Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who else played through it? I have to say it was a mixed bag, somethings were really great, some wasn't :p

First, I guess it's the second game since planescape torment to involve a necrofil :p, but this time it was all the more gross!

The story started out promising but later on everything went way too weird for me.

How much bonus content did you guys get?, I picked everything and still got points left is there anymore secret bonuses perhaps, that you have to do something special to reveal?

I wounder how many endings there are?

Lastly sorry if there was a post about this already but I did search and couldn't find it :p

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
theres a couple of endings, but forget about them, thats where the game is really lacking. i will remember it for the first 5 hours of ultimate interactive entertainment and try to forget about the last few hours of crappy... well.. crap ;)

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I bought the game as soon as i saw it and finished it the next day xD. But hey the game wasnt what i expected at all, not that it sucked, its still on of the best games i played, but i was expecting even better, well not exactly better, just diferent, like Chankast said it gets too wierd in the end oO

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
I thought some key parts of the story were missing in some places, such as the whole Carla + Lucas thing. IMO they didnt know each other well enough to be fcsking in a cold abandoned rail car the next day :p...

It was a good game, plan to buy it for ps2 when it comes down a little.

·
No preservatives™
965 Posts
Reichfuher said:
IMO they didnt know each other well enough to be fcsking in a cold abandoned rail car the next day :p...
Most people missed the dates on the chapters. Almost thirty days passed between the time they met and the time they engaged in their on-screen, carnal activities. ;)

Anyway, loved the game...until the end. The whole 'ancient Mayan ritual/New World Order/Matrix/Terminator' stuff was too weird, and didn't fit the tone and pace of the first 2/3 of the game. Felt like two very different games mashed together, with only a tenuous connection between the disparate parts. That being said though, I look forward to playing it again. Perhaps I'll find some little details I missed the first time; something that will help it all make sense. :)

As for the endings. Not counting the various "death" endings, there are three official endings, and they're all essentially identical. You can see them all by replaying the final chapter:

1. let the Oracle win
2. defeat the Oracle and let the AI win
3. defeat the Oracle and the AI

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good game, great story, until the end. But still it's a game that shows me that QTE's are ultimately a bad design flaw in gaming. This game relied heavily on it, which is fine, but when you start putting in QTE's for 'thinking' or to provoke self-dialoge there's a problem. I just wish they dev's that want to make a Movie just make a damn movie, and the ones that want to make a game would make a game. Everything in this game would have been all the more enjoyable if they had a good camera and more hands on control (imagine the scnes where QTE's were vital to staying alive, but doing it in Real Time instead?). Wouldn't have been as cinematic, but I don't play games to watch them if you catch my drift.

Still, it WAS fun. But it seemed like the end was rushed because everything up to being able to choose the perspective of The Oracle was explained well. And then suddenly the game just started throwing weird and odd things at you. New clan, Artificial Intelligence that was never introduced prior, Lucas dead (didnt explain that until a while later), and the most bizarre twist. Carla and Lucas gettin together. It's not that it came out of left field, I fully expected it to happen. It's HOW it happened. Seemed like they knew eachother for all of 3 days at most and they 'love' eachother (yes more days passed but all we saw was 3, and in those 3 not one single lick of caring for one another or even having a crush on the other...show some reason for it!)? Yeah okay. Thank you George Lucas! (I say that because this guy writes his love stories like George Lucas, things just happen for seemingly no apparent reason that you get to see). And yes I played the Euro version so things weren't cut out; but I kinda wish they were. Every sex scene I saw was not needed in any way shape or form to tell the story better; the dev said they had them in to show the love between characters....guess they don't know how to write to show caring and love or just moments that would make bonds stronger. Or maybe the voice actors had too much trouble being passionate with the microphone? Whatever it was, seems more like teenage angst was the reason.

Even with all that complaining though I'd strongly recommend the game to anybody, esp Shenmue fans. It's right up your alley. And I would definitley pick up the 2nd one if/when it comes about. Still I'd hope for less QTE's or at least more sensible ones.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The first half of the game the story is great, then it gets a little weird. I hope that if they make a second game they leave out the weird stuff and make the game more realistic.

All in all its one of the best games I have played in a long time even though you finnish it in one day.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first half of the game the story is great, then it gets a little weird.
It appears like we all agree on this part :D
---------------------------------------------------------------

If they get more resources for the next game, maybe the choices and everything will have a larger impact on the story, some things are really cool like it matters whatever you escape with a cab or the subway... what you do after the murder, etc etc. But I would like to see much more branching, and alternate storylines!

I know it takes an insane amounts of resources though, just to make two completely different branches are really hard... but in this case I think they could have made the game twice as short and with two completely different happenings instead! Seeing as how close to none liked the last part anyhow :D

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
well yeah, but its not that i mind weirdness... its just there here it was without any kind of context, they pulled it out of their asses without thinking that it was totally unrelated to the rest of the game. and the climx was so crappy, i hate it just like xenogears, where the second part of the game basically happened only in our imagination as well...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Exactly, they just needed to explain the end parts of the game with the same attention to detail they had during the beggining parts. It seems like they cut a whole lot of the game out or something near the end, because everything up to the point I mentioned (where the Oracle is a choice of perspective) was fine. Then suddenly it was like skipping chapters on a DVD movie just to get to the end quickly. They need more context.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.