Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fatal Frame shuttered in US, EU - News at GameSpot

Tecmo confirms that Nintendo has declined to publish Grasshopper-developed horror game outside Japan.

The success of Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition and House of the Dead: Overkill have shown that there's a place for horror games on Nintendo's latest system. Unfortunately, Nintendo is apparently unconvinced of that, given that Tecmo has confirmed to GameSpot that Nintendo has declined to publish the Wii installment of its survival horror franchise Fatal Frame in North America and Europe.

Fatal Frame is nothing if not spooky.

"Nintendo holds the publishing rights to Fatal Frame Wii, which was developed by Tecmo LTD. and Grasshopper Manufacture and released in Japan on July 31, 2008," Tecmo said in a statement. "Nintendo of America has since then decided not to publish the title in North America--consequently, the title will not be released in this territory. As the owner of the IP, Tecmo feels very unfortunate that the fans of the series in North America will not have a chance to play the game, but respects the final decision made by Nintendo of America."

As with previous Fatal Frame games, the Wii edition drops players into ghost-infested environments with a magic camera as their only defense. Players can damage the threatening phantoms by taking pictures of them. The longer a spectre is held in the frame before the picture is snapped, the more damage it does, and a limited amount of special film serves as "ammunition" for the game.

As of press time, Nintendo had not returned a request for comment on the decision not to publish Fatal Frame Wii in the West, or whether it would consider selling the rights to another company.

---

*facepalm* Nice one. God i ****ing hate you nintendo.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Buying a Wii and complaining about not getting horror games is like subscribing to a Disney movie club and complaining that you didn't get Saw.
Except Disney actually releases Saw 4 but only in Japan, where it (supposedly) becomes the best-selling movie of the franchise (better than the PS2 games, for some reasons) , but decides to not release it anywhere else, even tho previous iterations have been released in the US/EU.

Also, this isn't people complaining about the lack of horror games, this is simply people complaining about the lack of translation for a good game. They would complain even if it was a kiddie game (LOL NINTENDO IS FOR BABIES), the genre here is not important.
(tho there probably IS a lot of people who would just buy the game to make the console look better)(Tho that happens on every platform from what I can see... Ok moving on)
(Yeah your post wasn't serious, but whatever =p)

As for the actual topic, it looks like they can't agree on who has the publishing rights. Based on some interviews Nintendo say they don't actually have it, even tho Tecmo seems to say they do. Also, I don't see this as a "The game will never come to the US", since they can easily sell it to someone else to do as they wish with it, but then it depends on who would actually want them. (Which may be the whole reason why there's no news about the game. Hell, I wouldn't publish it outside Japan if I had to make the choice. I'm just doubtful about what kind of performance it would have in the US.)

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
i don't own a wii due to the lack of good games (only must-try that's on the wii is madworld) but nintendo pulling this **** makes me want to support them even less (and i hate them enough as it is because of their "casual" marketing aimed at idiots who never play real games and instead buy **** like wii fit)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Except Disney actually releases Saw 4 but only in Japan, where it (supposedly) becomes the best-selling movie of the franchise (better than the PS2 games, for some reasons) , but decides to not release it anywhere else, even tho previous iterations have been released in the US/EU.

Also, this isn't people complaining about the lack of horror games, this is simply people complaining about the lack of translation for a good game. They would complain even if it was a kiddie game (LOL NINTENDO IS FOR BABIES), the genre here is not important.
(tho there probably IS a lot of people who would just buy the game to make the console look better)(Tho that happens on every platform from what I can see... Ok moving on)
(Yeah your post wasn't serious, but whatever =p)

As for the actual topic, it looks like they can't agree on who has the publishing rights. Based on some interviews Nintendo say they don't actually have it, even tho Tecmo seems to say they do. Also, I don't see this as a "The game will never come to the US", since they can easily sell it to someone else to do as they wish with it, but then it depends on who would actually want them. (Which may be the whole reason why there's no news about the game. Hell, I wouldn't publish it outside Japan if I had to make the choice. I'm just doubtful about what kind of performance it would have in the US.)

Holy crap, you just rebutted Spyhop with logic!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
You won't have to learn japanese because of this game Noja. It's comming to Europe next month (with a new - lame - name):

The text in the ad roughly translates to: ‘The next month they scare Wii’.

People are still complaining about Ninendo of America not bringing it to this side of the Atlantic though. I blame Reggie. =/

GoNintendo (04/16/09 - Today) said:
Nintendo’s non-existent explanation of why Fatal Frame IV isn’t being localized

Unfortunately I don’t have a comment for you at this point, but if one comes down the pipeline, I’ll be sure to send it your way. - Nintendo spokesperson

I hate being a pain in the ass, but journalists really have to keep on Nintendo about this one. We can’t let them get away with not offering up at least some sort of response. A redundant bit of PR would be better than nothing at all.
GoNintendo said:
Fans call out to Nintendo to stop Fatal Frame IV suppression

Are you still trying to get over the fact that Nintendo is blocking Fatal Frame IV from being released in North America? I know that I am, and my opinion of Nintendo has soured quite a bit. Until they speak on the subject and give a reason that makes sense, I’m going to keep this frown on my face.

I know there are many others out there that are still feeling that sting of love lost, but there are people that won’t let this unfortunate event slip away. The article below calls out to Nintendo in a plea to give the game a chance stateside. I don’t know whether grassroots efforts like this will work on the Big N, but anything is worth a shot.
Well, all we can do is to wait until a decent answer is given by NoA.

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
Gladiator: nintendo confirmed that was a mistakenly printed ad. to quote: "no current plans to release it in europe"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.