Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PC's been giving me a lot of problems since last week. Here's what happened:

4 days ago, while I was shutting down Win7, the PC failed to shut-down properly. Next morning it simply refused to boot (got stuck on the Win7 logo screen). I have 2 XPs as well, but one of them failed to boot as well. The third one asked to run a scan-disk which I let it do. After ~half an hour of house-keeping it finally booted into XP. I then proceeded to booting up with Win7, this time it gave me the option to run the recovery console which I did. It took more then an hour, but after that it also booted properly. Though it did have some repercussions. For example I was downloading a Linux Mint ISO via uTorrent which was incomplete. It said the ISO was corrupt and had to start again. Also, eMule failed to start-up complaining that some of its installation files were missing.

So I thought my problems were over, well, not really. A few hours later, I left my PC idle and wen for a nap. When I woke up, I opened the monitor to find a typical DOS screen saying "Please insert a bootable disk and press any key" WTF? oO So I went into the BIOS and found out that the hard-disk boot priority was set to:

250GB IDE
640GB SATA
80GB IDE

The 640GB SATA is my main drive, how did the HD boot priorities automatically get altered?

I corrected the issue and Windows booted up as normal. But ever since the PC has been very unstable. Almost on a daily basis it crashes randomly and the HD priorities get altered as well. And sometimes strange things happen when I correct the issue and reboot. For example just now when this issue occurred I rebooted to find ESET Smart Security complaining that all of its modules failed to start and that security is compromised.

I am absolutely clueless as to what is going on. I'm guessing it's an issue in getting 2 IDE and 1 SATA HD to function properly so I've backed up all the data on the 80GB drive and disconnected it for good. This might solve the problem (only time will tell) but I'm still concerned something else might be to blame.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
*cough* not necessarily... a faulty south bridge can cause data corruption as well.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But.....I just brought this new HDD 1 month ago!

I'll run a test using Everest and see what the state of this HDD is like.

P.S. I disconnected the 80GB HD yesterday and ever since, it hasn't shown any problems. I remember a few weeks ago when I brought this HD I made a thread about how to get all 3 of my HDDs to work together correctly, but I was having problems quite similar to this. I disconnected it and the problems seized, then a few days ago I reconnected it to get some data from it and the PC again started to give problems.

So.....what possible issue could be there that is preventing 2 slave IDE and 1 master SATA HDDs from working together correctly?

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just gonna ignore the above post for the blatant trolling.

Hello? I'm booting from the SATA drive I have it as my master. Out of the 2 IDEs, the 250GB one has the master jumper and is hooked up to the master IDE cable while the 80GB one is the slave.

This is a civilized forum, take your trolling elsewhere. 14 posts and just barging into a thread like that doesn't go well.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
None of the drives are fragmented.

I ran ActiveS.M.A.R.T and everything's okay. Seems like there was something wrong with the 80GB drive.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
2,855 Posts
what's the buffer memory of that disk?
Anything less than 8MB is a piece of scrap metal.

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
And it's still giving you troubles?

Hmmm. It could be what Squall said. A faulty southbridge.

I also remember certain Seagate 80GB to be defective and there was a scramble of people wanting to buy them for dirt cheap...

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well...I thought the problem lied with the 80GB drive since after removing that the PC didn't crash yesterday. Today though, the PC crashed while I was browsing. But I figure something else could have been the issue. Cool Previews (as add-on) was messing up and when I disabled it the PC froze.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
........ check your hardware... cooliris/cool previews make use of hardware features...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.