Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Adoven Darkeyes
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this been done? What's your favorite SNES Emulator? I've always used ZSNES over the others, seems to work the best on my athlon xp 2400+, radeon hd 4350, 2GB Ram Rig, a7n8x rig. but I've recently installed linux and heard good things about BSNES (higan now?). What's your guys' favorite according to compatibility and performance?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got to throw a vote for BSnes/Higan, thanks to its cleaner code and libretro.
If the UI or ressource consumption arent to your liking, recent Snes9X versions with improvements from BSnes should suit you better.
Agreed on the UI, but I believe Higan also has 3 available EXEs to run (One for speed, one for accuracy and one with a mix of the two). That should work well with people who have lesser than modern PCs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I currently use BSNES v073. It was the last version with the more user friendly GUI. My biggest gripe with newer versions (currently v094) is the insistence on using the library feature making multiple copies of my ROMs. The reason behind this was create the concept of game folders, meaning the ROM, the save file, the save states, and any screenshots for that ONE game are in one folder, and the emulator can run it from that folder. I'm all for it if doing it is OPTIONAL, which in its current form, its not. This makes testing a ROM hack on newer versions difficult when you're trying to ensure compatibility.

I like SNES9x, but there seems to be issues with some games I still play. Also, there is an issue with fullscreen that seems to cause some issues.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Snes9x is my favorites emulator on all times! BSNES or Higan is next one, just use modern PC only! :p

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
You've done it now.
You've gone and made a big mistake.
And the_randomizer can't allow you to think you can just walk away.
Zsnes is just.......let's just say there are certain, *ahem* quirks that are in need of discussion and people are in need of educating as to why Zsnes should be avoided like the plague, nostalgic reasons aside. I am very tempted to make a thread bringing up the pros and cons of Snes9x vs Zsnes. :D :D :D

Believe me, I can do very in-depth ABX testing and comparing to show why Zsnes is to be avoided. Major instabilities and accuracy issues being part of that. All I can say to the users? Good luck playing Earthworm Jim 2 with missing sound effects or Super Mario RPG with random lockups. Did I mention Star Fox or any SuperFX game not running properly?

Some people are very hard set in Zsnes for reasons that I'll never understand, at all, what ruins the emulator for me is the grossly inaccurate S-SMP emulation, many games have broken audio. Test Clay Fighter, the intro has a bit of a song, or Super Mario World warp pipe, shrink/grow sounds.

Order of accuracy:

Higan/Bsnes
Snes9x
????
Zsnes is the worst of the bunch. Fact. Not opinion lol.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Hi everyone, what is the best SNES Emulator for old computer? Something like a PC with onboard GMA 950 graphics.. Thanks in advance!
How old is it, and do you know what the processor it is? GPU isn't as vital for emulation as the CPU is.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Thanks for reply. My computer is ten years old, running Windows XP, and only has 1 GB of RAM, CPU 1.8 GHz Intel Pentium E2160, VGA Intel GMA 950.
Have you tried Snes9x 1.52 or 1.53 recently? The emulator should run just fine, I think.

I ran Snes9x in Ubuntu on my Intel Atom Chromebook CR-48 at full speed, with a GMA GPU, so, you'll be fine :D

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
No prob, but again, Zsnes' use baffles me when Snes9x is far superior, more accurate, fast, and more stable. A good test is run Earthworm Jim 2 on the two emulators; Zsnes doesn't use the audio streaming EWJ2 uses, and will have missing sound effects, Snes9x however, does and the game sounds perfect. Star Fox runs properly, and Square Enix games will sound perfect too ^_^ I want to make a thread comparing the two.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
I use the BSNES/Higan core in RetroArch, with the NTSC filter applied. The closest thing I can get to making the games look like they did back in the day on modern high res monitors.

To me, this is the bomb, especially at 1440p.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know why, but the NTSC filter (or any filter for that matter) just urks me. I know its designed to make the games look like an old CRT TV, but the brighter pixelated colors look better in my opinion. As for SNES9x, I notice that it has issues playing Donkey Kong Country, which my wife loves to play all the time, but not so much on ol' 073 bsnes.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
I don't know why, but the NTSC filter (or any filter for that matter) just urks me. I know its designed to make the games look like an old CRT TV, but the brighter pixelated colors look better in my opinion. As for SNES9x, I notice that it has issues playing Donkey Kong Country, which my wife loves to play all the time, but not so much on ol' 073 bsnes.
What issues are you referring to if I may ask? Are you using the most recent build of Snes9x and not 1.53 vanilla?

Hmmm...the test build site is currently down, I can give you a link if need be.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the latest testbuild and the intro and menu screens to DKC aren't emulated properly. The old school red tower that Cranky Kong is on playing the record player isn't there. Also Cranky and the record player show up in the menu when selecting a file.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts