Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
well, u can always overclock ur cpu, but i doubt it could handle this cuz' it seems it s an old cpu.
If u want to give it a try....
U could higher the FSB, for example ...don t forget to buy a good cooling system...

I don t recommend it tough.....

Bye

·
Registered
78 Posts
I definitly recomand O.C. it works great with my config:

Both Win2K & Win98 Se
Duron [email protected] [great Hein :D, I've try 1Ghz, but, it's [email protected]°C and win2K don't load :D]
GeForce2MX: Clock 215/Ram 200 @ C 235/R 215

Even If the CPU O.C. is very important, no Trouble, even when I encode DivX 4Hours @ 100% CPU usage :D

Just call me king Of O.C. or simply consider that Duron is very OverClokable :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
As athlon is OC, duron is (it s the same as athlons except the internal cache which is made w/ 64ko than 256 (i think...) of the athlons TB)

Well, his computer is based w/ a VERY OLD cpu...
I think that force the frequency w/ that one would be very hummm....dangerous, not recommended tHough. (thx adair ;) )

Bye

·
Registered
78 Posts
Of course I know,
it's just that I want everyone to know my great O.C.

Just wanted to have some feeback like:

"Hum Sekxx, it's really an HUGE... <font color=C0C0C0 size=-3>OverCloking</font>" :D
"Oh, from now, i can say:'I love Sekxx' "...
"Your right docteur: ' Sekxx, is good, Sekxx, is fun' " :D <-<b>Coldcut</b>
"From now: Sekxx hands my life"...

<center><font size=+3 color=FF0000><b>WelCom to Megalomania World :D</b></font></center>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh Yah!

Oh yah, it is O.C. as far as it can go. My 200mhz cpu can only go to 233mhz. And thats what I have it at. I have to OC from my mainboard too, not through the bios. And for it being dangerous. I have had it at 233mhz for 2 years now, and it hasn't done anything dangerous yet.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
If you don't plan on spending any more money, I think that's the best you can do. Otherwise, get a cheap ol' K6-3 processor or something (if your motherboard supports it).

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
hey, how can I overclock my k6-2 500
can anybody teachme, I need to know

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Originally posted by sekxx
Just call me king Of O.C. or simply consider that Duron is very OverClokable :D
ehehe I have a 600mhz OC @ 900mhz. No its not as fast as yours, but then you have to consider that you have a Duron and I only have a Celeron. Also I OC by using a A-bit slotket converter and upping the FSB from 66mhz to 100mhz. And I didn't have to increase the voltage to stabalize it.:D

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Swift Death,

on the hardware side, there isn't much more you can do without spending more money. you could overclock the voodoo3, but i think the bottleneck is still at the cpu.
If you want to spend money, definitely get a new cpu. but try to split some of that budget for RAM as well.

now about software.
Which windows do you use? If you use WinME it has the potential to be faster than any win9x, but ONLY after you tweak it; in default settings it's the slowest. for tweaking windows i think some of the others in the forum would be more helpful than me.

and lastly, i guess you were asking what plugins and settings you should use for better speed.
well, for gpu it's lewpy's of course. and i think 640x480 is fine; you wont get more performance gain from lower settings. but still, go thru all the Explain Setting and find the fastest options. For instance you can disable Banshee code.
what sound card do you have? in general the internal spu core is a good choice for speed. You could also try Iori's with the fastest settings described in the readme. And if you can live without sound, turning it off really helps speed up the emu.

Hope that helps :cool:

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
just buy a new pocessor and additional memory your system will definitely rockz

·
Registered
103 Posts
SephirothOmega
it depends on what motherboard u got..read the motherboard's
manual and serch for dipSwitch..
in case if ur bios does support FrontSideBus adjust(i doubt so..)
u dun need to open the case to adjust the switch..orelse u gotta
do it by manual ..somehow it's dangerous as u might fried ur CPU..
try this only u've enough confidence..my advice:p
btw..duron sure is OC monster..as far as i know..the king of Duron
overclocker run it's 600 over 1G.
Latest info:from what i heard ..k6-2 500 is tough..hard to oc..
the most it can do is 575..and very unstable..gotta increase voltage
..maitain the temperature under 30'c..additional better cooling fan.
hmm..lots of stuff to do..huh

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Forget, overclocking, there is nothing you can do to squeeze more power out of that system. Pentium 200 class computers can't cut it with todays emulators. Your going to need a much faster system.

1Ghz AMD cpu are about $80 USD. This is mad cheap.
And a half decent motherboard will run you about $60-70.
Couple that with a fair amount of RAM ($20 for 256MB of PC133 SDRAM) and you can upgrade to a new system for probably around $200-250.

so there is no excuse to upgrade now.

You soundln't even think twice about it.

you'll feel much happier afterwards.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Originally posted by liquid
Forget, overclocking, there is nothing you can do to squeeze more power out of that system. Pentium 200 class computers can't cut it with todays emulators. Your going to need a much faster system.

1Ghz AMD cpu are about $80 USD. This is mad cheap.
And a half decent motherboard will run you about $60-70.
Couple that with a fair amount of RAM ($20 for 256MB of PC133 SDRAM) and you can upgrade to a new system for probably around $200-250.

so there is no excuse to upgrade now.

You soundln't even think twice about it.

you'll feel much happier afterwards.
o_O
stop it u re just killing meee :mg:
the prices are so low!
in france (even if i think they re low enough), it nearly the double amount of money....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok Guys...

As you can see, I already have an awesome 3D card (the Voodoo3 200 PCI) I already have my CPU overclocked from 200mhz to 233mhz (and that is as far as it will go.) The plugins don't make enough of a difference to notice... So here are my system specs, i think that tweking windows sounds good because I haven't done that, and i have never heard of it. As for RAM, I am full for the moment. i only have 4 RAM slots, and they are all fill 2 16mb chips, and 2 32mb chips. As for buying a new CPU and mainboard, Best Buy is a little expensive, and I am only 15, so I am short on cash bacause I am always buying blank CD's and Games when I actually get enough cash. Right now I only got like $20 bucks. What can I do to tweak Windows.... specs are

HP Pavilion 8140
Windows ME
P1-200mhz CPU O.C. to 233mhz
Voodoo3 2000
4gb HD
4x CD-Rom drive
4x/8x/32x CD-RW drive
96mb of RAM (No more RAM slots)

If you need any more specs, E-mail me, or post here.
Thanks for all your guyses help so far.

E-Mail:
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have a thing to ask you:

Why have u chosen winME w/ ur system?
Win 98 or even 95 would be better to experience more speed (dunno if epsxe will work on win95 though).

ME is taking at least 50 mb of ram, and 98 is taking 30...
I think the best thing u have to do is (like u said: tweak ME, or change the OS)

Bye

1 - 20 of 30 Posts