Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These two have really got me confused.

Can someone tell me whether all zip programs are similar in terms of compressing a file? I mean if I compress a 1.7mb file(epsxe savestate) using Winzip(and selecting maximum compression) its compressed to 1.6 mb only.Any other zip programs can further compress it ? Which program has the best compression ratio ?

The second question is more interesting. When I right click the same 1.7 mb file and choose add to zip option I still get 1.6 mb zip file.But when I right click and select add to zip and email option the file is reduced to 1.25 mb (as an attachment in outlook express).

So whats the point?
 

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
Joined
·
5,568 Posts
umm, the savestate is already in zip format, you can't compress it much more.. that's why zipping the savestate (for epsxe anyway), will not yield much improvement.. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by prafull
These two have really got me confused.

Can someone tell me whether all zip programs are similar in terms of compressing a file? I mean if I compress a 1.7mb file(epsxe savestate) using Winzip(and selecting maximum compression) its compressed to 1.6 mb only.Any other zip programs can further compress it ? Which program has the best compression ratio ?

The second question is more interesting. When I right click the same 1.7 mb file and choose add to zip option I still get 1.6 mb zip file.But when I right click and select add to zip and email option the file is reduced to 1.25 mb (as an attachment in outlook express).

So whats the point?
I could only answer some of those.... to the best of my knowledge, they all differ in compression algorithm.... *on average*, RAR and ACE give you much better compression ration compared to ZIP. Note that I said *on average*.. there are always special cases, ePSXe savestates being one of them. I tested all 3 just now, and WinZip gave me the best compression (although the difference is within 2-3kbytes only).

Now as for that add & e-mail option.... I'm not sure why there's a difference there....
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
save the email as a .eml file and check if the size really differs.

ACE and RAR are slower than ZIP, but compress slightly more...I think ACE2.0 has the best compression...
..unless you know Uharc :D
 

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
Joined
·
5,568 Posts
yes RAR and ACE seem to give better compression ratios.. although at the expense of being flamed to hell, the best or at least the one that always gave me a better compression ratio that ACE/ZIP/RAR was using CAB.. :D
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I still prefer ZIP because it's the most used (same reason I prefer mp3 over wma)
...In the diskette days ;) I used ARJ a lot too. I still have it in my 'sacred utils directory'. That directory is VERY important and must be on every pc I use. What it contains? Lots of command line utils (also unace32.exe) :D ...and Alley Cat!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I used ACE sometime ago but the ease of use drove me towards Zip.Neway I will try Samor's trick to check the size factor.(I recently mailed winning eleven4 save state in 14 minutes on my 33k really really slow connection).
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
2.4? that's probably the mail + attachment...and maybe a little bigger...anyways, I dont think outlook compresses it any further....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Samor
2.4? that's probably the mail + attachment...and maybe a little bigger...anyways, I dont think outlook compresses it any further....
May be winzip uses some special settings when you use that email option coz it just dont ask for any settings, just automatically puts it as an attachment in whatever mail client you are using.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something is tricky here but I cant get it. Now if I zip the file and right click on zipped file selecting email file the size is shown as 1.25 mb while if I manually attach the same file from outlook express menu it shows it as 1.6 mb.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by prafull


May be winzip uses some special settings when you use that email option coz it just dont ask for any settings, just automatically puts it as an attachment in whatever mail client you are using.
Oh I just remembered something... IIRC, Outlook Express seem to underestimate attachment size all the time... whether it actually compresses it a little bit further (doubtful), or they f***ed up the attachment size calculation in Outlook Express, I don't know for sure.

prafull, why don't you try re-saving only the attachment back to disk, and check the filesize.
 

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
Joined
·
5,568 Posts
I dunno but probably some **cked up function in winzip kairi00, it seems the size computation is screwed up when using the "zip and e-mail" feature of winzip, but using the attach function in OE gives the accurate size.. Just look at this i attached the same file using the winzip function and the OE attach function and they are giving different file sizes.. :eyes: .. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,853 Posts
Xev, prafull: ah... seems like the blame is on WinZip after all.... I couldn't test that myself because my WinZip is so old that it doesn't have that feature ;)
 

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
Joined
·
5,568 Posts
Originally posted by kairi00
Xev, prafull: ah... seems like the blame is on WinZip after all.... I couldn't test that myself because my WinZip is so old that it doesn't have that feature ;)
isn't upgrading free? why you lazy.. err. :heh: :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by Xeven


isn't upgrading free? why you lazy.. err. :heh: :p
I can't be bothered when I'm looking for my hentai pictures.... uh.... did I just say that out loud?... how can I explain that the freezing process has impaired my ability for internal monologue...... :heh: ..... :eek:
 

·
King of the Maggots
Joined
·
4,131 Posts
well... as a matter of fact, you could use winzip, winrar, winace or whatever, but a very good compression utility, (the one I use) is windows commander... a very neat one, that isn't just for compressing... let's call it a computer's "swiss knife" ,gotta check it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would rather ask the guy whom I sent the save state about what size file he got ?
"Swiss Knife" hmm,sounds more like a movie name to me.I will have to google search for it. :)
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top