Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What settings will give me the best graphics while still maintaining good speed?

I'm running ePSXe on Windows Vista with a Compaq Presario f500 and an AMD Turion 64 X2 1800 Mhz Dual Core processor, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100 graphics card, and 2 GB of RAM.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Unless the GeForce 6100 Go can handle the OpenGL (1) plug-in, I'd say forget it on ePSXe. There is Direct3D, but it's outdated and inaccurate (especially in the Final Fantasy games). I shouldn't say it's not an option though. The other alternative is P.E.Op.S software driver, which would work, if it weren't for the fact that Windows Vista/Windows 7 break the way it displays things, so it always looks pixelated beyond use.

Here's my order of preference.

1. Try Pete's OpenGL (make sure it's 1.x version, not 2.x). Faling that...

2. Try the emulator titled pSX. It will pretty much give you what ePSXe set up with P.E.Op.S would have had it not had the issues with Windows Vista/Windows 7.

3. Try the Direct3D plug-in. You may like it better like software rendering either way, but beware that it's dated and inaccurate. Still, while OpenGL is everything it is and more, if you can't run OpenGL but really want to, this is the next best substitute.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, pSX works great and installation was easy. One problem though... FFVII looks just as bad as it did 12 years ago, in ePSXe the graphics seemed alot smoother. I'm going to try to get it running on ePSXe with the configurations you listed, thanks again man.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I looked up the specs on my GeForce 6100 Go and heres what I found...

Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GBps) 11.2 GBps
Fill Rate (pixels/sec.) 3 billion
Vertices/Second 300 million
RAMDACs 400 MHz

Supports: Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL® 1.5 APIs

I'm using Pete's OpenGL 1.77 and the graphics are beautiful, I only have 3 problems. First, and this is the biggest problem I have, whenever a battle is ABOUT to start ePSXe hangs for a minute. Second, game play is just a little slow, its noticeable but not a huge deal like the first problem. And my last problem isn't even really bad but when I go to select something the pointer looks funny. Below is a picture of my settings for Pete's OpenGL 1,77 and a picture of the weird pointer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I tried using the Fast settings, gameplay was faster but ePSXe still hangs before a battle, the graphics were really bad, and I'm still seeing that funny pointer... What settings will give me crisp smooth graphics while avoiding that annoying lag before each battle?

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
well the transition effect between the field view and a battle (usually labeled the "battle swirl") is a frame buffer effect and in order for those to be rendered smoothly you need some powerful hardware, i dont think you are going to have much luck getting that to be any more fluid with that card model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the transition effect between the field view and a battle (usually labeled the "battle swirl") is a frame buffer effect and in order for those to be rendered smoothly you need some powerful hardware, i dont think you are going to have much luck getting that to be any more fluid with that card model.
Yeah, my laptop isn't very powerful. Do you know if its possible to change the graphics card in a laptop? Is there anyway I can cut the lag from 60 down to 30 seconds?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.