosting solution for my pics since some people cant see it. i've uploaded it to ngemu as well, so if you cant see teh pic, well it's attached. remember kids, DONT USE PINCHPENNY.ORG for hosting. Andrew Hruska likes it, and it just plain sucks anyway.

EDIT3: well it's been a while since i made this guide. in that time, Pete has added a few new options to his plugins, like no render-to-texture (for cards before the FX or 9500 era), the MDEC filter, and i've gotten a new videocard :) you'll notice that i've also added the option "stretched" under "hi-res textures". i've found that this looks nice in my testing. this, like texture filtering, is a preferential setting. the real magic lies in the "compatibility" and "special game fixes" sections. the rest is just icing :) i've added the new config to the uploads. bassfishers.net is down atm, so i cant direct link to it above. but just click on the new one down below (the bluer one) and that is the updated-for-2005 setup :)

EDIT 1/12/05: i think ill put the date on my edits now. anyway, the pic is now hosted at imageshack as well.

edit 1/21: changed my config again, from talks with Kane-Sama.

EDIT 7/22: ok ive been actually playing this game lately. i need to update the config to include the "use pixel shader" option. also, i use the FF7 fix, but like i noted above, i dont think it honestly matters (according to Kane). i also noted that Radeons freeze with Very High X, and i added a quick blurb on shader support.

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
Re: perfect config, OGL2, FF7

Wow, i'm going to try this out. Thanks a bunch.

ready2rumbelX oO

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i hope more than one person looks at this....oh well.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

well that config is for Pete's OpenGL2.

but personally i use Eternal 1.41 for sound and Sapu's for CDR

·
Registered
3 Posts

That config runs great with my card, but I prefer setting it to fullscreen with max resolution :thumb:

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

yeah, it has a nice fullscreen filter

·
Registered
16 Posts
My tweaks

I find that setting hi-res textures to 2 makes the night sky background in the oden summon look much nicer. Otherwise you can see the lines between the texture tiles. I'm running a GeForceFX 5900 oc'd to ultra speeds (50mhz core clock difference). :thumb:

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill try that out, thank you. i have never used Hi-Res textures at all (besides a bit of 2xSAI) so ill check it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
:evil: ur not even using the newest version of it. personally im using this,

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.5
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: RADEON 9800 Pro x86/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 1280x960 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 2
- Keep psx aspect ratio: on
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 4
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: on
- VRam size: 128 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 2
- Framebuffer uploads: 2

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: off
- Shader effects: 1/1
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: on [00000002]

the above specs works like a charm for me. looks about as good as this game is going to get, and almost always at 60fps. oh yeah, im running a P4 1.8Ghz machine with only 256mb of ram. and its only SDRAM too!!! uggh i hate my machines memory i defienetly need to upgrade. anyways, the above should work for almost everyone, cept u might want to change the resolution to ur preference.

btw, how do u take a picture of the configurer? it would be quite useful to know.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
newest version of it? :???: the settings are the same no matter what version, buddy. on a side note, i get a nasty pause when FE is at 1 or 2, so i put it at 3. and keeping the PSX aspect ratio? with that on you'll spend the entire game looking at an incorrect aspect ratio ;)

btw, how do u take a picture of the configurer? it would be quite useful to know.
press printscreen (or alt printscreen for a window) and paste it into your favorite imaging program (anything from paint to photoshop)

·
Registered
18 Posts
well, i noticed u didnt have te newest version cuz u were missing the mdec filter button thingy. so there is a diffrence, albeit a small one. and thnx for the printscreen info. :)

edit: oh yeah, with the psx ratio thingy, it doesnt mess up mine, though it does change it when i open a menu or save or something, but personally i like it better that way.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ah, the MDEC filter. thanks for pointing that out :)

on a last note, you know what PSX ratio does right? the PSX has it's internal aspect ratio...which is streched to a 4:3 one by the PSX as it goes to the TV. so if you keep it on "keep internal" then it will keep that incorrect, non 4:3 one ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, i'm new here and I'm having some problems with your config, hushypushy.

I'm currently running FF7 with Pete's OGL 1.75 and it seems to be running fine and smooth. However, there's a bit of lag with the "battle swirl" like many have mentioned. I just tried this emulator today so i'll read up on how to tweak/fix it by reading Kane's config or other people's.

When i first tried running this FF7 with Pete's OGL2 plugin and using hushypushy's config i always get a crash upon loading the ISO. If i remember correctly, the crash error mentioned something about the "atiogl.dll" or some files related to that. Well i hurried and removed OGL2 plugin because i want to eagerly play FF7. So i tried the older version OGL 1.75 instead and it works!

Basic questions:
1. I was wondering how is quality of FF7 using Pete's OGL2 plugin? Is the overall quality much better than Pete's OGL 1.75?

2. I noticed these FF7 pictures like in this thread http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?p=215326#post215326 the person who posted the FF7 screens has nice and smooth graphics. According to him he "Turned off 2xSAI because it causes problems with the pre-rendered backgrounds".

Therefore, i tried to get these nice non-jaggies graphics so i went into my ATI -> 3D OpenGL Properties and enabled 4x AA and 8x AF and the game looked extremely better.

But i want to know are these settings only good for FF7 games? What other games would look good with AA or AF? Does that mean if i want to play some games that doesn't support this feature i have to disable these filters or it wouldn't not use it them anyway if there unsupported?

thanks.

System Specs:
Abit NF7-S (Rev. 2)
Barton 2500+, RAM
512MB Samsung PC3200
WD 80GB (8MB Cache)
ATI 9500Pro
Logitech Z-640

1 - 20 of 173 Posts