Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy I could use you advice on a new gpu for my father in-law. Right now he has a pci-e 6800gt. And am looking at the $100 - $200 range. Right now I have seen this card and it seems pretty decent for the price.

Asus EN9800GT/HTDP/512MD3 NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512M DDR3 PCI-E Video Card - $129.95

My question 2 you all is do you know of a better card for around the same $ that can be found/ordered in Canada? Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

sbp

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does he plan on doing? Games? Emulation? Generic web browsing/email checking?
Gaming, a lot!!! Pretty much warcraft is his second life, he's hooked. we want a card that can let him run the game with all settings maxed out and last him a while before he needs another card.

thanks for any help with this....

sbp

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This graphic card should be more than enough for him.
which card, the 6800gt, or do you mean the asus 9800gt we are looking at?

There is a gpu indecent that comes with this story... he first had the 68oogt, then we put in a 7600gt, and all was great. Then he was having some graphics trouble, and could not load windows normally (safe mode loads fine), it would not load and he would get strange lines then it would just stop loading. So I thought maybe he should install latest nvidia drivers, and that did not change anything. So we pulled the 7600gt and put back the 6800gt and that seems to work fine but the game runs kinda choppy now. Maybe I should just do a fresh win xp install on his comp as it has been a while now. I have had him do a defrag and disk cleanup to see if that helps first. I have not heard how that went as off yet. But if it changes nothing maybe I'll just do a fresh win xp install.

sbp

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
9800gt of course. Which monitor is he using though ?
That is what I thought you meant but just thout I'd check as I thought that his 6800 was working smoothly before, but now with the lich king they have up'd the gfx a bit so I guess that is why it is now a little behind the times...lol

he use's a sony bravia 32" as his game screen at 1368 x 768 @ 60hz (or around that rez)

sbp

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For WoW a 9800 is fine. He might suffer slight FPS drop in towns like Lagrimmar or Lagforge but elsewhere it should be fine.
so are there any other options that are in that $ range that would maybe be a better choice for his wow needs?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just about any GPU will have slowdown in WoW with so many characters onscreen at once. My friend's GTX 260 Core 216 even had slowdown in those towns, as well as Shat.
so what would the next card up from a 9800gt be performer wise?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Not that I play the game or know much about it, but considering it's age and lack of great visuals I've seen of it, I'd wager it's more CPU bound at this point, with all the players it has. I'm not saying you won't see a benefit increasing the GPU, but what Dax said two posts up confirms this.

If he has PCI-Express, what CPU does he have? An older LGA775 Pentium 4, an Athlon x2, or a Core 2/Pentium Dual-core?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not that I play the game or know much about it, but considering it's age and lack of great visuals I've seen of it, I'd wager it's more CPU bound at this point, with all the players it has. I'm not saying you won't see a benefit increasing the GPU, but what Dax said two posts up confirms this.

If he has PCI-Express, what CPU does he have? An older LGA775 Pentium 4, an Athlon x2, or a Core 2/Pentium Dual-core?
ya, he has an An older LGA775 Pentium 4 3.2ghz (I thought pent D but I might be wrong about that).

thanx.

sbp

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Just about any GPU will have slowdown in WoW with so many characters onscreen at once. My friend's GTX 260 Core 216 even had slowdown in those towns, as well as Shat.
WoW is cpu heavy, not gpu heavy.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
^

For awhile now, Blizzards made WoW more dependent on the CPU then GPU. If you want a good place to buy GPUs for a great price, sign up to NCIXs mail list. They have some insane deals going on every week and a decent GPU pops on that list now and then.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
LoneWolf, he's in Canada, so you'll need to use the Newegg Canada site.

The GeForce 6800GT would be okay for that game. It might not do maximum settings with full AA/AF at maximum resolution, but I'd wager the CPU is lagging things more (especially if the lag is during towns or around areas with high player counts).

If he's willing to upgrade and spend $200, see if this sounds convincing to him. It's an overhaul of the core of the system. As it includes a new motherboard, you'd need to reinstall Windows, but you already sounded prepared for that anyway.

Motherboard
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-P31-ES3G LGA 775 Intel P31 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Trust me from experience, it's a great motherboard that can do decent overclocking.

CPU
Newegg.ca - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM
Newegg.ca - WINTEC AMPO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
If his RAM is already DDR2, you can decide to maybe drop off needing RAM from the list.

GPU
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-512I GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
I'm not sure why that's just about the cheapest 9800GT card, since it has a native HDMI port and a custom cooler, but it seems like a steal. It's even cheaper than all of the 9600GTs. Someone make sure I'm not missing some catch.

Before anyone asks, you could go with a E7400 and 4GB of decent overclocking RAM, but that adds ~$100 itself.

It's over $200 ($266.96 [242.97 without RAM] before shipping), but $200 is kind of hard for a new motherboard, CPU, GPU, and RAM, especially if you're talking $200 Canadian. He may have to stretch it (and if he's willing to stretch it more, go for the E7400 and 4GB of RAM I initially mentioned).

Otherwise, he'd be wasting money on a GPU or CPU alone. They'd net too little a return. The GPU would be a waste upgrading for that game (especially since the CPU that's already a decent match for the 6800GT would lag anything much faster), and I doubt the motherboard will take much faster a CPU either. I hate to say it, but that system's at it's end. The 7600GT is a nice bit faster than the 6800GT, but that was honestly not a big enough increase to warrant it. The build above, even though it's budget level, would be worlds better than what he has. If you don't want to waste money (sometimes, you have to spend more for more parts in order to really get your worth with PCs, or a single part may do next to nothing), then it's all or nothing really in a situation like this.

Just check the PSU make (brand), model, wattage, and one specific specification, the number of amps on the +12V rail, to make sure it' up to task (though this hardware should be powered by just about anything that's not really underpowered and/or crap).

Edit: A Core 2 Duo at the same frequency is much faster than a Pentium 4 at the same frequency, especially in cases where the program can use more than one CPU/core. To give you an idea, the lowest Core 2 based CPUs (the old 1.8GHz Pentium Dual-core E2160) was around par with the faster 3.xGHz Pentium Ds, while at the same time, running cooler (less fan noise) and using less power (less electric bill).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.