Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sony LCD is messed up in two years! :angry: And it cost hundreds more than other brands :hdbash: Did I made a mistake by thinking it would outlast the others just because it's Sony? (my only Nike shoes lasted longer than all others :p)

Now to the problem... it can't display black. In place of black, it shows bright gray color checkered with black lines :(
Is there any hope of repairing it? Its model is SDM-S71.

·
Forgot this place existed
100 Posts
Normally, a LCD screen can't really be repaired, what will happen , it that they will throw the LCD part in the trash and put a new one. Maybe you didn't have luck with that one but you could try to get another one from another brand than Sony, maybe they are only good in CRT and not LCD after all? :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
>>Did I made a mistake by thinking it would outlast the others just because it's Sony?

Yes, yes you did.

No matter what the brand things can fail at any given time. I bought really cheap things that never broke, compared to really expensive things that did right away. Monitors should last longer than that, but with newer techn ologies like LCD's you never know. Their so-called benchmarks" on how long it will last are purely educated guesses that aren't real. An example would be for CD-R's "Our's will last over 50 years!" Um, when they havn't been around for 50 years how the hell wuld you know?
! :p

Basically, don't let name brand things think tha they will last longer. CRT's seem to have customers being the happiest with quality and how long they last. Most last about 8 years without problems - but on the other hand, like anything else, one day who know? The apperature grill could blow up :p (didn't that happen to someone here) :D

I bought a Samsung CRT and it has been nothing but heaven. But i'm sure other brands are just as great. LG and Samsung I have had the best luck with.

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Player-X said:
If you don't have warranty for that thing I recomend launching it at Sony with a ballista and buying a Samsung LCD monitor
Dam... I was deciding between Sony and Samsung too... (at CompUSA).

How about the CTR monitors? According to Need help buying a new monitor.. viewsonic seems to be a good choice.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Out of all of them Samsung, NEC and Viewsonic are the best in quality and even price in most cases. To tell you the truth Sony monitors (CRT's in this case) are way over priced. From your experience in LCD's i'm sure you won't be going back to them for any either way. One thing I will say is it's best to actually see the monitor running that you will end up buying. Don't buy one online - unless yoiu physically seen it yourself turned on and displaying something. Monitors are one of those things that you should actually see run before buying.

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow... something funny happened :D

After reading the encouraging posts of Player-X and Knuckles, I went ahead and took the screen apart (while running away when connecting the power at different stages, just in case it blow up). For some reason it works now :lol: And I got a metal case out of it (too lazy to put it back on and it seems to do nothing) and some extra screws (forgot how to put them back :emb: )

Wonder how long it will last...

·
band
4,912 Posts
lol...a sony lcd without the best part of a sony lcd : the case >.< good luck with the monitor tho! hope it lasts :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
If you live in the United States buy only stuff from Cosco since they dont ask questions when you return your products. They have lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just make sure you have the box and receipts and you can return it whenever you want. Cosco is great place to get Plasma screens since they die after few yrs.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
It's called Costco guys :p Plasma screens shouldn't die after a few years, but if you're getting new pnes in place than hell. Rock on!

The only thing they don't like is if you buy with a debit card, then you get a few problems, but nothing that some sweet-talking won't take care of ;)

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Costco!! No wonder I couldn't find it online :???:
Searched for Cosco and came up with sites about a cargo company.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had my samsung 17" CRT for 3+ years, I'm very happy with it. Next time I buy a new monitor it will definately be a Samsung again.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Sorry for the confusion about misspelling Costco. I have been hearing that Samsung was the best for lcd's. I would get one but Costco in my city doesnt sell it. Gonna go check another town or something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts