Next Generation Emulation banner

Few Zipping questions.

2K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  Prafull 
#1 ·
These two have really got me confused.

Can someone tell me whether all zip programs are similar in terms of compressing a file? I mean if I compress a 1.7mb file(epsxe savestate) using Winzip(and selecting maximum compression) its compressed to 1.6 mb only.Any other zip programs can further compress it ? Which program has the best compression ratio ?

The second question is more interesting. When I right click the same 1.7 mb file and choose add to zip option I still get 1.6 mb zip file.But when I right click and select add to zip and email option the file is reduced to 1.25 mb (as an attachment in outlook express).

So whats the point?

#3 ·
Originally posted by prafull
These two have really got me confused.

Can someone tell me whether all zip programs are similar in terms of compressing a file? I mean if I compress a 1.7mb file(epsxe savestate) using Winzip(and selecting maximum compression) its compressed to 1.6 mb only.Any other zip programs can further compress it ? Which program has the best compression ratio ?

The second question is more interesting. When I right click the same 1.7 mb file and choose add to zip option I still get 1.6 mb zip file.But when I right click and select add to zip and email option the file is reduced to 1.25 mb (as an attachment in outlook express).

So whats the point?
I could only answer some of those.... to the best of my knowledge, they all differ in compression algorithm.... *on average*, RAR and ACE give you much better compression ration compared to ZIP. Note that I said *on average*.. there are always special cases, ePSXe savestates being one of them. I tested all 3 just now, and WinZip gave me the best compression (although the difference is within 2-3kbytes only).

Now as for that add & e-mail option.... I'm not sure why there's a difference there....

G
#6 ·
I still prefer ZIP because it's the most used (same reason I prefer mp3 over wma)
...In the diskette days ;) I used ARJ a lot too. I still have it in my 'sacred utils directory'. That directory is VERY important and must be on every pc I use. What it contains? Lots of command line utils (also unace32.exe) :D ...and Alley Cat!

#10 ·
Originally posted by Samor
2.4? that's probably the mail + attachment...and maybe a little bigger...anyways, I dont think outlook compresses it any further....
May be winzip uses some special settings when you use that email option coz it just dont ask for any settings, just automatically puts it as an attachment in whatever mail client you are using.

#11 ·
Something is tricky here but I cant get it. Now if I zip the file and right click on zipped file selecting email file the size is shown as 1.25 mb while if I manually attach the same file from outlook express menu it shows it as 1.6 mb.:confused:

#12 · (Edited)
Originally posted by prafull

May be winzip uses some special settings when you use that email option coz it just dont ask for any settings, just automatically puts it as an attachment in whatever mail client you are using.
Oh I just remembered something... IIRC, Outlook Express seem to underestimate attachment size all the time... whether it actually compresses it a little bit further (doubtful), or they f***ed up the attachment size calculation in Outlook Express, I don't know for sure.

prafull, why don't you try re-saving only the attachment back to disk, and check the filesize.

#13 · (Edited)
I dunno but probably some **cked up function in winzip kairi00, it seems the size computation is screwed up when using the "zip and e-mail" feature of winzip, but using the attach function in OE gives the accurate size.. Just look at this i attached the same file using the winzip function and the OE attach function and they are giving different file sizes.. :eyes: .. :D

#19 ·
well... as a matter of fact, you could use winzip, winrar, winace or whatever, but a very good compression utility, (the one I use) is windows commander... a very neat one, that isn't just for compressing... let's call it a computer's "swiss knife" ,gotta check it!

#21 ·
Though I'm not certain if a Windows version exists, under Linux & BSD there's a compression program named bzip2. I've found that it tends to compress files somewhat better than ordinary zip. For instance, a binary system log file that's created where I work is limited to a size of two megs prior to it being swapped out. However, not wanting to just delete the file, I have a script that mails it to me after being compressed. With typical zip the resulting filesize was roughly 1.8 megs. Bzip2 compressed it to 1.4. A marginal savings, I'll admit, but it's space savings 'for free,' as it were.

Of course, my findings are relative. As someone above had mentioned, it all depends on the type of data. In my case, the log was already partially compressed. I'd imagine textual data would show a better compression ratio.

#22 ·
prafull, you got that 2.4 MB .eml file out of a 1.6MB zip because it get's uuencoded for email transfer. UUE files are encoded (not zipped) in text only so you could literally cut and paste a file from pure text and "unzip" it. Try this code, save it as .uue

_=_
_=_ Part 001 of 001 of file temp.zip
_=_

begin 666 temp.zip
M4$L#!`H``````-(L:BOZ67S_#@````X````(````=&5M<"YT>'1(96QL;R!P
M<F%F=6QL(5!+`0(4``H``````-(L:BOZ67S_#@````X````(``````````$`
F(`"V@0````!T96UP+G1X=%!+!08``````0`!`#8````T````````
`
end

#24 ·
Originally posted by Fou-lu
prafull, you got that 2.4 MB .eml file out of a 1.6MB zip because it get's uuencoded for email transfer. UUE files are encoded (not zipped) in text only so you could literally cut and paste a file from pure text and "unzip" it. Try this code, save it as .uue
I didnt get what you meant to say in the rest of the document.
Neway you were right.If I already convert the file in .uue format then the size has no much difference before and after conversion.

But I still didnt understand the so called problem (if it is the problem) where the size of attachment is shown reduced.

#25 ·
Uh, I meant that you get that code, copy it and paste to the notepad. Then save it as whatever.uue and unzip it.
About the filesize becoming smaller, that must be a bug in outlook or something like that, the file didn't got smaller, it just is being reported as smaller. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.