Next Generation Emulation banner

Few Zipping questions.

2K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  Prafull 
#1 ·
These two have really got me confused.

Can someone tell me whether all zip programs are similar in terms of compressing a file? I mean if I compress a 1.7mb file(epsxe savestate) using Winzip(and selecting maximum compression) its compressed to 1.6 mb only.Any other zip programs can further compress it ? Which program has the best compression ratio ?

The second question is more interesting. When I right click the same 1.7 mb file and choose add to zip option I still get 1.6 mb zip file.But when I right click and select add to zip and email option the file is reduced to 1.25 mb (as an attachment in outlook express).

So whats the point?

#29 ·
Originally posted by prafull
These two have really got me confused.

Can someone tell me whether all zip programs are similar in terms of compressing a file? I mean if I compress a 1.7mb file(epsxe savestate) using Winzip(and selecting maximum compression) its compressed to 1.6 mb only.Any other zip programs can further compress it ? Which program has the best compression ratio ?

The second question is more interesting. When I right click the same 1.7 mb file and choose add to zip option I still get 1.6 mb zip file.But when I right click and select add to zip and email option the file is reduced to 1.25 mb (as an attachment in outlook express).

So whats the point?
prafull - this is a _very_dated_faq on compression
interesting read btw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.