Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,so all the way up to X-2 they used atb in battle on the FF series,I for one miss this ALOT for some reason I dont get the same feel for playing FF games as I used to,and I think this can be contributed to the lack of ATB maybe Im an order freak but I think at times without ATB sh** can get real confusing specially on XII with all the damn gambits and crap,and from what I see on the trailers for XIII it looks like its gonna be ALOT to do all at the same time.

I dont know I guess I just miss those old days of ATB battle it gave it more of a chess feel to me anyways,how does everyone feel about this factor?? do you think we've seen the end of ATB in rpg's??

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I take RPGs in all forms of battle systems. It's called variety.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Active Time Battles (ATB) FF4, FF7, FF8, FF9, etc.
Conditional Turn-based Battles (CTB) FF1, FF2, FF3, FFX/X2,
Active Dimension Battles in FF12?

I quite like CTB, as opposed to ADB.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Active Time Battles (ATB) FF4, FF7, FF8, FF9, etc.
Conditional Turn-based Battles (CTB) FF1, FF2, FF3, FFX/X2,
Active Dimension Battles in FF12?

I quite like CTB, as opposed to ADB.
yeah I seem to like CTB and ATB rather then ADB hopefully for those of us that are like this they will release something in the future with it...but Im not holding my breath.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
FF13's is more like ATB then ADB, which is good.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I didn't like the autopilot feel of FF12 because of gambits but I don't want RPG's to turn into button mashers either.

I haven't seen the right formula for me in a real time battle system yet but I'm sure someone will figure one out eventually.

All RPG's are slowly becoming Action RPG's anyway with the inclusion of real time features.

Thinking about it, I actually find there's more and more a blurring of mainstream styles in gaming. FPS's (well good AAA ones ayway) have great stories that are starting to rival some RPG, RPG's are leaving turn based behind and are becoming more action oriented. I think we're probably 1 or 2 generations away from having true FPS/RPG hybrids actually.

The only "hardcore" genre I don't see evolving is the RTS which I haven't seen evolve over the last 10 years apart from fancier graphics and more unit diversity. Even the adventure genre has somewhat been absored into action rpg now (eg: dreamfall).

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Is it really?? because when I saw the trailer it appeared that it was ADB sort of like XII.
It is. FF13 lets characters move about while the bars fill to give a feel for the ongoing battle. Sort of like what they did in Chrono Trigger... and I personally would call that Adaptive Choice Battle (ACB) simply because you just adapt your strategy based on the random movements and positions of characters on the screen... In some battles (boss fights?), it's not that random, but in some other battles, it makes you pull your hairs out trying to figure which skill would take down the most enemies... or which combo can be executed.

Chrono Trigger was awesome in that respect, and I would really love to see that kind of combat again.

·
SNES addict
136 Posts
I'd probably pick ATB. FFX was a good example of how it could be done right. FFXII at its core still uses ATB.

Still, I'm burnt out on RPGs entirely because I simply don't have the time to sit through 80 hours of battles anymore, random turn-based or not.

Chrono Trigger was awesome in that respect, and I would really love to see that kind of combat again.
Chrono Trigger's combat in which you could move your characters around to actually utilize some of the 3-way Techs that were position-dependent would be AWESOME.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.