Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really liking this game, contrary to what I said about the demo. The graphics engine is awesome looking, and the audio is just *amazing*. Level design can be kinda plain, but overall, it's a well done game. I'll go so far as to say it's loads better than Doom III in really every department (aside from engine efficiency, this game is a hog). Yes, it's even more startling. :)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
I agree totally. The audio kicks so much ass, especially the transition from slow-mo to normal speed :) Im at chapter 7/10 right now and ive enjoyed every bit of it.

Edit: BTW your shots need some AF/AA :p

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's not bad ingame though. Doesn't detract from the great experience. I really applaud Monolith, this game is just great.

I haven't messed with AA/AF much.. would probably affect speed pretty drastically. Unless you want to hand over your X800. :p

BTW, have you seen the new Adaptive AA option in Omega Cat 5.10? Really cool, works on R300 and up. :)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
cooliscool said:
Yeah, it's not bad ingame though. Doesn't detract from the great experience. I really applaud Monolith, this game is just great.

I haven't messed with AA/AF much.. would probably affect speed pretty drastically. Unless you want to hand over your X800. :p

BTW, have you seen the new Adaptive AA option in Omega Cat 5.10? Really cool, works on R300 and up. :)
Nah im on the ATi 5.10's atm, will check it out though.

·
Registered
858 Posts
cooliscool said:

whats adaptive AA?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=12254

EDIT: Here are some shots. Dosent seem to do much for fear, its more of a performance hit than anything. Also note that im currently bottlenecked with my AXP 2100+ even at 2.2ghz.

1. 6xAAA 16xAF
2. 6xAA 16xAF

3. 6xAAA 16xAF
4. 6xAA 16xAF

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, F.E.A.R doesn't use Alphas in place of actual geometry very often.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
In that case. Transparency Multisampling is really a better solution. Since the performance hit for it is practically non existent and it cleans up alpha textures nicely.

Anyway. I just got F.E.A.R and I have been giving it a go. Game is spooky as hell. And really making my computer cry on its knees. These shots are from 1600x1200 @ 2xAA/8xAF. I may drop the AA down to none. Because it really is blowing a hole through my machine. But I admit. This game has made my SLI setup worth it. :p And yes they are compressed something fierce. I need to install photoshop again.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,455 Posts
I love horror game.It run at reasonable speed even on my Junk PC.:p

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
KanedA said:
Monolith? the same Monolith which created SHOGO Mad? :)
and blood, lets not forget blood ;D

as for F.E.A.R. the physics are impressive but

the ending sucked big time

at least the multiplayer is muito r0x

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Nevermore said:
the ending sucked big time
Were you on crack at the time of playing? :p

It was a great way to exit something in the "horror"-genre. The Add-on will surely make use of what happened and what was said after the credits.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
i found the game repetative but i think the ending was very cool although a bit predictable.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just finished this game and damn that last level is still haunting me o_o
The storyline wasn't great but was engaging enough to keep me playing, bleh what do you expect from a FPS game..

>what kind of multiplayer this game got? I heard it was very weak, that's what is stoping me to buy it

The multiplayer comes with modes such as deathmatch, elimination and capture the flag, which aren't that great in my opinion but fun for a while.

Gaurav, what was said after the credits? I missed it, just skipped the credits..

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
TalkingANUS said:
Gaurav, what was said after the credits? I missed it, just skipped the credits..
You missed a phone call similar to the one in the beginning.
Genevieve: Senator, the outbreak has been contained.

Senator: And what happened to subtlety?

Genevieve: What we did was necessary... However, there is good news; the first prototype was a complete success.
Anyone who has played the game should have no trouble figuring out who/what was being referred to.

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
This game technically should have run all guns blazing on my setup, but for some reason, every five-ten seconds so it would stop, get all jerky and just be unplayable. This is at 640*480.

I managed to get quite far, but the said problem above made it quite predictable. Ambushes and scary moments really get their sting taken out of them when the game stops for thirty seconds before said events.

I nominate the F.E.A.R. "ion cannon" and Heavy Repeater as the best weapons ever in a FPS though. Man they rawk.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I just got this game today...

I found this weird about the game, perforamnce wise this should be running perfectly fine. Im running it at 800x600 with AA/AF both at 4.. used those same settings on Doom 3, which doom 3 runs fine. but this game sputters around like no other.. oO lagging around really kindof ruins the scarey moments when you can see them coming due to lag. i may have to turn AA/AF Off entirely and just leave it at 800x600 too see if it helps performance wise, but damn. Oh Well

EDIT
yes, this game runs like ass! oO even with AA/AF off I still get the occasional lag, but its not as bad as when it was on though.some reason i find this game a hell of alot more scarey then doom 3. but is it just me or is the dialog quality very poor?mainly when it comes to ingame transmitions.. i mean damn, i can barely hear what their saying. even with speech at 100%. meh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.