Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doubt any dev will read this much less implement it but I'll post if just for discussion.

The CPU overclock feature is a really neat feature but sadly it's useless in most games, that's because most games don't have internal fps lock they simply run at whatever the CPU can push them, good example of that is Soul Reaver which most of the time runs at about 18fps despite the emulator saying 60fps, now setting the CPU overclock to 1.5x will make it run at around 40-60+fps which is a problem as this game was coded for 30fps meaning anything above that just speeds up the animations and gameplay similar to turning the emulator fps limit off.

This is really a shame cause in games with a internal fps limit CPU overclock can really smooth out the game for example MGS or Spiderman 1-2 which the latter has serious fps drops but setting the CPU overclock to 1.5x makes it a stable 30fps game.

So the idea is to either implement a limit to the internal fps to 25/50, 30/60 depending on the game not allowing it to go above said limit regardless of CPU overclock.
Or
Implement an automatic CPU overclock which will balance itself to keep that internal fps stable.

Any thoughts? Would such feature be even possible and would something like this be possible for other systems like N64 which also runs most games like crap.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Issue is w/ a emu like epsxe, the amount of devs they have on staff readily available to implement such a feature is scare compared to the Dolphin team or even RPCS3. Also, I presume that since their Android version is a commercial release, they're probably more concerned w/ their bottom line and would be more incentivized to add such a feature onto that platform.

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Issue is w/ a emu like epsxe, the amount of devs they have on staff readily available to implement such a feature is scare compared to the Dolphin team or even RPCS3. Also, I presume that since their Android version is a commercial release, they're probably more concerned w/ their bottom line and would be more incentivized to add such a feature onto that platform.
Sadly to say ePSXe development is dead on all platforms even paid Android.
Last update was over 6 months ago which involved minor fixes and update to the SDK and 64bit support to keep it working with newer Android.
Before that the Android dev was working on porting Pete's opengl 2 plugin, that's currently in beta ever since.

I understand that development is hard and as far as I can tell there's only one dude working on the Android port and none on others but I wish they'd update it at least once every few months even if it were minor updates and definitely concentrate on fixing already existing feature before implementing new ones like HLE and multi threading which both are still busted.

All that could be done if the devs were more dedicated or went open source so others could pick it up.
I'm not judging or anything as I do not know the devs personal life situation for all we know the original devs could've passed away in these insane times we live in.

Dedication is the key thou, take a look at Redream or PPSSPP both have very small teams but manage to push updates every once in a while and I try to support them whenever I can by buying the premium versions or via donations/patreon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You took the words right out of my mouth. ePSXe development is gonna eventually end up like Project64 did if it hasn't already. An emu w/ so much promise, but lacking the manpower to take it to new heights.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I do not think it is possible as a universal auto overclock will break games that rely on timing or frame rate. I mean it is possible to implement per game but it is setting a specific overclock, it can not easily overclock in real time and undo it as doing that can cause fps drops and lag as the emulation is expecting a higher clock and have it drop.

Easiest is setting the overclock beforehand and use hacks to get 60 fps, I mean that is what everyone is doing with a hacked switch... The overclocking is available in some PS1 emulators but the hacks, well it is up to people do the hacks and PS1 game hacking is pretty much dead, you would be lucky to get english translation once or twice a year but PS1 game hack, I haven't seen one for a long while.

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not think it is possible as a universal auto overclock will break games that rely on timing or frame rate. I mean it is possible to implement per game but it is setting a specific overclock, it can not easily overclock in real time and undo it as doing that can cause fps drops and lag as the emulation is expecting a higher clock and have it drop.

Easiest is setting the overclock beforehand and use hacks to get 60 fps, I mean that is what everyone is doing with a hacked switch... The overclocking is available in some PS1 emulators but the hacks, well it is up to people do the hacks and PS1 game hacking is pretty much dead, you would be lucky to get english translation once or twice a year but PS1 game hack, I haven't seen one for a long while.
Ergo the latter option would be more visible a hard coded FPS limit in the framebuffer which stop games running to fast when overclocked.

Thou as already said I wish most for further optimization and proper multi threading cause it's really sad when on my current mobile device I can run PSP/Dreamcast games at 2x res but im stuck with 1x on PSX, I mean I can do 2x but it's a bit chopy, and on PC forget about 4x unless you have a 4ghz+ CPU.
Granted it's all software based and on PC you can use opengl plugin but on Android the ogl plugin is really bad.

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe it's time for a Vulkan plugin?
I wish but we both know that ePSXe and plugins development is dead in the water, it's far more likely that a new PS1 emulator will pop out.
Plus it's not an issue of performance just optimization and bug fixing.
By introducing proper multi threading to the software plugin or fixing the opengl2 plugin.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Ergo the latter option would be more visible a hard coded FPS limit in the framebuffer which stop games running to fast when overclocked.

Thou as already said I wish most for further optimization and proper multi threading cause it's really sad when on my current mobile device I can run PSP/Dreamcast games at 2x res but im stuck with 1x on PSX, I mean I can do 2x but it's a bit chopy, and on PC forget about 4x unless you have a 4ghz+ CPU.
Granted it's all software based and on PC you can use opengl plugin but on Android the ogl plugin is really bad.
Really, I can do 2x and 4x PS1 games on retroarch on my android phone just fine that is you don't enable advanced features like fixing glitching polygons from real psx hardware. I was able to play on PSX games on x4 2ghz windows computer, if you can't then you are using the wrong emulator or settings, I mean have you tried SSSPSX? I found that on some games 4x resolution possible than on EPSXE years ago, I haven't used epsxe on pc for years so it might have been fixed.

Plugins is dead but why bother when you have Beetle PSX and PCSX Rearmed on retroarch.

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really, I can do 2x and 4x PS1 games on retroarch on my android phone just fine that is you don't enable advanced features like fixing glitching polygons from real psx hardware. I was able to play on PSX games on x4 2ghz windows computer, if you can't then you are using the wrong emulator or settings, I mean have you tried SSSPSX? I found that on some games 4x resolution possible than on EPSXE years ago, I haven't used epsxe on pc for years so it might have been fixed.

Plugins is dead but why bother when you have Beetle PSX and PCSX Rearmed on retroarch.
Well there's the whole issue of a bothersome UI that is RetroArch not a real fan of that, not to mention minimal support for pbp format for PS1 games.
Beetle PSX is really good if you're playing on PC and can deal with the hassle that is RetroArch, as for mobiles not really, you need a hefty phone not top of the line but a very good one, I use GPD XD+ for all my retro needs which sadly does not qualify as hefty.

As for pcsx-r it's worse than ePSXe, it has no visual improvements options hasn't been updated even longer than ePSXe and it uses outdated/never updated Pete's or Peops software plugin.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well there's the whole issue of a bothersome UI that is RetroArch not a real fan of that, not to mention minimal support for pbp format for PS1 games.
Beetle PSX is really good if you're playing on PC and can deal with the hassle that is RetroArch, as for mobiles not really, you need a hefty phone not top of the line but a very good one, I use GPD XD+ for all my retro needs which sadly does not qualify as hefty.

As for pcsx-r it's worse than ePSXe, it has no visual improvements options hasn't been updated even longer than ePSXe and it uses outdated/never updated Pete's or Peops software plugin.
So as you say not hefty and yet you expect devs to do more. Sorry but I never understand the many, many, MANY people on here and reddit constantly complain and use to compare Dolphin and PPSSPP to other emulators or even use DamonPS2 to say PS2 emulation should be possible on on current Android hardware.

Sorry but I had to vent, PSX emulation is not worked on as much anymore. So for missing features that is available on other PS1 emulators well try to contact emu dev to add the missing feature.

As for improved performance on weaker hardware to get 2x and 4x support.... Well PS1 is different in rendering in 3D graphics to every modern system so upscaling is taxing to be done properly not much can be done about that.

As for Retroarch UI, change the UI, Retroarch provides different UI, vastly different ones, including ones specific for Windows and even then there is third party front ends that work with Retroarch.

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So as you say not hefty and yet you expect devs to do more. Sorry but I never understand the many, many, MANY people on here and reddit constantly complain and use to compare Dolphin and PPSSPP to other emulators or even use DamonPS2 to say PS2 emulation should be possible on on current Android hardware.

Sorry but I had to vent, PSX emulation is not worked on as much anymore. So for missing features that is available on other PS1 emulators well try to contact emu dev to add the missing feature.

As for improved performance on weaker hardware to get 2x and 4x support.... Well PS1 is different in rendering in 3D graphics to every modern system so upscaling is taxing to be done properly not much can be done about that.

As for Retroarch UI, change the UI, Retroarch provides different UI, vastly different ones, including ones specific for Windows and even then there is third party front ends that work with Retroarch.
I'm not really complaining as pointing out what I hope for and there's definitely potential for it.
Beetle PSX requires hefty device because it's Dynarec mode is far from perfect.
On the other hand ePSXe perfected it's Dynarec but the devs never finished implementing multi threading, they started it with ePSXe 2.0 alongside HLE but then just stopped.

Beetle PSX has more features than ePSXe but ePSXe is far less demanding as in it can run games in 4k on a PC from 2010 and even on my GPD XD+ I could do 2x with minimal stuttering or I can use the opengl plugin to run games in native 720p with ease.
Something that Beetle PSX can't do even with Vulcan render.

I don't use the opengl plugin because again it's something that the devs left broken with many bugs.

Lastly please do not take what I say as complaining, I'm extremely grateful for the hard work the devs put into emulation and whenever I can I try to donate or pay for the paid version of the emulator.
I just wish that PS1 emulation wasn't dead as it is, as the PS1 is my all time favorite console from my childhood.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Look I wish it PS1 evolves progress more but I can use it to play all games already, better than ever. Sorry you don't have the hardware and I wish devs optimise as they improve emulators but that is left at the end more as accuracy is more important now as that what is lacking now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts