Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all first post here.

Im from Ireland in the south and its nice to be able to ask someone finally what gives with my games :)

I have looked about but found nothing for vgs.

When I try to play FF7 the game starts fine up untill the first fight.

As soon as you tackle the guys near the train the text vanishes.

never to return even in menus or in speech windows.

Please someone help me out here.

When I try to play FF 8 forget it it wont even load.

my system specs are

I am running a laptop gateway solo 5300.
> under Win 98
> PIII 600
> 64MB ram
> Savage/IX w/MV 8MB
> ESS ES1980 Maestro-3. ESS ES1921 Audio CODEC
> Toshiba MK6015MAP 8* DVD
> 6 Gig HD

Thanks guys and its nice to be here.
I only hope my psx emulation will only get better

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Why dont you try using ePSXe 1.0.1 for FF7, I have the UK PAL version and it runs ok on that (dont use 1.2.0, you wont be able to get past the New Game, Continue screen). You can ePSXe 1.2.0 for FF8, I have the UK PAL of that too and it works fine on that too. I'm not sure about VGS with these games, but I can try tonight to see if I get the same problem, and let you know.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by Ulic
When I try to play FF7 the game starts fine up untill the first fight.

As soon as you tackle the guys near the train the text vanishes.

never to return even in menus or in speech windows.

[snip]

When I try to play FF 8 forget it it wont even load.
Yep, I had the same problem with VGS 1.41.

Regarding FF8 on ePSXe 1.2.0, I had to press F4 to get that to start. Maybe this will help you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW

FF 8 is some INCREDIBLE game.

OK it works great in ePSXe fabulous and graphics are great.

7 crashes on me just as the guys blow the plant and try to get out of the rubble.

I am a terrible card player :)

I still dont get it man the game is so deep there is SO much to get into.

Tell me though the graphics (IMOP) in 8 are a huge jump over 7 the chars look so lifelike.

I saw a clip of ff9 and the chars are back to the pint size blocks again whats up with that ????????

I have never played a FF game before but this is just exellent

Yours

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Hey so I'm not the only one here from the emerald isle eh? Only I'm from the north. Thanks for the free car wash on the border:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guy

Looks like EIRE is not so small after all .

Man thats Ireland for ya conquer the world by breeding in :)

So any valuable tips for me fellow Irish man and emulation expert ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
both work for me !!! maybe your CD is bad coz my game also a pirate CD and FF8 its broken @ first 1stDisk so i have to borrow CD of my Friend!!! (i wonder what CD-burner that He use) Stupid pirates go to hell exp: Kalisto on FF9 and Alone In the Dark (pal) Kalisto :mg: so :innocent:

·
Registered
54 Posts
yeah ofF course even i buy from the net it never delivered to my house, try to live in my country im really dying with all this sucks PROVIDER games

·
Entity Alpha
75 Posts
You can try and convert the PAL into the NSTC format with a converter from GameCopyWorld.com - then you might be able to play it successfully in VGS. Why don't you grab a PC version - the graphics looks nicer with 3d accelerator thing on.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think I know a way to fix it.

I got the same problem with yous, but this happen to be after I install directX 8 on my pc. because I know I don't had this problem when I got directX 7. I got the same problem with Bleem!
I was mean to get here and see if there is a solution, I guess there is none. any way that's it, so if you want to play ff7, uninstall window and reinstall directX 7, coz you can't install directX7 over directX 8, or else it will stuff window up!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got pal FF8 and It works pretty good with VGS 1.41 (even though it has its own prob.
see http://boards.psxemu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2265 ).

To make it work well enough to play, go to www.aldostools.com and get a file called gamestxt.zip. It will solve a lot of vgs related problems. Just put it in the same directory as VGS 1.41

Note: It has to be VGS 1.41. No other previous versions can use this file. Also, even with this file FF8 doesn't run perfectly with some grahical problems with some menu screens, particularily in battles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well......aren't there are pc version for both FFVII and FFVIII......
playing the pc version are much better than using emulators.......
plus the 3d textures are lots better than vgs --> 100% no 3d

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
There are PC versions of FF7 and FF8. They have 3D acceleration and work perfectly, with better graphics than ePSXe(depending on video card, Voodoo cards are best). I don't know if your Savage is supported or not. Otherwise, ePSXe is your best option for those games.

> I saw a clip of ff9 and the chars are back to the pint size blocks again whats up with that ????????

The reason Square went back to the cartoonish look in FF9 is because that's the way Final Fantasy was meant to be. Critics complained about the realistic look and technological setting (as well as the blankslate characters) and therefore, Square went back to the original Final Fantasy concept (medieval setting, super-deformed character, specific classes). FF3, FF4, and FF5 are the finest examples of "true" Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy Anthologies (FF5 and FF6) as well as FF4 are available for PSX and work on VGS fine.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Originally posted by Demigod79
There are PC versions of FF7 and FF8. They have 3D acceleration and work perfectly, with better graphics than ePSXe(depending on video card, Voodoo cards are best). I don't know if your Savage is supported or not. Otherwise, ePSXe is your best option for those games.
-Ahem- I've got a Voodoo3 3k and picked up FFVIII a while back and found that the graphics were HORRIBLE on that card, and if you upgrade, you can fix that problem and never play CounterStrike or any half-life related game again, because the drivers won't downgrade properly. I'm beginning to think this Voodoo3 was the worst piece of equipment I ever purchased! In its present condition, about the ONLY thing it can run reasonably well is emulation :(. I'm just thankful there's some psx games worth playing while I figure out which card I'm going to get next :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, my Nvidia TNT2 M64 aready done well in the game, if u're using Nvidia Geforce2 MX then i think it will be perfect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yummy Grass......Yum.......Yum...

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
On my Voodoo 2 1000 FF VII and FF VIII both work well. There are some glitches on FF VIII but nothing too serious. On my TNT2 FF VIII has absolutely horrible graphics (way too dark, looked 8-bit). And, surprisingly, it ran faster on my Voodoo 2 than my TNT2, especially on the world map where frames drop immensely. FF VII can have a patch to make it work with nVidia cards but it has glitches (some transparancy and lighting effects). I know a friend who has a Voodoo 3 2000 and FF VIII worked perfect on his machine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts