Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I already have ePSXe working fine on two different computers running windows XP, but I am having trouble trying to run it on my home media server running fedora core 10. I have set up epsxe in /usr/local/games/epsxe, assigned appropriate permissions, grabbed the BIOS from my windows machines and downloaded some recommended linux graphics and sound plugins, but when I then try to start epsxe with /usr/local/games/epsxe/epsxe it doesn't do anything, it simply quits without producing either shell output or a dialog box / window.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,284 Posts
Do note that terminal commands won't work since Ubuntu uses apt-get and fedora uses yum. So instead of "apt-get install" use "yum install".
Also, since I never actually used Fedora I'm not sure if there are packages for the dependencies listed in the guide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Do note that terminal commands won't work since Ubuntu uses apt-get and fedora uses yum. So instead of "apt-get install" use "yum install".
Also, since I never actually used Fedora I'm not sure if there are packages for the dependencies listed in the guide.
I'm experienced with fedora, so I am aware of how to use yum. I didn't see any indication of dependencies for running epsxe, but I'll check the ones listed in the guide. Thanks for the link jonc, I'll make sure there's nothing there which could solve my problem.

Most of the dependencies weren't recognised by yum, and the others appear to be dependencies which would cause noticable errors. When I run the epsxe binary, there is no output of any kind, it just exits immediately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just tried using wine and the windows version of ePSXe, but I ran into rather unusual problems: I was configuring the graphics plugin and it suddenly logged me out of gnome and took me back to the login screen. It does this everytime I try to configure the plugins, and it happens anytime I try to actually start a game. Any idea why?

I'd rather get the linux version of ePSXe working, but if anyone can suggest how I might solve the problems with either the linux version or the windows version using wine, then I will be grateful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I solved the problem I was having with the linux version of ePSXe; I no longer get a silent quit when trying to run epsxe; I managed to find the solution on ubuntu forums of all places.

Anyway, I now get the following error message when trying to run epsxe:

EPSXE said:
./epsxe: Error while trying to load shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I checked using yum, and the libncurses package is installed and up to date, but I don't know where to find the libncurses.so.5 file. Any idea how I can resolve this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.