Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten this error twice yesterday while playing Disgaea DS on No$Zoomer, via No$GBA 2.6a. When I got this error, the game wiped out about 3 hours of my previous game saves. Can anybody tell me what would cause this to occur?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try moving your no$gba folder closer to your root directory. For example, C:\no$gba.
After about 3 months of playing this emulator, it did it for the first time on a 90-hour save file. Somehow, I don't think that moving it to the root folder is going to make much of a difference. However, thank you for your input.

·
Hopeless Optimist
3,100 Posts
Tempering with the sound option is known to produce this error, as well as some unsupported games at specific points.
As much as No$ is still the best DS emulator, its error messages are very poorly documented and carry little information of value.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tempering with the sound option is known to produce this error, as well as some unsupported games at specific points.
As much as No$ is still the best DS emulator, its error messages are very poorly documented and carry little information of value.
I haven't been messing with the sound... and the error only popped up while attempting to save after having played the game for 90 hours, and having hung around this certain area for hours before the error actually popped up.

I was wondering, is it possible that I could have corrupted my save file? I tend to abuse the fast-forward button on the emulator, and i've gotten into the habit of pressing it to speed up the saving process, since I save so much. Could that have corrupted my save file and produced the error?

·
Hopeless Optimist
3,100 Posts
Try and see. Fast-forwarding while saving might have something to do with the error, but I couldn't say for sure.
EDIT: Thinking about it briefly, your save should be safe (no pun intended). Savefiles only update after the emulation process is properly ended; or with No$Zoomer if you use the option. You only lost all data since the last time you started No$.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try and see. Fast-forwarding while saving might have something to do with the error, but I couldn't say for sure.
EDIT: Thinking about it briefly, your save should be safe (no pun intended). Savefiles only update after the emulation process is properly ended; or with No$Zoomer if you use the option. You only lost all data since the last time you started No$.
Ok, let me elaborate.

My save file was at 89h XXm. While trying to farm residents off of different items, I saved and reset the emulator at least a half dozen times over the next two hours. When I finally got the "memory messed up" error, my save file reset to the 89h XXm mark.

·
Hopeless Optimist
3,100 Posts
Reset is not enough. You have to either reload the game (File->Cartridge Menu), close and reopen No$ or use the No$Zoomer "File->Save Battery File (U)" option.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
because you reset the emulator.....I clearly remember saying (wherever read that you thought you read you had to reset the emulator) that the emulator must either be closed normally or that the game must be reloaded (!!! NOT RESET !!!) or another game must first be loaded for the save to be propperly written to the HDD.

I also highly advise against trying to fast-forward the save process....in fact it's an incredibly stupid thing to do...it's not like saving takes long just because someone decided they were going to be mean to every person playing the game and show a saving screen for 3 minutes whereas the actual save only takes 3 seconds....during those 3 minutes or however long it takes data that's required for a propper save is being allocated to the correct spot and trying to fast-forward that process may very well cause some form of corruption and is only asking for trouble....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before I respond to these posts, I want to say, as a disclaimer, that I am not arguing with any advice that is being provided, I am simply stating my experiences in hopes that any misunderstandings or misinformation will be cleared. (hopefully in the end, I'll end up having a new understanding of how this all works)

Reset is not enough. You have to either reload the game (File->Cartridge Menu), close and reopen No$ or use the No$Zoomer "File->Save Battery File (U)" option.
In the past several months that I've used no$gba (or no$zoomer), resetting the game (file -> reset) has been good enough to keep my save files from disappearing. I would save, reset, then click the X in the upper right corner to close down the program, with no issues the next day in retrieving my save data.

because you reset the emulator.....I clearly remember saying (wherever read that you thought you read you had to reset the emulator) that the emulator must either be closed normally or that the game must be reloaded (!!! NOT RESET !!!) or another game must first be loaded for the save to be propperly written to the HDD.

I also highly advise against trying to fast-forward the save process....in fact it's an incredibly stupid thing to do...it's not like saving takes long just because someone decided they were going to be mean to every person playing the game and show a saving screen for 3 minutes whereas the actual save only takes 3 seconds....during those 3 minutes or however long it takes data that's required for a propper save is being allocated to the correct spot and trying to fast-forward that process may very well cause some form of corruption and is only asking for trouble....
I don't actually know what it entails to make the game "close normally." As I said above, I usually just click the X at the top right of the screen to close down the program.

I realize now that speeding up the saves was probably a stupid idea... though if you've ever played Disaea beyond the main storyline, you'd understand the necessity of saving your game over and over and over again, many times within seconds, or a minute, between each other. I was just tired of having to see the same load screen so often lol. But I won't be making that mistake again, as I have a feeling that's what actually caused the problem.

·
Hopeless Optimist
3,100 Posts
Closing the emulator by clicking on the X is what writes the save-file (along with the other options I mentioned above). Resetting the game does not write the save-file and is unnessessary in that process. If however the game crashes before you go through any of those options, you will lose any data up to the last time you did.

·
ಠ_ಠ
2,598 Posts
Since the TC is using No$Zoomer, he could just force an update on his save file without having to close the emu by going to File>Save Battery File. As for the Memory Messed Up problem, try looking for a cheat code to reset or change the ingame play time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Closing the emulator by clicking on the X is what writes the save-file (along with the other options I mentioned above). Resetting the game does not write the save-file and is unnessessary in that process. If however the game crashes before you go through any of those options, you will lose any data up to the last time you did.
Actually, every time I've tried x-ing out of the program right after saving has resulted in losing my save file. I found this out a long time ago. Which is why I started doing a file->reset after every save.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
file > reset doesn't commit the file.

it only commits when the close emulation function is triggered either via exiting the app, or opening a new game.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.